Massive drop in views on kid channels

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I find it interesting that Ryan Toysreview made a video titled, "Learn Why do we Cry and more Educational Video for Kids!!!". It is one hour full of educational content. They have never done this on their channel, but now that it is necessary for survival they do it and Youtube gives it 11 million views. Their meta tags on the video consist of "learning video for todllers (sic)" (yes the mom can't even spell toddlers in an "educational" video), "for children educational", "learn about", "one hour of learning", "one hour of educational videos", "learning", "learning video for kids", and "educational videos for kids."
I find it quite insulting for channels who have made good quality educational content right from the start and never touched the "kids niche" at all but who don't get anything like 11 millions per video and hardly ever get promoted by Youtube despite YouTube recently saying that education was going to be a priority.

Seeing all these kids channels pivot to "education" but who obviously have no skills or qualifications in teaching but immediately getting millions of views really is ridiculous. Teaching is a profession and requires a lot more skill than just looking up random articles on wikipedia and then putting together a video with a click-bait title and thumbnail.

If I sound bitter it's because I am lol. ^^

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I saw a lot of garbage educational elmo videos on PBS. Look at teletubbies or scary jay the airplane. And it is made by professionals

Attachments

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Does anyone ever wonder if their views are " throttled " ....I mean, a few years ago on a saturday afternoon I would be getting 40,000 views per hour, now I am lucky to get 800 vph...but often it starts shooting up...hits around 750 vph or 800 ...then stops increasing and then drops back...this happens ALL the time. If they left it alone it would keep climbing, but it seems to say..welll, thats all he is getting, send the views somewhere else...they are so friggin bad.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Does anyone ever wonder if their views are " throttled " ....I mean, a few years ago on a saturday afternoon I would be getting 40,000 views per hour, now I am lucky to get 800 vph...but often it starts shooting up...hits around 750 vph or 800 ...then stops increasing and then drops back...this happens ALL the time. If they left it alone it would keep climbing, but it seems to say..welll, thats all he is getting, send the views somewhere else...they are so friggin bad.
I think they throttle. They decide so many views per day and that’s what you get. Then Saturday since overall traffic goes up you’ll get a bit more than average.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I think they throttle. They decide so many views per day and that’s what you get. Then Saturday since overall traffic goes up you’ll get a bit more than average.
I don't there is any throttling going on, but the algorithm almost certainly treats a channel like Ryan Toysreview differently if watch time or impressions click-through rate is down. A big factor is click-through rate for the impressions shown by Youtube and then the watch time for the people that clicked. The problem is you can't control who gets shown the impressions. Youtube can show the impressions to someone that doesn't speak your language or to someone that is not interested in that kind of content. For instance, most parents share an account with their kids. If Youtube decides to show your thumbnail when the adult is using the account and not the kid, they are not going to click. They don't click and you get penalized. There is also no guarantee on where the impression is shown. It may be on the screen somewhere where the person doesn't even see it. Youtube gives us a lot of data and "evidence" of why views may be down, but they don't provide the most important information. I certainly don't think Youtube intentionally takes views away from a certain channel, but I do think their algorithm is junk. I also would like to know how the algorithm manages to promote "quality" and "educational" content.

xDoons

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Kids channels are most likely being under high maintenance after the elsagate thing
YT usually is late to most things,
I just think your videos may not be recommended to people underaged as much as they used to be
But then again idk I cuss all the time in my videos lol
:)

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I can confirm there is a block on every new kid video uploaded. If they are not good or trash they won’t be suggested at all. And it seems that new Kid videos are watched by your subscribers and end screen viewers for at least 2-3 weeks before they get looked at and approved to be in suggested.

Last edited:

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Does anyone suspect anything will actually happen on September 25 th? Isn't that the deadline where creators were supposed to remove distorted kids videos ?? I am confidant nothing will happen to my channel, with 2800 videos all clean evergreen, and kid/family safe. But it of course was included in the mess others created and my views are down 99%. It would be so heartening to see a bump up on the 25th, and maybe a solid rise in views. Making new videos is a waste of time, regardless of content/viewtime or anything else. Until things settle down, my channel is on hold , if things turn around, I will just delete old videos and re-upload them. It is a lot of work to make a video and then make 5 cents on 5 hours labor and creativity. The so-called Algorithm is in fact a program designed to reward some creators and ignore the rest ..regardless of the so called watch time metric. thats a load of crap.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
He talks about kid protection and it is good. But how targeted ads are a threat? Ithink it is an outdated law and it needs to be changed. YOu cannot have targeted ads it is a threat but you can have kids in videos doing unboxing like ryan toys

Reactions: ianmacdon