Michael, Get out of Planning Mode!

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
It seems like almost daily I'll find myself in a creative moment of genius, where I will want to develop some concept, be it for an episode, channel art, marketing strategy, or just a tagline. I love the storm that ensues when I dive into these moments, but I hate how these trips into the forest can often be extremely unproductive.

If you have suggestions for how you get out of this, I would love to hear them. But more than anything, I just wanted to note that when it happens, There's usually something very important that I'm supposed to be working on instead.

Which leads me to notice something about how I procrastinate. I SHOULD be doing one thing, but I do something else instead. The "something else" is usually planning for the action that I'll eventually take. But the thing I should be doing is TAKING ACTION.

For instance, I should be editing a video right now, but instead I'm writing a post on a discussion board. Ok, point taken. Click "Submit Post". Close browser. Open Premiere Pro.

And.... Go.

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Open Premiere Pro.
eh... that gives me some more one to two minutes.... let's see some more posts... :p hehehe!

almost daily I'll find myself in a creative moment of genius, where I will want to develop some concept, be it for an episode, channel art, marketing strategy, or just a tagline
speaking for myself, I don't really believe that those are bright moments but a small growing obsession with my channel or videos or hobby call it whatever you want... :D

Kind more seriously, I usually follow a forum at the time. So visiting / checking this forum currently is not really time consuming... As for procrastination vs "I need a break" it is hard to tell. But sometimes I really need a break from whatever "creating" or "promoting" stuff needs to be done. (Again speaking for myself...)
:)

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
eh... that gives me some more one to two minutes.... let's see some more posts... :p hehehe!

speaking for myself, I don't really believe that those are bright moments but a small growing obsession with my channel or videos or hobby call it whatever you want... :D

Kind more seriously, I usually follow a forum at the time. So visiting / checking this forum currently is not really time consuming... As for procrastination vs "I need a break" it is hard to tell. But sometimes I really need a break from whatever "creating" or "promoting" stuff needs to be done. (Again speaking for myself...)
Obsession would be an accurate term in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: videoeditgr

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Google "procrastination monkey TED talk". It's brilliant.

Personally I find it useful to announce something that I am going to do. If for example you have a great idea for a video about how to make an amazing lasagna using fish instead of meat, tell all your friends and family, tweet about it, announce it on facebook... and importantly set a deadline. Say "Hey guys, I'm filming my fish lasagna video tomorrow! I'll have it published by next Monday so look out for it".

By doing this you put yourself under pressure to complete a project so that you do not let people down. That may be the kind of pressure you need to convert a good idea to a finished project.

Reactions: Michael Masters

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
you put yourself under pressure
although i really like it as an idea, i wouldn't really stand deadlines that do not pay the bills.

also it might work the opposite way if friends family and the rest
don't really show interest on e.g. the fish lasagna example...

Lekjih

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I work well with eadlines if they're actually a deadline, but gotta second the above, if no one shows interest, you kinda feel like what was the point.

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Google "procrastination monkey TED talk". It's brilliant.

Personally I find it useful to announce something that I am going to do. If for example you have a great idea for a video about how to make an amazing lasagna using fish instead of meat, tell all your friends and family, tweet about it, announce it on facebook... and importantly set a deadline. Say "Hey guys, I'm filming my fish lasagna video tomorrow! I'll have it published by next Monday so look out for it".

By doing this you put yourself under pressure to complete a project so that you do not let people down. That may be the kind of pressure you need to convert a good idea to a finished project.
That is some very practical advice. It sounds like you understand the struggle!

I work well with eadlines if they're actually a deadline, but gotta second the above, if no one shows interest, you kinda feel like what was the point.
I can understand how the lack of interest of family and friends would make you wonder "what's the point?" But I think that Yachts for Sale was suggesting that the deadline you're setting is not based on your audience's interest, but on your commitment to getting the project done. Although, I'm sure that their excitement would add fuel to the fire!! lol

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I can understand how the lack of interest of family and friends would make you wonder "what's the point?" But I think that Yachts for Sale was suggesting that the deadline you're setting is not based on your audience's interest, but on your commitment to getting the project done. Although, I'm sure that their excitement would add fuel to the fire!! lol
That's correct.
You asked for advice on what works for us, and this advice works for me. If I have told people I am going to do something, I have an inbuilt need to see it through and to do it...irrespective of whether other people care or not.
My channel has now reached a certain momentum that I don't need to do this anymore, but in the early days that I was trying to get into a routine of regular videos it was really helpful.

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Oh man, I do this too. What actually helps me FINALLY get things done (when I actually do get things done) is to just stop nitpicking it, or the planning part of it, and stop worrying if it's not going to be good enough. It also helps to tell someone that can be annoying about it. Like, I can tell my sister I'm working on this video idea and she can ask me about it later and if I'm not done with it.... well, it kind of makes me frustrated but it does make me do it usually.

I'm also an idea person so I may have an idea, start planning it, then have another idea, start planning that one, the first idea never becomes anything, then another idea comes along and.... well, you get it. Eventually though I have to FINISH something. Trying to be better at that lately. Best of luck to you! I hope we both figure it out!

Michael Masters

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I love that idea... to tell somebody else about it. Perhaps my brother might be a good candidate...Thanks!

I'm also an idea person so I may have an idea, start planning it, then have another idea, start planning that one, the first idea never becomes anything, then another idea comes along and.... well, you get it. Eventually though I have to FINISH something. Trying to be better at that lately. Best of luck to you! I hope we both figure it out!
OMG, I can totally relate! I would be so lost without my journal. Just finish the thing already, Michael! haha.

btw, I just checked out your channel. What a voice, Sister, and a fun personality! I don't usually subscribe to musicians, but you made me smile, and we can all use that regularly. Subscribed!

Reactions: Cassarilla