Matched Content ID on a BGM video

Brunom1

Reaction score
Hey there,

I've started uploading a few BGMs for a game and a couple of the videos have been tagged for matching 3rd party content - I'm not monetizing anything in any of my videos and don't plan on doing so, mind.

Now, these BGMs are all remixed versions of actual songs (only the melody - there are no lyrics) and there are thousands of them across youtube just from this series alone; if I acknowledge the claim just to avoid the hassle of disputing it, would I be exposing myself to potential strikes, even if the song isn't the original, lyrical version?

I've since taken down nearly all BGM videos until I'm certain my channel isn't at risk of being suspended for this.

Thanks for the help.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
A Third Party Content Match simply means that YouTube has detected copyrighted content in your video owned by someone. When you get a match it means that either they have chosen to monetize content themselves which would display ads on your videos that they take the revenue from, or that the video is being blocked. You don't have a choice in the matter. You would lose a dispute unless you have a very very strong fair use defense and even then there's no guarantee as fair use technically only applies if it's brought to court.

From my own understanding of fair use and remix, there isn't generally enough of a "transformative work" in order to claim that the new production is actually yours.

Brunom1

Reaction score
A Third Party Content Match simply means that YouTube has detected copyrighted content in your video owned by someone. When you get a match it means that either they have chosen to monetize content themselves which would display ads on your videos that they take the revenue from, or that the video is being blocked. You don't have a choice in the matter. You would lose a dispute unless you have a very very strong fair use defense and even then there's no guarantee as fair use technically only applies if it's brought to court.

From my own understanding of fair use and remix, there isn't generally enough of a "transformative work" in order to claim that the new production is actually yours.
Well, none of the videos had been blocked for the hours they were up and I didn't see any indication that they were being monetized by the claimers - maybe it would happen eventually?

FYI: the remixes aren't mine; as I said, they were taken from a game, made by the developers with permission from the original copyright owners to create and use such remixes.

The developers weren't the ones posting the claim, mind.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
The thing about remixes is that they usually liberally use the source content which makes for an easy match by YouTube. Game OST are often supplied to various online distributors like adrev, audiomicro and others for distribution in certain countries and as such that content can get claimed by those companies.

Now, if you personally had the approval from the devs then that would be a different story. That said, it kinda sounds like you're not involved with the remixers at all. So, I think in this case you're kinda SOL. You can take your chances and see how it goes but you are operating in a niche of YouTube that does have a very high potential for copyright claims as well as strikes.

Brunom1

Reaction score
Urgh, alright...I'll just post it elsewhere and be done with it.

Not gonna risk getting banned for something like this.

Thanks, Tarmack.