Massive drop in views on kid channels

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Of course the owner of the biggest kids niche MCN is going to tell us that everything will be ok in a year or two... her company's livelihood depends on it. She hasn't slept because she's probably been making the same empty promises to her clients and advertisers. There are zero signs that anything positive is coming. YouTube has not taken any opportunity that they could have to provide us with promise of a light at the end of the tunnel. (P.S. Melissa - watermarks can be a significant source of subs and there are very unique ways of using them that you should probably be educating your clients about).

Reactions: Duby

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
She is right about checking or not checking the box. So if you say your stuff is for kids you loose revenue. If you say your stuff is not for kids you will loose kids traffic and will barely have any views and low revenue. F...g FTC

Reactions: markkaz

Duby

Reaction score
What I do not understand is. if they are going to take away the targeted ads, because they will also eliminate us all the rest .. notifications, add to playlists, I like it, they will isolate us from everything, then seriously thinking about making videos aimed at children because the children's channels simply do not know They will suggest more. so any content created for adults will automatically become children's content

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Of course the owner of the biggest kids niche MCN is going to tell us that everything will be ok in a year or two... her company's livelihood depends on it. She hasn't slept because she's probably been making the same empty promises to her clients and advertisers. There are zero signs that anything positive is coming. YouTube has not taken any opportunity that they could have to provide us with promise of a light at the end of the tunnel. (P.S. Melissa - watermarks can be a significant source of subs and there are very unique ways of using them that you should probably be educating your clients about).
Whew! that was a painful watch. I think she is right though. Just not my style of communication. She does make some excellent points, except that I don't hate and never hated kids channels, and I am one of those mature content creators that have worked my butt off trying to scrounge up a couple of million views in three years in a very narrow niche. Dare I say less popular niche targeted at a very small subset of the American population. I doubt I will have reach million subs, because I don't think there are a million people in the US that would watch my stuff. When I went on socialblade for the first time and saw that the highest-rated YouTube channel was "COOCMELON", with like 30million subs, sure I was infuriated. But then I thought about it. Kids watch the same thing over and over again, and a lot of parents slap on a video in loop mode to babysit there toddlers for hours. I raised three kids and I can quote the Lion King line for line, let me tell you. I am a grandpa and I can sing every word of songs in The Little Mermaid. I have watch Cars so many times babysitting my autistic grandson in the last couple of years, I know every word in it. So, after I realized why kids channels got so many views I was like, "Good for them". I thought it over and tod myself, "I can change who I am to make content that will go viral. But will I be happy?" The clear answer is "NO".

So guys, I feel for you. I really do. I am fighting for you guys, not for me. I think I am pretty safe. But ever since I was a child, I hated injustice. In elementary school, I was a self-appointed playground monitor. If I saw a bully picking on a smaller kid I stepped in to defend the little kid. If I saw boys mistreating girls, I stepped in. I never threw a punch in my life, but I have pinned many of bullies to the ground until they gave in. I was fortunate that my older brother was a collegiate wrestler and I was his training buddy, so I knew a lot about how to hold people without injuring them.

There has always been something in me that rises up when I see injustice. My mother always said that I have a Crusader spirit. What is being done to these children's channel is injustice on a level I have never seen before in the US, and if I had the power, I would end it. I have some calls out to my political contacts and I am trying to raise the alarm at the congressional level, but this whole impeachment thing is just consuming everything, I wonder if the FTC has chosen to do this specifically at this time because Congress is so distracted that they will not take notice of the massive Constitutional violation and overreach of power that the FTC is committing.

Bottom line my legal contacts have taken a look at the situation and after recovering from fits of uncontrolled laughter and disbelief at how utterly stupid what the FTC is doing is, they have assured me that the FTC's position of finning Content Creators if ad companies run targeted ads on their content, will NEVER stand up in court. They predict that it will quickly be challenged and overturned by a Federal Judge. Now what this will do will protect us from the insane fines the FTC is threatening, but it will just place more burden on YT to monitor where they show ads, so this will make it even more difficult for children's content.

I believe at the end of the day, this is where this is all headed. YT will eventually have to verify every YT account against a real form of identification like a credit card. They will have to make account holders to swear to not share their account with children, and threaten to fine them (against their credit card) if they see unusual child activity on their account. All child content will be moved to YT Kids and be inaccessible from the normal YT app or channel.

All the above is my guess, but here is one thing I know for certain. Without money, the content goes away, without content, YouTube DIES. So youtube has a real vested interest in making sure that you kids content creators do not disappear. Like it or not, kid's content is the lifeblood of YT's fortune. YT's survival is tied to you. They will find a way to keep you happy.

As for my, I am not important and nobody needs me around. I know that. But I will fight for justice for you guys anyway because that is who I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duby

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I could not have said this any better. It amazes me how many family vloggers and gaming channels believe that adults are watching their content. Adults don't have the time or attention span to watch that stuff. Honestly how many of those views come from kids falling asleep with devices next to their pillow running auto suggested videos all night? Check the box and do your part to be the best kid creator you can be. Even if you are now just realizing that you are a kid creator.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Whew! that was a painful watch. I think she is right though. Just not my style of communication. She does make some excellent points, except that I don't hate and never hated kids channels, and I am one of those mature content creators that have worked my butt off trying to scrounge up a couple of million views in three years in a very narrow niche. Dare I say less popular niche targeted at a very small subset of the American population. I doubt I will have reach million subs, because I don't think there are a million people in the US that would watch my stuff. When I went on socialblade for the first time and saw that the highest-rated YouTube channel was "COOCMELON", with like 30million subs, sure I was infuriated. But then I thought about it. Kids watch the same thing over and over again, and a lot of parents slap on a video in loop mode to babysit there toddlers for hours. I raised three kids and I can quote the Lion King line for line, let me tell you. I am a grandpa and I can sing every word of songs in The Little Mermaid. I have watch Cars so many times babysitting my autistic grandson in the last couple of years, I know every word in it. So, after I realized why kids channels got so many views I was like, "Good for them". I thought it over and tod myself, "I can change who I am to make content that will go viral. But will I be happy?" The clear answer is "NO".

So guys, I feel for you. I really do. I am fighting for you guys, not for me. I think I am pretty safe. But ever since I was a child, I hated injustice. In elementary school, I was a self-appointed playground monitor. If I saw a bully picking on a smaller kid I stepped in to defend the little kid. If I saw boys mistreating girls, I stepped in. I never threw a punch in my life, but I have pinned many of bullies to the ground until they gave in. I was fortunate that my older brother was a collegiate wrestler and I was his training buddy, so I knew a lot about how to hold people without injuring them.

There has always been something in me that rises up when I see injustice. My mother always said that I have a Crusader spirit. What is being done to these children's channel is injustice on a level I have never seen before in the US, and if I had the power, I would end it. I have some calls out to my political contacts and I am trying to raise the alarm at the congressional level, but this whole impeachment thing is just consuming everything, I wonder if the FTC has chosen to do this specifically at this time because Congress is so distracted that they will not take notice of the massive Constitutional violation and overreach of power that the FTC is committing.

Bottom line my legal contacts have taken a look at the situation and after recovering from fits of uncontrolled laughter and disbelief at how utterly stupid what the FTC is doing is, they have assured me that the FTC's position of finning Content Creators if ad companies run targeted ads on their content, will NEVER stand up in court. They predict that it will quickly be challenged and overturned by a Federal Judge. Now what this will do will protect us from the insane fines the FTC is threatening, but it will just place more burden on YT to monitor where they show ads, so this will make it even more difficult for children's content.

I believe at the end of the day, this is where this is all headed. YT will eventually have to verify every YT account against a real form of identification like a credit card. They will have to make account holders to swear to not share their account with children, and threaten to fine them (against their credit card) if they see unusual child activity on their account. All child content will be moved to YT Kids and be inaccessible from the normal YT app or channel.

All the above is my guess, but here is one thing I know for certain. Without money, the content goes away, without content, YouTube DIES. So youtube has a real vested interest in making sure that you kids content creators do not disappear. Like it or not, kid's content is the lifeblood of YT's fortune. YT's survival is tied to you. They will find a way to keep you happy.

As for my, I am not important and nobody needs me around. I know that. But I will fight for justice for you guys anyway because that is who I am.
As someone that has actually been in a federal court room, I would challenge you to search in PACER, "FTC" and read how many times the FTC gets overturned. In fact, most of the time they win through summary judgement. Their actions are guided by some of the smartest legal minds in our country. I highly doubt that the FTC will seek action against any channel. As I mentioned in a previous post, they along with advocacy groups will be contacting Youtube asking for them to take enforcement action against channels that don't identify properly. There is a permanent injunction in place requiring Youtube to take action. I do fully expect the FTC to be issuing a huge fine to Ryantoyreviews or Ryan's World along with Pocketwatch, but that is not COPPA related.

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
While there is going to be a huge drop in revenue to a lot of channels, I think the huge channels will still get their views and have an audience. For smaller growing channels, kind of seems like it is the end of the road, not from a money standpoint but just from a growing point. If kids videos won't be recommend anymore, notifications will be turned off, you lose the community tab, basically your channel and videos will be buried with no chance for anyone to find you. With these new rules, how can any small to medium channel grow and pull in any views or new subs.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
As someone that has actually been in a federal court room, I would challenge you to search in PACER, "FTC" and read how many times the FTC gets overturned. In fact, most of the time they win through summary judgement. Their actions are guided by some of the smartest legal minds in our country. I highly doubt that the FTC will seek action against any channel. As I mentioned in a previous post, they along with advocacy groups will be contacting Youtube asking for them to take enforcement action against channels that don't identify properly. There is a permanent injunction in place requiring Youtube to take action. I do fully expect the FTC to be issuing a huge fine to Ryantoyreviews or Ryan's World along with Pocketwatch, but that is not COPPA related.
I am talking specifically about if they try to fine a content creator for the ads that an ad company places on their content, not anything else. There is no rational judge in America that would not throw that case out. You simply cannot punish people for crimes other people commit. Since it is not a crime or a violation of COPPA to create Content, and creators are not harvesting children's information, they have committed no offense at all. If the FTC tries to issue a fine, it will be thrown out. But I think you are right. They are blowing smoke and scaring people. Nowhere in the actually COPPA law does it even say that the FTC can fine creators for the ads that play on their content or even generically talk about this subject at all. They know they don't have a legal leg to stand on. This is the United States of America, we don't punish innocent people for crimes other people committed. At least not intentionally. When our country starts doing this kind of thing intentionally, it will be called, North Korea.

Reactions: markkaz

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
whose traffic is also dropping? It's like it was in July again?

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a previous post, they along with advocacy groups will be contacting Youtube asking for them to take enforcement action against channels that don't identify properly.
I think that kid creators will turn on kid creators too in terms of reporting channels. MCN's will keep an eye out and the small guys will report the big guys as with other violations or perceived violations (Moonbug Entertainment being called our earlier, etc.).