Massive drop in views on kid channels

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The article doesn't say all ads on kids content will be ended. It says "targeted" ads will (might) be ended.

By "targeted", they mean the personalised targeted ads based on a user's browsing history. They are the ads that follow you around the internet regardless of the content of the site you're currently on. Example, if you have recently been searching for "printer cartridges" on google and browsing Amazon for them, and then a few days later, you're on a gardening website, the ads on that gardening website will be for "printer cartridges". The website is able to do that due to Google's cookies and retargeting features. That's what the FTC doesn't like, especially when it comes to kids due to the privacy concerns etc.

That doesn't mean though that "normal" ads will be banned on kids content. At least, that is my understanding of the above article.

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
The article doesn't say all ads on kids content will be ended. It says "targeted" ads will (might) be ended.

By "targeted", they mean the personalised targeted ads based on a user's browsing history. They are the ads that follow you around the internet regardless of the content of the site you're currently on. Example, if you have recently been searching for "printer cartridges" on google and browsing Amazon for them, and then a few days later, you're on a gardening website, the ads on that gardening website will be for "printer cartridges". The website is able to do that due to Google's cookies and retargeting features. That's what the FTC doesn't like, especially when it comes to kids due to the privacy concerns etc.

That doesn't mean though that "normal" ads will be banned on kids content. At least, that is my understanding of the above article.
Thanks for the clarification, makes perfect sense.

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Looks like they changed something again....my views have dropped to where they were last week. Hard to believe they can't figure this out with an algo, its too complex so we all get lumped in and screwed together, while other channels we are familiar with thrive and bloom and others just like them get hammered. I wish there was a way to contact them and say " HEY LOOK AT MY CHANNEL " ...its all family friendly. Anyway, back to the roller coaster of life we call youtube.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Looks like they changed something again....my views have dropped to where they were last week. Hard to believe they can't figure this out with an algo, its too complex so we all get lumped in and screwed together, while other channels we are familiar with thrive and bloom and others just like them get hammered. I wish there was a way to contact them and say " HEY LOOK AT MY CHANNEL " ...its all family friendly. Anyway, back to the roller coaster of life we call youtube.
same here at 2 am. One video did good then collapse. It almost feels like the shuffle them. Reccomend one for a while, then they quit and then another one.

Attachments

Last edited:

digitalist

Reaction score
It's so unclear what will happen, we're so confused.

I have 3 similar questions for you. I'm begging you; Somebody give me hope. :help:

Q1: Do you think that when this uncertainty will become clear, can we at least return to our June numbers?

Q2: Will it be possible for the channels that have fully family-friendly and high quality videos?

The most important question is that;

Q3: Could it be worse than the last month?

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score

I have 3 similar questions for you. I'm begging you; Somebody give me hope. :help:

Q1: Do you think that when this uncertainty will become clear, can we at least return to our June numbers?

Q2: Will it be possible for the channels that have fully family-friendly and high quality videos?

it's so hard to tell. The algorithm acts like a drunk man - you never know what to expect. I still think they are trying to teach AI to distinguish what content is trash and what content is well made so watch time is not as important since kids can be glued to trash content or plain unboxing.
Also I noticed they shuffle content a lot. Videos from years ago get more views than the newest ones then a few days later views can drop and another video will get suggested more.
I guess they are trying to get rid of videos like this

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score

Excellent questions... and all of us here are looking for the same answers. I'm glad I found this message board , no one on reddit seeks very concerned . unless I didn't find the correct topic. All I can say out of honesty is that as my numbers began dropping since June 2014 , I consistently said ": it can't go any lower " and it always did. From a peak of 500 a day..... to 5 dollars a day... a 99% drop in revenue. This despite daily uploads of pure everegreen clean family friendly videos,..following every page in the creator handbook to the best of my ability.....so there you go.......go figure.

digitalist

Reaction score
I guess they are trying to get rid of videos like this
Is this a kid's video or a horror movie? :confusedphones::wtf:

If youtube can get rid of videos like this after this hellish period, i can wait. But i need some hope, for ex an official announcement

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I believe there is an oversaturation of content but audience is finite. If you upload daily or monthly it doesn't matter plus uploading too frequently exhausts the audience. Gaming channels are in crisis now too therefor gamers cannot just play games and make money. A lot of them create stories or do something unusual, etc The future for content is a good solid story.

Reactions: markkaz