Mechanical Keyboard

Shadeypwns

Laugh at your problems, everybody else does.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Really depends, some people have it quite a bit further and it causes no problems, depends on how loud you speak.
But yes if the keyboard is on a pullout tray in front that very well could be the reason :)
Edited my last post with some updated information. Change the position does help a bit, but doesn't even come close to removing the sounds from the recording, they're still clearly audible in the background.

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Edited my last post with some updated information. Change the position does help a bit, but doesn't even come close to removing the sounds from the recording, they're still clearly audible in the background.
There are some tutorials about manually removing them with Audacity by creating a filter but it is a bit tedious..
Mic sensitivity maybe a bit high?

Shadeypwns

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
There are some tutorials about manually removing them with Audacity by creating a filter but it is a bit tedious..
Mic sensitivity maybe a bit high?
Tried turning the mic sensitivity in windows to 30, with the gain knob on my Yeti all the way down. Not only is my voice insanely quiet now even with the mic a few inches away, but the clicks are still just as audible :(

This is part of the reason why I reached out to the forums, I have tried a few different options before and for whatever reason, what works for others has never seemed to apply to my circumstance. It's quite frustrating.

You also mentioned IRCs before, are these open communities? I'm not looking to spam or ask a bunch of questions, but I have an IRC client that I use to lurk in a few different places and it'd be nice to have a Youtube/Gaming channel to keep an eye on.

Styxie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Tried turning the mic sensitivity in windows to 30, with the gain knob on my Yeti all the way down. Not only is my voice insanely quiet now even with the mic a few inches away, but the clicks are still just as audible :(

This is part of the reason why I reached out to the forums, I have tried a few different options before and for whatever reason, what works for others has never seemed to apply to my circumstance. It's quite frustrating.

You also mentioned IRCs before, are these open communities? I'm not looking to spam or ask a bunch of questions, but I have an IRC client that I use to lurk in a few different places and it'd be nice to have a Youtube/Gaming channel to keep an eye on.
Well damn, not too much more I can do ..sorry :/
As for the IRCs you can try the one for /r/letsplay but it isn't too full of people
As for the other ones they are related to other things but people have some questions once in a while :)
Sorry for not being much help, hope you can fix it <3

Shadeypwns

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well damn, not too much more I can do ..sorry :/
As for the IRCs you can try the one for /r/letsplay but it isn't too full of people
As for the other ones they are related to other things but people have some questions once in a while :)
Sorry for not being much help, hope you can fix it <3
That's alright, thank you for trying, and thank you for the IRC suggestion. I appreciate your attempts :)

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I would suggest getting a Yeti and real microphone stand (I have a microphone arm that clamps onto my desk) this moves the mic away from the keyboard more and elevates it near the keyboard, i would then go into investing for the Yeti's custom shock mount to stop the vibrations of the buttons going into the highly sensitive condenser microphone :)

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
The Cardioid pickup pattern includes potential pickup of audio from behind the microphone.

The further behind the mic the keyboard is, the less will be picked up. Resonance from the desk is a possible culprit and shock mounting or external (mic stand) mounting would solve that issue.

Key clicks cannot be removed reliably in post due to the variance in sound between one click and another.

Another avenue you could try is to cover the back and sides of the mic with something that does not pass audio. Just to test and see if it really is just too close to the keyboard.

The problem with the -10db idea is that you do need to talk louder in order to keep decent volume later. Otherwise you can normalize it in Audacity (or program of choice) but the clicks will still be there.

Shadeypwns

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would suggest getting a Yeti and real microphone stand (I have a microphone arm that clamps onto my desk) this moves the mic away from the keyboard more and elevates it near the keyboard, i would then go into investing for the Yeti's custom shock mount to stop the vibrations of the buttons going into the highly sensitive condenser microphone :)
Please read the post more carefully before you respond. I have a Yeti, I have a real floor mic stand, with a boom arm.

Shadeypwns

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The Cardioid pickup pattern includes potential pickup of audio from behind the microphone.

The further behind the mic the keyboard is, the less will be picked up. Resonance from the desk is a possible culprit and shock mounting or external (mic stand) mounting would solve that issue.

Key clicks cannot be removed reliably in post due to the variance in sound between one click and another.

Another avenue you could try is to cover the back and sides of the mic with something that does not pass audio. Just to test and see if it really is just too close to the keyboard.

The problem with the -10db idea is that you do need to talk louder in order to keep decent volume later. Otherwise you can normalize it in Audacity (or program of choice) but the clicks will still be there.
I have a mic stand, thank you for the advice though. I'll block the back of the mic with something in order to test if it's distance that is the problem, and not wall echoes or something causing the mic to pick up the noises.

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Please read the post more carefully before you respond. I have a Yeti, I have a real floor mic stand, with a boom arm.
this isn't in the main post? :L or have i missed it? I just re-read the thread and didn't see this information.