Massive drop in views on kid channels

basilico

Reaction score
The new changes will only take effect in January. The changes will not affect your income, they will only make you personally liable for FTC violations if you continue to allow YouTube to run interest-based ads on your videos. You can always turn them off to get rid of the risk, and if you do, that will certainly affect your income substantially. So the only real change is that now YOU are responsible for the ads Google runs on your content, not Google. So now, making money as a content creator has become extremely risky. We are now at fault for what Google does.
I have a food channel, but sometimes children watch. No words in video children, kids, toys.... in the title or tags. will this also be a problem? if its a problem, all channels cant stay in youtube after january.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I have a food channel, but sometimes children watch. No words in video children, kids, toys.... in the title or tags. will this also be a problem? if its a problem, all channels cant stay in youtube after january.
Everyone is at risk. No one is safe as long as they have interest-based ads on their content. It all boils down to what the FTC determines is "Child-directed), a term that they have intentionally left very vague so they can have the broadest possible interpretation. I think channels like yours and mine are at minimal risk, but the question is, are we willing to take the gamble of having to fight a federal lawsuit and end up possibly being fined hundreds if not millions of dollars, so that we can keep the revenue from interest-based ads? That is the question.

I am working on a script for a video making a plea to my subscribers. I think every channel out there should do the same. I am going to let my subscribers know what the FTC is doing and make it very clear that it may potentially kill off YouTube and all other platforms where content creators can earn money through ads, which is the majority of the content they watch and enjoy. They need to know that the FTC is about to essentially kill off user-created content. If every channel produced a video and encouraged their viewers to call their congressperson, the pressure would be massive and I think we would be heard. But I have little hope of this train of content destruction stopping at this point because very few people truly see what is about to happen and are just concerned with their own channel and the loss of view. People the loss of views is not even relative to what is happening. The FTC has made you personally liable to the tune of $42K per video for the ads Google shows on your content, and all you can think about is a drop in views! Really?

I am going to present my subscribers with my options going forward. These options are:

1. Closing my channel down because I am not going to work for free.
2. Moving my content to a fee-based subscriber platform.
3. Asking my subscribers to commit to a monthly donation (patreon) to keep my channel open and help me continue to produce content.

I was going to work on the video today but had a massive headache and it rained all day and I want to do the shoot outdoors in a natural setting.

Reactions: basilico

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Interesting article on Tubefilter about this:

Extract:

Whether or not you have an army of nine-year-olds, be warned! Buried in the lengthy $170 million settlement between the FTC and YouTube – dispensed due to the world’s largest video sharing site’s violations of kids’ data privacy law COPPA – are required changes to the platform and details on how advertising on YouTube will work moving forward.
These changes will affect thousands of YouTube creators who are completely unaware the vast majority of their advertising revenue could disappear in less than 10 weeks. But there is a brief window for creators to raise their voice to the FTC and have an impact on how we’re all affected. Here’s a primer to get you up to speed. (Click for full article )

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Signed. But I think it is demanding the wrong solution. We need to demand that the FTC completely stop targeting content creators for the ads that Google runs on them That is what we need to fight for. Creators have not control over ads. If an ads place on our content that violates the FTC rule, that is not our fault. We have no control. The only way we can prevent it is by removing ads, which means we lose our income, so it is the same as closing down. The FTC needs to stop punishing the content creator for what ad companies do, and for what parents fail to do by not control their children.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Signed. But I think it is demanding the wrong solution. We need to demand that the FTC completely stop targeting content creators for the ads that Google runs on them That is what we need to fight for. Creators have not control over ads. If an ads place on our content that violates the FTC rule, that is not our fault. We have no control. The only way we can prevent it is by removing ads, which means we lose our income, so it is the same as closing down. The FTC needs to stop punishing the content creator for what ad companies do, and for what parents fail to do by not control their children.
Why cannot youtube add a checkbox that by watching kids videos on the main site your child will be shown targeted ads. So a parent can opt in or opt out?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Why cannot youtube add a checkbox that by watching kids videos on the main site your child will be shown targeted ads. So a parent can opt in or opt out?
This is a great common sense rule, but this is not about common sense or what YouTube can do. YouTube has not say so in the matter. The FTC has said they are coming after content creators directly for the ads that YouTube shows on their videos. So, even if YouTube ask parents to "Authorize" their kids to view a video by checking a box, the FTC does not care. The FTC could care less that parents allow their kids to watch the video. The FTC has now assumed the responsibility for what kids can see and taken that responsibility away from parents. I have a video uploading right now that I am putting out to explain what is going on and tell people what they need to do. YouTube is washing their hands of it and passing the buck onto the creators. They do not want the responsibility of control what ads get show where. This is why they are giving us the choice of designating each video as "Child-Directed" or "Not Child-Direct". If you choose "Child-Directed" say goodbye to 90% of your earnings. If you chose, "Not Child-Direct" you now assume personal liability to the tune of $42,000 per video on your channel. In this way, Youtube has made it clear that they have no interest in trying to regulate where and who they show ads to. So the multi-billion dollar corporation with the largest and most advanced computer algorithm has washed their hands and said that we the little creator now have to decide where they can show ads. So what it boiled down to is this. The parents have passed the buck of responsibility of monitoring what their kids can do online. Google has passed the buck of controlling who sees their ads. The FTC has passed the buck trying to come up with common-sense rules that actually would protect kids. All these passed bucks have landed onto us the content creators, and we have no ones to pass the buck onto. So our only choice is to die, or to fight. I choose to fight. I have a platform and I intend to use it to raise up an army to scream loud enough about the absolute injustice of what is going on, that maybe someone will listen.

I am bypassing the FTC, as I believe those people need to be on some kind of medication. I am going straight to congress. We have the 2020 election coming up and I am going to make the case that if they do not step in and tell the FTC to back off, they may not win reelection. YouTubers have the most powerful voice in the world, if we unite together and use our power, we could really have a tremendous impact. I have family members that are deep into politics (I stay out of such thing if at all possible), and they might be able to get me a personal sit down with a very well know congressman. If that happens, I plan to not only push for congress to take action on what the FTC is doing, but also work on getting this congressman to work on a bill that will protect us in the future. I don't really want to go down this road of getting into politics, because it has cost me dearly in the past, but I cannot sit by and see this level of injustice being perpetrated by our government.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
This is a great common sense rule, but this is not about common sense or what YouTube can do. YouTube has not say so in the matter. The FTC has said they are coming after content creators directly for the ads that YouTube shows on their videos. So, even if YouTube ask parents to "Authorize" their kids to view a video by checking a box, the FTC does not care. The FTC could care less that parents allow their kids to watch the video. The FTC has now assumed the responsibility for what kids can see and taken that responsibility away from parents. I have a video uploading right now that I am putting out to explain what is going on and tell people what they need to do. YouTube is washing their hands of it and passing the buck onto the creators. They do not want the responsibility of control what ads get show where. This is why they are giving us the choice of designating each video as "Child-Directed" or "Not Child-Direct". If you choose "Child-Directed" say goodbye to 90% of your earnings. If you chose, "Not Child-Direct" you now assume personal liability to the tune of $42,000 per video on your channel. In this way, Youtube has made it clear that they have no interest in trying to regulate where and who they show ads to. So the multi-billion dollar corporation with the largest and most advanced computer algorithm has washed their hands and said that we the little creator now have to decide where they can show ads. So what it boiled down to is this. The parents have passed the buck of responsibility of monitoring what their kids can do online. Google has passed the buck of controlling who sees their ads. The FTC has passed the buck trying to come up with common-sense rules that actually would protect kids. All these passed bucks have landed onto us the content creators, and we have no ones to pass the buck onto. So our only choice is to die, or to fight. I choose to fight. I have a platform and I intend to use it to raise up an army to scream loud enough about the absolute injustice of what is going on, that maybe someone will listen.

I am bypassing the FTC, as I believe those people need to be on some kind of medication. I am going straight to congress. We have the 2020 election coming up and I am going to make the case that if they do not step in and tell the FTC to back off, they may not win reelection. YouTubers have the most powerful voice in the world, if we unite together and use our power, we could really have a tremendous impact. I have family members that are deep into politics (I stay out of such thing if at all possible), and they might be able to get me a personal sit down with a very well know congressman. If that happens, I plan to not only push for congress to take action on what the FTC is doing, but also work on getting this congressman to work on a bill that will protect us in the future. I don't really want to go down this road of getting into politics, because it has cost me dearly in the past, but I cannot sit by and see this level of injustice being perpetrated by our government.
This is crazy and so wrong. We as creators dont even have access to any personal info, ips, who is watching and what ads will show/ So wrong. I hope lots of parents will speak up if they want free good quality content

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I know a lot of people want everyone to unite, come together, and somehow reverse a decision that has already been made. This former attorney, now Youtube star, may want to brush up on how the legal system works in this country. The injunction is in place and Google LLC stipulated to it because they knew that they were guilty as charged. Attorney Christopher Olsen and Kent Walker (Senior Vice President) signed it. It has been ordered by the US District Court for DC. It is going to be pretty difficult getting a permanent injunction imposed over a stipulated order involving a significantly reduced fine overruled.

What people don't understand is this lawyer/family vlogger is not trying to save kid channels. He is worried because he knows that he can no longer erroneously argue that his content does not receive the majority of views from kids. Adults are not watching his channel, at least not until now. The sham is over.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I know a lot of people want everyone to unite, come together, and somehow reverse a decision that has already been made. This former attorney, now Youtube star, may want to brush up on how the legal system works in this country. The injunction is in place and Google LLC stipulated to it because they knew that they were guilty as charged. Attorney Christopher Olsen and Kent Walker (Senior Vice President) signed it. It has been ordered by the US District Court for DC. It is going to be pretty difficult getting a permanent injunction imposed over a stipulated order involving a significantly reduced fine overruled.

What people don't understand is this lawyer/family vlogger is not trying to save kid channels. He is worried because he knows that he can no longer erroneously argue that his content does not receive the majority of views from kids. Adults are not watching his channel, at least not until now. The sham is over.
I think he wants to stop this stupid law like all of us. he is not doing anything wrong just to benefit himself

Reactions: Jungle Explorer