Microphone Guide

Macca

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Really good guide, I am most likely going to buy a microphone soon so I will be looking back at this thread, currently I am just using my Turtle Beach headset for it.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I bought a BRAND new Dynamic Mic, it has greater sound range and impedance, its awesome for singing but the question is it has HUGE jack that doesnt go into the laptop, so I purchased Female-Male Jack converter, which helped! But will this effect badly my voice quality???

Brickpro

GFX artist, Tech Reviewer, VFX!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Designer, Other
Um, I bought (Because I thought it was good) the Blue Spark, I know that PewDePie Uses it along with several other people, but, is it a good mic, I got it brand new for somewhere around $140 on ebay.

echoraven

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Like Blue being the be all end all which simply isn't true.
HA! I have a blue Spark that I use. I like that it has a mid emphasis button on it (and a neat wooden case) to help remove some of the "boominess" of my voice.

Don't forget sound isolation to keep background sounds from bleeding into your recording. I created an isolation booth using a plastic bin and some mattress foam. My under $20 solution. Someday I'll go the acoustic foam route.. : /

NalaNosivad

Reaction score
Um, I bought (Because I thought it was good) the Blue Spark, I know that PewDePie Uses it along with several other people, but, is it a good mic, I got it brand new for somewhere around $140 on ebay.
The Blue Spark is easily one of the best condensers you can get for the price, I would say.

bycarrie

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru
Great guide! I've been need to get a mic.

jamiedoesthings

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Blue Snowball – (Condenser)(USB) (I cannot recommend the ICE to anyone. It is never your best choice)
Thanks for this guide, even if I am extremely late to the party! I have to ask, though - what's wrong with the ICE? I have one (on the recommendation of my brother and a mutual friend, who both use it) and have used it for most of my more recent videos - audio is still my weakest area, so are there issues with it I'm just not experienced enough to spot yet? Thanks again!

SauceOne

The Sauce
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Even though I already have a microphone (Blue Snowball), this was a very helpful article just to help me learn a bit more about the different kinds that exist.
Often times, people do not explain the differences so clearly, so it can become hard for inexperienced people to understand certain concepts.
Thank you for taking the time and writing such a comprehensive guide!