Massive one day drop on January 25th. Is something new going on?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Those of us know that there is always a downturn in revenue in January do to the advertisers exhausting their budgets during the holiday shopping season. This has come to be known as the "January Cliff", where things drop, so it is expected. But things are usually stable by the end of January and start to turn around in February. Well, I had seen the expected downturn since the beginning of January, losing a little each day. Things had stabilized a little over the last week, but on the 25th, I saw a drop that was greater then I have ever seen. A 20% drop in revenue on a single day.

I have not changed anything in my performance and have not received any notifications from YouTube. So, I am wondering if anyone else saw a huge drop on the 25th like me?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The 25th January was the Chinese new year. It's basically their Christmas day and a big deal for Chinese people not only in China but all over the world. That was probably the reason. I didn't really see a big drop on YouTube but I did see a drop on a couple of websites I run. :)

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The 25th January was the Chinese new year. It's basically their Christmas day and a big deal for Chinese people not only in China but all over the world. That was probably the reason. I didn't really see a big drop on YouTube but I did see a drop on a couple of websites I run. :)
But I didn't see a drop in views, just a huge drop in revenue, views remained the same. I don't get hardly any traffic from China anyway. I am all green as far as compliance and have not changed anything. I release a video every week on schedule and have several premiers in queue for weeks to come.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it's not site-wide, in fact the CPM has been +$2 higher the last 3 days for me and I'm finally back to about 50% of my views being monetized (it dropped below 30% in the first half of January). However, I get only around 1k views/day, so the sample size might be a bit too low for proper comparison.

Last edited:

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So apparently it was just a glitch in the system because my earning jumped back up again today. Whew! I am still down 50% from where I was in the middle of December, but that is normal for my channel for January. I always drop around 40 to 50%. I wish I could figure out a way around this.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
So apparently it was just a glitch in the system because my earning jumped back up again today. Whew! I am still down 50% from where I was in the middle of December, but that is normal for my channel for January. I always drop around 40 to 50%. I wish I could figure out a way around this.
I don't think that's possible, I remember this time last year, the virtual reality news&reviews website I used to own 33% of had like a 90% decrease in revenue in January (Amazon & Adsense). It earned a crapton during December though, so it's just across the board, people buy more, advertisers spend more, and vice versa.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yeah ad spend is always lower in the first quarter because the consumers aren't consuming. ^^ - That is also the case across other media like TV and print.