Massive drop in views on kid channels

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
FTC sucks. They wanna make some money like eu with all their stupid laws and fines. What data google can collect. Nothing. A couple of cartoons watched.

Apples008

Reaction score
This is quite a good theory but it would mean all Kids channels will be hit but only some are.
Or they would ban all kids channels. My top video with over 100million views was on Kids Youtube but it has been dropped.
Wish we could get a straight answer. I have contacted support 2x and youtubeteam twitter but no proper explanation.

Esra

Reaction score
Di
This is quite a good theory but it would mean all Kids channels will be hit but only some are.
Or they would ban all kids channels. My top video with over 100million views was on Kids Youtube but it has been dropped.
Wish we could get a straight answer. I have contacted support 2x and youtubeteam twitter but no proper explanation.
Did you send mail to Support Team?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I agree with @Redterrors - It's no coincidence that this alleged drop in traffic to kids channels happened at the same time as the FTC investigation. The government is coming down hard on all social media sites at the moment with regards to how they manage kids content.

According to the Washington Post, Youtube have settled - https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/07/19/ftc-approves-settlement-with-google-over-youtube-kids-privacy-violations/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d31a6226247f

An interesting quote from that article:

"During the course of the FTC’s investigation, Google has explored ways to change how YouTube handles children’s videos, a person familiar with the company’s plans previously told The Washington Post. That has included changes to the algorithms that determine which videos YouTube queues up next. "

_____

Honestly - The writing has been on the wall for at least a year, ever since all those other kids channel scandals (channels gaming the algorithm, weird and inappropriate "kids content" that is not approproate for kids at all, pedophiles in the comments section, metadata spam and duplicate content.) For all those reasons, the kids niche has been on the radar for some time. It is only a matter of time before Youtube pulls the plug on it completely. I think they'll probably put all kids content behind a paywall and will only accept a small number of pre-approved channels because that would be simpler for Youtube to manually moderate them. What they'd lose in ad revenue, they'd make up in paid subs and they'd avoid all the headaches and lawsuits.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
They cannot review all channels by hand. So they nuked lots of them by tags, by visuals (if creator uses game engine AI can tell), reduced monetized playback percentage to discourage people making more, spam tags.

Apples008

Reaction score
They cannot review all channels by hand. So they nuked lots of them by tags, by visuals (if creator uses game engine AI can tell), reduced monetized playback percentage to discourage people making more, spam tags.
Have you tried to change the tags? Or make some videos private?

lejack

Reaction score
I still have the problem, I lost 50% of the views,
but look at this channel,

it had the same problem, but now they have doubled their views, what did they do?

JackJack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I semi-agree with what Crown and Redterrors are saying, but I wonder how Youtube (or anyone) can accomplish this - it seems that there are so many cases where it's difficult to determine who the content is for age-wise (and of course, many obvious cases!) I also have the feeling that the side-effect of a removal of certain keyword videos will be driving some kids to watch less appropriate content on the main site. I personally like the idea of the Kids App and its competitors - I do, however, wish there was a better way to differentiate what age groups content is directed to. All kids content can't be aimed at 2 year olds.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The Justice Department is still reviewing the settlement. Kids content will most likely no longer be suggested unless a logged-in youtube account is present. Targeted ads will not play on kids content and the algorithm will push kids content to youtube kids app by making the kids experience most ideal on that platform. Youtube will most likely not offer an alternative solution for revenue for quite some time. This will allow them to clean up the space.