Massive drop in views on kid channels

digitalist

Reaction score
In the last few days, there was a slight rise.

But, 5 hours ago, the number of my views has dropped by 50%.

Has anyone notice any changes?

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
In the last few days, there was a slight rise.

But, 5 hours ago, the number of my views has dropped by 50%.

Has anyone notice any changes?
My views have increased 50% on average since Friday, based on daily on average over the past month. Things normally drop off at night, so maybe things will be up for you in the morning. It is 6:30 am here and my views are double where they were last Monday at 6:30 am.. There are a lot of different videos in my top 25 , but that is only because my top 25 doesn't have any high volume videos , like some with 4 views per hour or 6 o 8 vph, not a lot of views. cocomelon is back to where they were before the change, and some channels dropped a lot, but others have returned to pre-change normal .Please post your observations. thanks.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The problem with our channel is that new uploads have no chance to be successful. For August, we have had 5.8 million views on the Kids App and only 650,000 through main Youtube. The majority of the views on main Youtube come from two videos that appeals to kids, teens, and adults. When we post a new upload, the majority of the content only appeals to kids and since the new upload can only be suggested on regular Youtube, it gets buried because no one clicks the thumbnail.. The 5.8 million viewers on the kids app will never see a new upload because new videos don't go straight into the kids app. It has to do well on main Youtube and be identified by some secret algorithm before it goes to the kids app. This is a huge flaw in the system. Since July, we have gone from 30% of views through kids app to almost 90% views on kids app. I am pretty sure Google has intentionally done this. This also means very little revenue, but we are actually fine with that part.

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
The problem with our channel is that new uploads have no chance to be successful. For August, we have had 5.8 million views on the Kids App and only 650,000 through main Youtube. The majority of the views on main Youtube come from two videos that appeals to kids, teens, and adults. When we post a new upload, the majority of the content only appeals to kids and since the new upload can only be suggested on regular Youtube, it gets buried because no one clicks the thumbnail.. The 5.8 million viewers on the kids app will never see a new upload because new videos don't go straight into the kids app. It has to do well on main Youtube and be identified by some secret algorithm before it goes to the kids app. This is a huge flaw in the system. Since July, we have gone from 30% of views through kids app to almost 90% views on kids app. I am pretty sure Google has intentionally done this. This also means very little revenue, but we are actually fine with that part.
I lost 90% of ,my views on the kids app back around January 2018 , dropped like a rock. they used to be there , I was told by partner support 660 of my videos were on the kids app platform. As of July 7th, 100% of my views stopped coming from the kids app. All ,y views now come from the regular youtube pages, with only 40% coming from suggested . It used to be around 80% . My views are up 50% as I said yesterday compared to daily totals the last 30 days. Some channels still gettign hit, others taking off ..look :

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I think
I lost 90% of ,my views on the kids app back around January 2018 , dropped like a rock. they used to be there , I was told by partner support 660 of my videos were on the kids app platform. As of July 7th, 100% of my views stopped coming from the kids app. All ,y views now come from the regular youtube pages, with only 40% coming from suggested . It used to be around 80% . My views are up 50% as I said yesterday compared to daily totals the last 30 days. Some channels still gettign hit, others taking off ..look :
The algorithm acts so randomly it is hard to rely on watch time alone anymore. Any video can go down or up just because it decides this way. I really think they are training AI to learn what is good and what is not good as far as video quality. AI will become our top viewer and it will decide if our videos suck or not ;) I think this collpase and spikes on each channel happen because of filter placed on all kid channels like that article I posted here long time ago saying about 4 month filter. So the machine or human must review a channel and then decide to take a filter off or not.
I think channels with minors in videos will have the hardest times. Also plain unboxing channels suffered. Not sure if there is lack of educational value for youtube or oversaturation of the same type of videos https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/disneycollectorbr

YouTube also has a safe mode. once it is applied on a video or a channel it won't show up in search much it's used for borderline videos.

lejack

Reaction score
YouTube Plans to End Targeted Ads on Videos Aimed at Kids

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
YouTube Plans to End Targeted Ads on Videos Aimed at Kids

TIMBER.......is this the end ? so ...without " targeted ads, do they just show any ads ? For example , I make a lot of Pixar cars videos, and used to get disney ads for the Cars movies, now I guess they will just send random ads for real cars or shoes or socks or lawnmowers etc...I have no idea what it means...any thoughts ?

Apples008

Reaction score
Wow this is big news. This will kill off all the Kids channels including Cocomelon which is making millions. Makes sense why the algorithm has changed.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Wow this is big news. This will kill off all the Kids channels including Cocomelon which is making millions. Makes sense why the algorithm has changed.
This doesn't really change anything. It will be difficult to enforce because Youtube has no way to identify every video aimed at kids. In fact, its algorithm suggests adult content to kid viewers all the time. Just the other day my daughter came across a Disney Princess rap video where Elsa uttered the f word. It doesn't change contextual ads either.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ads run on kids programming on TV, radio, etc.
I am not concerned yet because the above only stated 'targeted' ads.

Reactions: Crown