Massive drop in views on kid channels

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
This is an interesting occurrence, but it is too small of a sample to make any conclusions about an algorithm change. The chances of kid channels even remotely returning to normal statistics is simply not possible. At least in the sense that ads are regularly displayed on them. We know that the FTC and the DOJ are going to heavily sanction Google and a consent decree will be entered to enforce the rules moving forward. We just don't know the specifics. We know Google will want to keep kid viewers, but at what cost is the question. I feel very comfortable in saying that Google will move forward with selecting content creators for the kid space. This goes against Youtube's open policy of promoting and allowing all creators; however they simply have no legitimate alternative. Who gets cut and can they appeal is a big question mark.
Before I applied to enter the partner program I originally was asked by them if they could place ads next to my videos. Human vetting of my channel was how it was done. It should never have changed to an automatic membership . This alone ruined everything good about the partner program. Scammers and click bait became the norm. And we all got lumped into the gumbo. I hope they manually review from now on.

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
It does look like something changed today for some, many of the channels I monitor have gone up and are in the green, while others are even worse....not sure if they are reviewing them manually or not but definitely something is up . At least it is good to see something happening. even cocomelon is down by about 60% or more...

Reactions: Apples008

Apples008

Reaction score
Something is happening for sure at exactly 12am GMT my Channel blew up. So something was adjusted in the algorithm.

Reactions: ianmacdon

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
now is spike by 1000s more views a day or hundred of thousands views per day?

HurryUp

Reaction score
my channel, like most of the ones I am watching have no variations, the only are these 2 that from a couple of days have gone to 10x:

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
my channel, like most of the ones I am watching have no variations, the only are these 2 that from a couple of days have gone to 10x:

Thats good to see, perhaps they are manually reviewing them again. I see cocomelom took a big hit , well, its still X2 from where it was but down considerably. There is still hope ! Thanks

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
The last big drop for me occurred around July 7th...and I just want to report that my views yesterday ( friday ) were up 30% from the last 3 Fridays, but my average Friday views before the drop was around 40K a day , so there is a way to go yet . But there were other big drops before that date. I peaked at 400K views in 1 day back in 2014...that was around the time they opened the flood gates and my channel has been dropping ever since. It would be nice to get a breakout !

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
The last big drop for me occurred around July 7th...and I just want to report that my views yesterday ( friday ) were up 30% from the last 3 Fridays, but my average Friday views before the drop was around 40K a day , so there is a way to go yet . But there were other big drops before that date. I peaked at 400K views in 1 day back in 2014...that was around the time they opened the flood gates and my channel has been dropping ever since. It would be nice to get a breakout !
not all channels spiked. I wonder if it is a manual review or the algorithm found something it likes in some videos

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
not all channels spiked. I wonder if it is a manual review or the algorithm found something it likes in some videos
Yeah, I see some channels took off and some dropped ...as far as my channel goes I experienced a 20% increase in views Saturday week over week, with an average of the past 4 weeks. It wasn't significant , and not the breakout I was hoping for, maybe the are doing them manually, or as someone suggested a tweak to the algo helped some and not others....has anyone here noticed any changes to their channel overnight >

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
maybe they realized a mistake giving all the traffic to just a handful of channels and therefore reducing the competition to create new good content . Cocomelon was eating up lots of traffic for sure