Massive drop in views on kid channels

Apples008

Reaction score
I think what it means is all content that is not appropriate and targeted at children will be restricted. So it might mean things will go back to normal which is good news.
At the moment most kids content is on hold while they work out how to restrict bad content.

Esra

Reaction score
I think what it means is all content that is not appropriate and targeted at children will be restricted. So it might mean things will go back to normal which is good news.
At the moment most kids content is on hold while they work out how to restrict bad content.
they are cleaning up bad content. Then will everything be alright?

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
One thing I find very interesting is that I have not had a video make the kids app in over three months. We have several videos in the kids app from 2017 and 2018 that get lots of views, but Youtube won't add any new videos from our channel into the kids app. I checked several huge kids channels and they have limited videos available in the kids app. I could not find any new videos from big channels in the kids app. Obviously this is a big clue that something is being worked on with the kids app.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Looking at the past 30 days here are the top kid channels by views (I excluded some channels that had more views, but had their channels removed).
1 Cocomelon - Nursery Rhymes 2,631,237,932
2 Like Nastya Vlog 1,282,468,433

3 Vlad and Nikita 857,750,125

4 ✿ Kids Diana Show 855,400,767

5 Toys and Colors 705,830,973

6 Ryan ToysReview 605,765,849

7 Stacy Toys 530,279,969

8 Johny FamilyShow 425,823,044

9 Family GamesTV 424,815,830
10 Super Simple Songs - Kids Songs 377,036,996

All of these channels with the exception of Cocomelon and Ryan ToysReview are basically the same style all with the same music and sound effects. All aimed at preschool children.

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
One thing I find very interesting is that I have not had a video make the kids app in over three months. We have several videos in the kids app from 2017 and 2018 that get lots of views, but Youtube won't add any new videos from our channel into the kids app. I checked several huge kids channels and they have limited videos available in the kids app. I could not find any new videos from big channels in the kids app. Obviously this is a big clue that something is being worked on with the kids app.
I have over 2500 videos which could be in the kids app, and at one point, I had over 660 according to youtube creator support, but in January 2018 , 90% were removed, and as of July this year I have zero kids videos in the kids app, although they meet the suitability qualifications 100% . I have no clue what they are doing or if they know what they a doing , or going to do. At this point, I don;t know if they care about us, it are they too focused on the Will Smith channels . Someday they will hopefully default or revamp the algorithm and let it go back to what it was before they got greedy, and choosing winners and losers... this is sad. My top video today is getting 61VPH...views per hour, thats the top one of 2852 videos I remember in 2014 on the weekend, I was getting 40,000 views per hour, and today my total vph is 700 as we speak. The successive algo changes drew my viewers to other videos, which took me years to build up an audience, and suddenly youtube decides to send them to other channels. Thanks. ( end of rant )

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I think YouTube is getting stricter with the usage of copyrighted characters. So most of the traffic goes to the right holders

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Posts such as "Channel X has had an increase in views" and "Channel Y has had a decrease in views" are pretty pointless. Are we really going to make a post every time a channel's views go up / go down? That is how Youtube works. That is how YouTube has always worked and YES view counts change very quickly even when there is no bug or no algorithm change. When a channel blows up, it will double its views several times within a few days / weeks and other channels will have a drop in views. That is normal behaviour for YouTube.

As I mentioned very early in this thread, view counts are zero sum. If channel A is getting 1000 more views per day, then channels B-Z will be getting 1000 fewer views per day. YouTube doesn't care who is getting / not getting the views because the total is the same.

Honestly, trying to reverse engineer the algorithm will drive you crazy. A sudden increase / decrease in views could be due to any of the following:

- Something you did yesterday.
-Something you did last week.
-Something you did last month.
-Something you did 6 months ago.
- Something one of your competitors did yesterday.
-Something one of your competitors did last week.
-Something one of your competitors did last month.
-Something one of your competitors did 6 months ago.
- Something YouTube changed did yesterday.
-Something YouTube changed last week.
-Something YouTube changed last month.
-Something YouTube changed 6 months ago.
etc etc ad infinitum..........

or it could be a simple reshuffle of the suggested videos based on no new changes. The existing (unchanged) algorithm is simply being applied to new data (new videos) - Videos that are performing better (in terms of CTR and view time) will replace older videos with worse CTR and view time.

Reactions: markkaz