Massive drop in views on kid channels

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
I guess if tv could trace your habits they would’ve make them personalized.
They can and do, but not for under thirteeners. It is done through big data companies (there are only a few but everyone works with them) like Acxiom (https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/technology/acxiom-the-quiet-giant-of-consumer-database-marketing.html). Over 6K datapoints on you, including your PPV and TV Guide watch history, insurance information, everything. Stations like Nick and Disney do not employ behavioral advertising on TV through companies like these however because of the laws.

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
They do also say that they will only track just enough data needed to be operational to run the site. Not sure what that means exactly. I dont know about your channel but most of my new videos have stopped being suggested for a while. Only if i upload a banger with high ctr then it might get suggested. Most my new videos just die and are not suggested. They changed the suggested algorithm and its harder now. Im just getting suggested mostly on some old evergreen videos which go up and down at the algorithms whim.
Youtube has absolutely annihilated some of us when it comes to new videos with the algorithm. I used to think about deleting a video that received less than 50,000 views in 48 hours and now I have some that barely hit 1,000. We still have older videos doing well, but we know those days are numbered.

Last edited:

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Youtube has absolutely annihilated some of us when it comes to new videos with the algorithm. I used to think about deleting a video that received less than 50,000 views in 48 hours and now I have some that barely hit 1,000. We still have older videos doing well, but we know those days are numbered. I have said it a million times, Youtube has no loyalty to the creators that helped put kids on the platform. Once this finally crashes to the bottom, I will be advocating as hard as I can to further expose the leadership at Youtube for their utter incompetence. I have no problem with losing the ad revenue, but taking the views is just such a nefarious action and angers me to the core. I know that the algorithm is intentionally altering CTR data for many of us just so Youtube can continue to profit off kids by exposing them to more mature content. Unfortunately, until we can further establish empirical date to support this position on a wide-scale there is not much that can be done. If it can be proven, it will be time for criminal indictments and those detention hearings will be an absolute thing of beauty. And yes as someone that has been on Youtube before Google owned it, I no longer support it and I would advocate any effort that is ethical and legal to further its demise and punish those that have unjustly inflicted harm to loyal creators.
they are doing something but i think there not altering anyone's ctr, They have millions of channels and I doubt they personally hating you. I think they now juggle videos and have maybe higher requirements towards CTR and watch time

I do agree they are more bias towards large channels

Last edited:

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Right-o. As I've been consistently reiterating, YT is the problem. Not sure how he's translating me saying that YT isn't going to gate the homepage into some kind of conspiracy.
I give up. Keep on wishing things are not going to change and pretending that the FTC is not going to fine you $42K per video for trying to keep targeted ads for children.

Fact 1. YouTube was fined 170 million and told to stop showing targeted ads.
Fact 2. The FTC has said that it going to aggressively pursue YT creators that try to game this system to keep making money off of targeted ads to children.
Fact 3. The FTC vowed to carefully scrutinize YT to make sure they are not trying to find a workaround the COPPA Ruling.
Fact 4. YT is pretty much killing off their kids channels by not only taking off targeted ads, but also eliminating most of the features which could be used to promote the channels.

Those are the facts. Everything you have said is "Speculation".

clerick

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
The one upside of this i'd like to see is adult content become more monetizable. If the kid content drops out money wise, wouldn't it make sense for youtube to encourage more adult content and loosen some of the strangeholds that demonetize you right now?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
The one upside of this i'd like to see is adult content become more monetizable. If the kid content drops out money wise, wouldn't it make sense for youtube to encourage more adult content and loosen some of the strangeholds that demonetize you right now?
Like I said before. Money for Kids content will come back. Lots of contracts will have to be renegotiated from a Targeted ad contract to a Contextual ad contract. This I am 100% certain of, it will happen, and it will happen quickly. The kid's ad space is too valuable to lose.

The real danger here is that as long as the kid's content is on the same platform as regular and adult content, there will always be a danger that the FTC will fine you for crossover content. Remember, one single video will cost you 42,000 dollars. So, anyone trying to play the game of riding on the edge to catch that crossover viewership will always have the FTC gun pointed right at their heads.

Here is the real problem. Kids content like Cocomelon is easy to identify, but what about Family Friendly content? That is where the real danger is at. I do not make kids content, but I also do not ever cuss. Never have in my whole life. I believe that cussing is the language of ignorance, and only those who lack the education to express themselves with real words use it. So, while my content is absolutely not designed for kids, kids can watch it. So, I am faced with the choice of becoming an ignorant vulgar uneducated person in my videos, or face possible huge life-ending fines. Now, if all true kid's content were separated onto a kid's specific platform, family-friendly content would not be in danger anymore and those creators could rest easy.

I know many here will pipe in with their standard argument that kids will still watch regular youtube. Please stop. We all know that. We are not as dumb as you think we are. What you fail to comprehend is that it does not matter if kids watch regularly YT. YouTube was not fined for what it did, YT was fined for what the FTC could PROVE they did. Because the FTC could show that YT used an observable pattern of behavior of certain accounts that predominately watched kid's content as a means to target them for ads, they could demonstrate that YT intentionally and knowingly violated COPPA. If there were no kid's content mixed in with the regular content, there would be absolutely no kid's content behavior to track, because ALL behavior would be for non-kids content related content. For Pete's sake, please try to comprehend this. It is not about what kids are doing. It is about what is PROVABLE in a court of law. It is impossible to say YT tracked kid's behavior on YT main if there is no kid's behavior to track, because there is no kid's content. It is really simple to understand.

You see guys, I am on your side. As long as you fight to keep kid's content mixed in with regular content, we will all always be facing an FTC firing squad. We will never be safe. All new things take time to take off of course, but YT itself was new once too. Today is a new COPPA world and it is an extremely dangerous one. I hate the FTC as much as you, but there is nothing we can do to make things go back to the way they were. All we can do is try to come up with solutions that make it safe again for creators to do their work without the threat of having our lives utterly destroyed. The ways things are right now DOES NOT DO THAT! YouTube has hung us all out to dry and put us all at risk of being fined out of existence because they want to still try to skirt the COPPA line. They know what the solution is, but they would rather we face the risk of huge fines than to take the clear and simple action to make it safe for us again.

I for one want to look for ways to solve this so we can all feel safe again. I hope there are others that want that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noman24

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
they are doing something but i think there not altering anyone's ctr, They have millions of channels and I doubt they personally hating you. I think they now juggle videos and have maybe higher requirements towards CTR and watch time

I do agree they are more bias towards large channels
To be clear, I was not suggesting that anyone at Youtube has altered CTR for specific channels. They did this on a massive scale and it started in July. Even channels that were getting 5 million plus on every video they uploaded is nowhere near that now.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
To be clear, I was not suggesting that anyone at Youtube has altered CTR for specific channels. They did this on a massive scale and it started in July. Even channels that were getting 5 million plus on every video they uploaded is nowhere near that now.
So I I wonder where all the traffic went to ? because even big channels' new videos are not getting that many views. And I doubt kids just stopped watching