Mic set-up

Shlanga

Reaction score
Hi there peoplew!

Anyone here with a good USB mic and knows how to set it up properly? I've got two problems at the moment.

1. EDIT: SOLVED this one
2. There is this sound in the background, that is really annoying and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. I've recorded a little bit of it if anyone cares to take a quick look and maybe advise on how to turn it down, because it's always there.

http://kiwi6.com/file/85cd4sbmla
http://www.wikiupload.com/91VW9Z8YCZJBRR6

*Sorry, couldn't find any upload websites with streaming option.

While I'm waiting for my Blue mic, I'm experimenting with my new headset mic - it's a good one, better Turtle Beach than Tobuscus and other gamers use, and they don't have any outside sound in the background.

SOLUTION for those looking: I've reduced the noise to 99% by first checking the DVD quality in my Microphone's Advanced settings, then going to Enhancements and checking Noise Suppression and Acoustic Echo Cancellation. After that, I went to Levels and put Mic Volume to 100% and Boos to 20.0db, and it's seems it is working fine for me now.

oTradeMark

Reaction score
Regardless, of how good your mic is, having a good recording environment is just as important if not more important that the mic itself. I use a blue yeti microphone and when I record out in the living room on the laptop you can hear background ambient noise in the microphone. In fact the blue mic picks up MORE background noise than my previous astro headset microphone. The way to get studio quality audio is to create an environment that lowers the ambient noise and prevents echoes/reverbs so it picks you up clearly.

Now that being said, there are things you can do to remove noise during editing with audacity and other audio programs. And you can also adjust your microphone and recording settings so that the background sound is minimal. All I'm saying is that higher quality mics pick up more of everything, so it might be better to try and improve your recording environment. I moved all of my stuff into a side room office to record and it worked wonders for me. I also turn my PC fan down to 10% while recording so you don't pick up noise from that. Things like fans, air conditioning, pcs, tvs, radios, etc all make some ambient sound so try to limit what is used in the area you record in.

Reactions: Shlanga

Shlanga

Reaction score
Thanks for that, TM. All valuable advice, and taken into consideration. However, I feel the environment I'm recording in is pretty good - there's no sound around whatsoever, and you can't hear my laptop fan working if you even really try. I feel this is something to do with the settings or the mic itself. When I turn on the mic on the headset, I can hear that sound in the background straight away through my headset. It's a distinctive sound that feels like it's into the headset itself. It's pretty easy to recognize from 2MB audio file I've uploaded. Can't figure out what the hell it is!

oTradeMark

Reaction score
Well I mean it's possible it's electrical interference (noise) that is causing it.

What program are you using to record your audio? And what is your microphone/headset?

When recording your volume should never go above 0 dB (max red bar) for digital recordings because past this point clipping will occur. Do some test sound recordings of yourself speaking like you typically would during a recording and make sure you aren't maxing out anywhere.

You also mention in your first post that you are trying to find the right balance of game audio vs voice audio. I wouldn't record the 2 of them together in the same program unless you have to ie live streaming or something.

Maybe it would help to ask what you are trying to accomplish? Are you doing let's plays or something? If so what game, software, and hardware are you using to record?

Shlanga

Reaction score
It's not a let play per se, but I'm doing it with a gameplay, yes. I'm using Fraps to record both video and audio of the the game, as well as commentary. I received a lot of advice that it's best to record your voice with Fraps, as it's not very easy to sync the audio and video together afterwards, and takes up a lot of time. I'm using Turtle Beach headset, and Realtek HD codecs.

I think it has definitely something to do with the headset itself or it's jack. There is this silent squeeky dull sound in the background at all times, and it not there when I record with laptops' mic. I can also hear this sound pretty clearly in my headset, as this is what the mic is picking up (it goes away when I turn down the volume on the headset or laptop), and control to which side of the headset - left or right - it goes to by pulling up the jack/plug out of my laptop partially and half way. It can't be broken, can it? I've got it just yesterday from Amazon. I feel there's something in the settings that I don't know how to adjust so that this thing would go away.

So it's definitely something with either the settings of the mic or the mic itself. Hopefully the settings, and I need to figure out WHAT![DOUBLEPOST=1343253707][/DOUBLEPOST]UPDATE: One more thing, if it will help anyone to maybe give any tips on how can I fix this.

I've turned off the microphone on the headset, and Mr Annoying Sound is still there when I recorded with Audacity. So even with the mic turned off, the record is identical to the one with mic turned on and me just being silent.

oTradeMark

Reaction score
First I would do a simple test with audacity (free audio software) and record only your voice and see if the background noise gets picked up.

Secondly, from your description I assume your headset is connected to the 3.5mm jacks on your laptop? Can you link me to your headset or tell me exactly which TB headset you have? There should be 2 ends for a microphone headset, a green one for audio, and a pink one for your microphone. The audio going from left to right speaker is normal when partially plugging in your headset, as you are passing the current through only 1 speaker at a time.

Once your headset is completely plugged in right click on your windows sound, go to recording devices, find your microphone, click properties, and the post what you have under listen, levels, and advanced... or just take screenshots and post them if you know how to do that.

Shlanga

Reaction score
Mic-on 4sec: http://tindeck.com/listen/kpge
Mic-off 4sec: http://tindeck.com/listen/oqth

Totally identical. Don't even know what to assume, but this is definitely not something the mic is picking up - it's something inside, or the reason are settings.

I have been using microphones before, and know how to set them up for normal use, like conversations, etc. Never had a problem with normal mics, and definitely to sound like that. I'll post the screenshots though, maybe you can see something in there, although I doubt it man. Gimme a sec.

oTradeMark

Reaction score
Your mic-on and mic-off sound identical to me, did you upload the wrong one? post screens or info on your mic settings

Shlanga

Reaction score
Your mic-on and mic-off sound identical to me, did you upload the wrong one? post screens or info on your mic settings
That's the thing - they ARE identical. But in the first, I just stay silent, and if I talked, it would've picked it up, whereas in the mic-off file the mic was totally off, and it didn't pick-up anything except for that annoying sound that is already there.

I'm using Earforce X12. I'll post the screens in a minute.[DOUBLEPOST=1343254671][/DOUBLEPOST]Here you go. Thanks for taking a look at this, means a lot.

I've tried the settings every way - changing levels and quality - nothing really changes except the mic output - louder or quieter, but the noise is still there.

Attachments

oTradeMark

Reaction score
What do you mean mic off then? If you only plug in the green jack into your laptop (leave the pink detached) and listen in your headset can you hear the bg noise?

For your settings, first off disable microphone boost under levels. This is software boost and isn't necessary unless you are too quiet at 100% microphone volume and 0% boost.

Next of all, try checking the noise suppression under enhancements.

Last of all, this headset is more catered to an xbox 360, hence the separate chat/game volume controls and 2.5mm connector to an xbox controller. It should still work fine for your pc but it might just be a bad headset.

You can see if your ports are bad by plugging in a separate 3.5mm microphone and testing that.

Try only plugging in the pink 3.5mm adapter and leave the green unplugged... then record a small sample of you talking with audacity and upload it.