Massive drop in views on kid channels

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Here is what drives me crazy, supposedly the algo treats all videos as equal, so never should a channel be discriminated against , so look at this graph, it is a graph of a video which has been slowly rising over the past few weeks, it's one of my 2800 videos which I created over the past 12 years.... I checked it the other day to see where the views were coming from, and I identified 3 videos which were feeding it views under the " traffic Sources " in analytics...so today the video was picking up nicely, starting to breakout, and peaked at 140 views per hour today at 12:00 to 1:00 PM my local time. THEN...out of the blue...it just stopped getting views...it went from 140 vph to 2 vph... it's like suddenly all the videos which were suggesting it, dropped it all at once. This only affected 1 video in my top 25 videos today.... I could understand if 1 traffic source lost the video...but all at once, it is like the video got pulled ....drives me crazy, This happens a lot. Makes me wonder why and how they do this to a single video. Anyway, here is the graph :
Iandrop2.jpg

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I would not read too much into this graph. I know YT is trying to offer "Instant" live results, but my experience has been that they are no reliable. Only long term graphs are really reliable to show anything.

So here is a 48 hour graph from one of my videos. As you can see, it is all over the place.

graph1.jpg

Here is a one year graph for the whole video.

graph2.jpg

This graph shows that the video performs pretty consistently over the year and is just coming down back to normal after having a spike. Spikes can happen for many reasons, but my experience has been that they normally occur when someone shares your video on a popular website and it is the talk of the town for a while. So while we might get our hope up when we see a sudden rise, the source of that rise is just temporary and it is just a spike in the normal trend. Long term graphs show us what we should really expect, not live instant results.

ahboy

Reaction score
Here is what drives me crazy, supposedly the algo treats all videos as equal, so never should a channel be discriminated against , so look at this graph, it is a graph of a video which has been slowly rising over the past few weeks, it's one of my 2800 videos which I created over the past 12 years.... I checked it the other day to see where the views were coming from, and I identified 3 videos which were feeding it views under the " traffic Sources " in analytics...so today the video was picking up nicely, starting to breakout, and peaked at 140 views per hour today at 12:00 to 1:00 PM my local time. THEN...out of the blue...it just stopped getting views...it went from 140 vph to 2 vph... it's like suddenly all the videos which were suggesting it, dropped it all at once. This only affected 1 video in my top 25 videos today.... I could understand if 1 traffic source lost the video...but all at once, it is like the video got pulled ....drives me crazy, This happens a lot. Makes me wonder why and how they do this to a single video. Anyway, here is the graph :
IanView attachment 43631
happen to me today.... argghh..

Attachments

• Angry
Reactions: ianmacdon

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Guys watch this leave a comment to FTC
Okay, so I just watched this video and several other videos on the subject. Now I understand what is going on. Wow! I feel like it is 2017 all over again for kid's channels. Sorry guys. I really feel for you.

Reactions: ianmacdon

Duby

Reaction score
Good morning, that is the problem that is not only children's channels, apparently they will extend the rule to attractive content for children, no matter who is directed, if it is considered to be entertaining for children and they will see children, turn off personalized ads, it affects all of us both for children's creators and for those who create recipes vlogs, experiments, trips, comedy, and for those who are not creators it also affects since YOUTUBE will become a lot of content focused on not being attractive to children , leave your comments and support

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Guys watch this leave a comment to FTC
I have seen a couple of articles and videos posted by this individual. He is very well articulate and obviously has the ability to understand the stipulated order for injunction that the District Court entered. It is my belief that some of his interpretations are erroneous and his true motive is to protect the sizable income that he receives from making content consumed by kids. An income by the way that is so large that he no longer has to use that very expensive law degree he earned. Family vlogging channels are primarily watched by kids. I will give him credit in that so far he is the only creator that I have seen that has fully comprehended the issue at hand, but a lot of his positions have fatal flaws.

The fight needs to be with Google and Youtube LLC which is making moves in direct violation of the Stipulated Order by intentionally reducing views for kid content creators and instead pushing content made for older audiences toward kids in order to preserve precious ad revenue. All of these comments and demand for change is pointless. This is coming from a kid content creator and someone that actually knows how this bureaucratic process works.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
WARNING! This is not only about monetization. The FTC is coming after content creators directly. Continuing to remain monetized might cost you a $42,000 per video fine. This is not a JOKE!

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Here is what going on to the best of my understanding. The FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is an American Government organization that has the power to regulate all forms of communication in the United States. They passed a law called the "Child Online Privacy Protection Act" known as COPPA for short. This law requires that all internet companies not use personal information to deliver ads to children under the age of 13 years old. Google owns YouTube and Google has an algorithm called "Google Brain" that learns what people want and delivers ads to them based on what they have learned about that person. Google Brain delivers the ads on YouTube that make the money creators receive when they monetize a video. The FTC found that YouTube was allowing Google Brain to deliver "Targeted ads" to children on YouTube videos. The FTC fined YouTube 170 Million dollars for violating the COPPA law.

Okay, now YouTube is afraid. YouTube has no way to make sure that children are not watching videos that have targeted ads, so now YouTube is passing the responsibility of making sure that kids are not being targeted on to the CREATORS. We, the Creators, are now responsible for making sure kids are not being targeted. How YouTube is going to do this is by providing video creators with two options to define each video as "Child-Directed" or Not Child-Directed. This will be the creator's choice. But there is a catch. If you choose "Child-Directed" YouTube will take all interest-based ads off the video. Interest-based ads make the overwhelming majority of the revenue creators get paid. Taking them off will basically be almost the same thing as demonetizing the video.

So, what happens if you choose the option of designating the video as "Not Child-Directed"? At this point, YOU assume the liability if interest-based ads are shown on the video. So if the FTC comes to YouTube to complain about your video, YouTube will just point them to you because you told YouTube that the video was not Chid-Directed. Then the FTC will come after you. YouTube has washed their hands of it by giving you the choice. If the FTC determines that children are watching your videos and YouTube showed them interest-based ads, the FTC will fine you $42,000 dollars for each and every video on your channel that they determine to be Child-Directed. This could amount to MILLIONS of dollars depending on how many videos you have that the FTC decides are "Child-Directed"

It is also very important to understand that the FTC does not care whether you made the video to be targeted to children. That is not what they define as Child-Directed. They define Child-Directed as any video that children might be attracted to watch, whether you made it for children or not.