Massive drop in views on kid channels

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Official Youtube response to the FTC written by an Attorney named Libby Weingarten can be read here

Lots of information here if you haven't read yet.

Reactions: lanks101

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
"The FTC should also ensure that the scope of the support for internal operations exception enables operators to provide high-quality and accessible services to children without parental consent where the data processing carries minimal privacy risk. We encourage the Commission to provide additional examples of how operators can leverage the currently allowed types of data processing in their services. For example, personalization in a child-directed product can be critical for providing children with age appropriate content and their expected user experience, such as providing content recommendations. We also encourage the FTC to clarify that the support for internal operations exception includes uses that are critical for effective contextual advertising on children’s content. These include conversion tracking and ad modeling, both of which can be essential for measuring the relevance and appropriateness of ads that appear on child content." -From Youtube to FTC

This internal operations exception under COPPA allows companies like Youtube to collect persistent identifiers from children without parental consent if the identifiers are only used for internal operations – e.g. personalizing content, protecting user security, or ensuring legal compliance. The FTC may be able to further clarify the internal operations exception and allow Youtube to help kid creators here. FTC’s interpretation, in the context of child-directed content, is that targeted advertising without verifiable parental consent is prohibited by COPPA and is not an internal operations exception.

Reactions: FamilyToyReview

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
"The FTC should also ensure that the scope of the support for internal operations exception enables operators to provide high-quality and accessible services to children without parental consent where the data processing carries minimal privacy risk. We encourage the Commission to provide additional examples of how operators can leverage the currently allowed types of data processing in their services. For example, personalization in a child-directed product can be critical for providing children with age appropriate content and their expected user experience, such as providing content recommendations. We also encourage the FTC to clarify that the support for internal operations exception includes uses that are critical for effective contextual advertising on children’s content. These include conversion tracking and ad modeling, both of which can be essential for measuring the relevance and appropriateness of ads that appear on child content." -From Youtube to FTC

This internal operations exception under COPPA allows companies like Youtube to collect persistent identifiers from children without parental consent if the identifiers are only used for internal operations – e.g. personalizing content, protecting user security, or ensuring legal compliance. The FTC may be able to further clarify the internal operations exception and allow Youtube to help kid creators here. FTC’s interpretation, in the context of child-directed content, is that targeted advertising without verifiable parental consent is prohibited by COPPA and is not an internal operations exception.
Great example of Youtube watering down COPPA. The ability to track conversions and “ad modeling” is basically business as usual. Which I think is fine since the description above is how Google was using the data anyways, to serve better ads and videos. Very clever how Youtube presents the request as if they are speaking on behalf of operators (us content creators). But really this is all about Youtube since theyre the ones in control of everything.

the last six months was a farce. Im still not sure if this was about privacy or ads. Because privacy was fine. Ads could have used improvement but their original solution to contextualize and serve random mature ads does more harm than good. All this wasted time and energy that could have been better used to protect kids from real harm like those elsagate videos or child exploitation. FTC, regulate that.

I admire some of the FTC members who genuinely seem to want to help kids. But theyre doing more harm than good. And Youtube is running circles around the FTC because they don’t know what theyre getting into.

And for the love of God, we are not website operators by any definition of the word.

Last edited:
Reactions: moshi and lanks101

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
"To ensure that families have access to high-quality content, we partner with organizations like UNICEF and PBS Kids to curate ‘collections’ within the YouTube Kids app. We also provide resources for creators, developed with children’s media experts, that offer best practices when creating for kids and families.These efforts and our continuing consultation with experts will form the basis of the upcoming $100 million content fund that we announced earlier this year." -Youtube to FTC

There is our answer to where the 100 million will go. UNICEF and PBS are great organizations, but this is just Youtube trying to appease. Not a penny will go to the hard working loyal creators that brought kids to the platform. I have a couple of contractual obligations that need to expire and then I'm taking Youtube LLC to federal court. I know it will get tossed in summary judgement, but I just want to make it to the discovery phase. We all deserve the truth and answers. To be clear, I don't care one bit about profit or ad revenue. We just want to be able to run our channel like we have for years with our views back and interaction. If this means zero ad revenue, I am fine with that. While I care about creators that made this a business, for us it is about dignity and being deceived by an unscrupulous company with incompetent leadership. A company that embraces progressive ideals of compassion and caring, yet in reality are hypocritical elitists that are grossly overpaid and rely on the work of a few people that actually know what they are doing while taking credit for everything they do for the few things they get right as a company. A entity led by a person that champions the cause of paid leave for parenting purposes, yet can't stand up for families that helped her become so successful and rich beyond belief (to the tune of 500 million dollars). The hypocrisy and lack of transparency from Susan Wojcicki truly shocks the conscious. Susan claims she works so hard for equal opportunity yet sits by idly while a company under her direct control destroys numerous minority and women operated kid channels. Youtube has allowed so many regular people to come from nothing and attain so much and now Susan is just going to let this all go away. Such a crying shame.

Last edited:

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
"To ensure that families have access to high-quality content, we partner with organizations like UNICEF and PBS Kids to curate ‘collections’ within the YouTube Kids app. We also provide resources for creators, developed with children’s media experts, that offer best practices when creating for kids and families.These efforts and our continuing consultation with experts will form the basis of the upcoming $100 million content fund that we announced earlier this year." -Youtube to FTC

There is our answer to where the 100 million will go. UNICEF and PBS are great organizations, but this is just Youtube trying to appease. Not a penny will go to the hard working loyal creators that brought kids to the platform. I have a couple of contractual obligations that need to expire and then I'm taking Youtube LLC to federal court. I know it will get tossed in summary judgement, but I just want to make it to the discovery phase. We all deserve the truth and answers. To be clear, I don't care one bit about profit or ad revenue. We just want to be able to run our channel like we have for years with our views back and interaction. If this means zero ad revenue, I am fine with that. While I care about creators that made this a business, for us it is about dignity and being deceived by an unscrupulous company with incompetent leadership. A company that embraces progressive ideals of compassion and caring, yet in reality are hypocritical elitists that are grossly overpaid and rely on the work of a few people that actually know what they are doing while taking credit for everything they do for the few things they get right as a company. A entity led by a person that champions the cause of paid leave for parenting purposes, yet can't stand up for families that helped her become so successful and rich beyond belief (to the tune of 500 million dollars). The hypocrisy and lack of transparency from Susan Wojcicki truly shocks the conscious. Susan claims she works so hard for equal opportunity yet sits by idly while a company under her direct control destroys numerous minority and women operated kid channels. Youtube has allowed so many regular people to come from nothing and attain so much and now Susan is just going to let this all go away. Such a crying shame.
This is ridiculous. Put that 100 million into re-evaluating advertising. I'd gladly not take a penny. Fix the traffic and ads. Nobody needs a donation. FIX the existing system that we have YouTube - you broke it in the first place. Susan probably became the bastion of equal opportunity for women that she is to protect her position within the company. Susan was Google's (not YouTube, Google's) 16th employee. She was there since the beginning - renting her Garage for $1,700/mo to Larry Page and Sergey to work from. I can't help but feel that 90% of the merit she has received is relationship-based. Maybe as the company expanded, she grew nervous? I'll tell you what I would latch on to - women's rights. I mean, we are smack-dab in the middle of California, and now she's in published pieces expressing her stance and how Google was supportive of her and her 5 children, etc. Fat chance that Google unseats this woman - she's fire-proof. She's undoubtedly a major part of this issue that is directly affecting us, but I'll eat my hat if anything happens to her in response.

P.S. YouTube - UNICEF and PBS aren't tight on money - your creators are. UNICEF is actually very obscure on where their donations go to at an analytical/results level. They love making broad statements about how much things cost, etc. Beyond that, no deeper. Good job YT. I'd love to say that I hope some other company will come and swallow your user base up, but you basically have a monopoly on internet advertising. Change your niche guys. Find the safest bleepity bleepin niche that you can and bang that new material out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Redterrors

anonymousssss

Reaction score
If YouTube marks your video as for kids, it’s easy to toggle. It doesn’t push back. It seems to be more of a recommendation. “We think this is for kids. Change back at your own risk.”

Also I haven’t seen any verification that YouTube won’t recommend Kids videos anymore. I don’t think this is accurate.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
If YouTube marks your video as for kids, it’s easy to toggle. It doesn’t push back. It seems to be more of a recommendation. “We think this is for kids. Change back at your own risk.”

Also I haven’t seen any verification that YouTube won’t recommend Kids videos anymore. I don’t think this is accurate.
Your videos may still be recommended as a suggested video but not at the same rate. It will be a suggested system similar to Youtube kids with no personal identifiers unless the FTC clarifies that the internal operations exception of COPPA will allow the use of personal identifiers to suggest video. I am not making this up. Youtube told the FTC this (see bold below). The Youtube algorithm as crappy as it is requires personal identifiers to work properly. When I say "properly" I mean by design of Youtube staff because nothing about it is proper.

"The FTC should also ensure that the scope of the support for internal operations exception enables operators to provide high-quality and accessible services to children without parental consent where the data processing carries minimal privacy risk. We encourage the Commission to provide additional examples of how operators can leverage the currently allowed types of data processing in their services. For example, personalization in a child-directed product can be critical for providing children with age appropriate content and their expected user experience, such as providing content recommendations. We also encourage the FTC to clarify that the support for internal operations exception includes uses that are critical for effective contextual advertising on children’s content. These include conversion tracking and ad modeling, both of which can be essential for measuring the relevance and appropriateness of ads that appear on child content." -

Last edited:
Reactions: anonymousssss