Massive drop in views on kid channels

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
I believe there is an oversaturation of content but audience is finite. If you upload daily or monthly it doesn't matter plus uploading too frequently exhausts the audience. Gaming channels are in crisis now too therefor gamers cannot just play games and make money. A lot of them create stories or do something unusual, etc The future for content is a good solid story.
Yes, that has always been true, but that doesn't explain how one channel gets millions of views and another almost identical channel gets almost zero. For instance, look at cocomelon, average 40,000 subs a day...ryantoysreview average 20K subs a day..just 2 examples, yet thousands of other channels with similar content get almost no views. The algo is a kingmaker and often I think that king is a human. Every time I try and make a video outside of my niche, I get almost zero views ...How does it know ...how does it know it is me ? Even if I almost copy the tags and title of a similar popular video ( as an experiment ) it gets no views. Sometimes I think channels are shadowbanned . A few years ago I made a video of the most popular kids toy at christmas, and it got 300 views, while other channels doing the exact same thing got millions of views...keep i mind I have 245,000 subs ! BUT thanks to the bell system, only 3000 clicked the bell so subs are basically useless now. Anyway...just venting.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Probably the most frustrating part of the algorithm is you can have a video made by a content creator from a country that no advertiser wants to advertise in and have the video become popular by viewers from countries that no one wants to advertise in. Then all of a sudden the algorithm starts suggesting this video to children in the United States (where the ad money is) who have no choice but to click because that is all they are given. In a lot of these videos, the actors don't even speak English and they just have a bunch of random cartoon sounds and English voice overs repeating over and over again. It is clearly designed to hypnotize a kid with sounds almost like a slot machine. Like Nastya Vlog from Russia is an example of this and they have over 970 million views in the last 30 days.

I don't mean to make all foreign content creators out to be bad and I am sure some of them have good intentions.

Last edited:

Great djs

Reaction score
Yes, that has always been true, but that doesn't explain how one channel gets millions of views and another almost identical channel gets almost zero. For instance, look at cocomelon, average 40,000 subs a day...ryantoysreview average 20K subs a day..just 2 examples, yet thousands of other channels with similar content get almost no views. The algo is a kingmaker and often I think that king is a human. Every time I try and make a video outside of my niche, I get almost zero views ...How does it know ...how does it know it is me ? Even if I almost copy the tags and title of a similar popular video ( as an experiment ) it gets no views. Sometimes I think channels are shadowbanned . A few years ago I made a video of the most popular kids toy at christmas, and it got 300 views, while other channels doing the exact same thing got millions of views...keep i mind I have 245,000 subs ! BUT thanks to the bell system, only 3000 clicked the bell so subs are basically useless now. Anyway...just venting.
I totally agree with you!
I have been put kids friendly drawing videos everyday since this Jan, and I believe that the video quality is really good compare with the other automatically programmed drawing channels!
But YT just gives all suggested impressions to one drawing channel. That channel got 28M in last two days, and our channel only got 60 views!
This is insane! I dont think that their is much difference in qualities between two channels. I bet there is a manuel system in YT Ai.

Last edited:

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
I totally agree with you!
I have been put a kids friendly drawing everyday since this Jan, and I believe that the video quality is really good compare with the other automatically programmed drawing channels!
But YT just gives all the suggested impressions to one drawing channel. That channel got 28M in last two days, and our channel only got 60 views!
This is insane! I dont think that their is much difference in qualities between two channels. I bet there is a manuel system in YT Ai.
exactly my point, all videos are supposed to be weighted equally, just some seem more equal than others. It wasn't like this in the beginning, which led to the initial success of youtube. 264,000,000 views in one day to cocomelon on Aug 9th...it really is " unbelieveable "

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I think they test us for ORIGINALITY. Basically, if you invented sponge bob and then they removed you from suggested you will still have some followers and traffic. People would type SPONGE BOB to watch your stuff. So the algorithm knows it is your creation and people watch it. And depending how much they search for you that's how much traffic you will get as recommended.

But if your channel is Disney toys unboxing and they removed you from suggested you are done. There is nothing left of you, They search for Disney not for you, You didn’t create Disney.

But if you created a cool series using Disney characters called ….. then people will remember you and search for ….. even though it’s still debatable since those are Disney characters and they can pull a plug any time.

PS it still doesn't explain how some channels get millions of views. It's crazy to be honest.

PS yttalk, please fix spell check in your chat. IT doesn’t work

I also noticed all suggested videos cannot have a hockey stick in red anymore. . Must be smooth drop off curve

Attachments

Last edited:

Esra

Reaction score
I hope YouTube now explains what you want to do. it is our right to hear an explanation. YouTube needs to tell you if this algorithm changes won't work out

Reactions: basilico

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I hope YouTube now explains what you want to do. it is our right to hear an explanation. YouTube needs to tell you if this algorithm changes won't work out
have you seen this video
it's about youtube union to create more transparency. Definitely watch it.

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Regardless of everything that is happening now I find it all very unfair to the legitimate creators who make great family friendly videos. To see the algo send millions of views to 1 channel while many more get almost none is terrible . Worst of all they created this mess by allowing anyone anywhere to earn money unvetted on the promise the be good....lol. .. in the meantime many of us who left great real jobs to do this full time are screwed. Way to go YouTube algo creators .