• Playback in the Miniplayer
  • Super Chat or Super Stickers
  • Save to playlist
  • Stories
  • The Community Tab in the Channel page
  • Notification bell
  • Channel Memberships
  • Merch Shelf
Apply your skills toward a different niche. They can't take those away from you!
so what about millions of playlists with kid content parents created for kids?

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
There are posters on here claiming that the demographics in their studio analytics show proof of a plus 13 audience. It is just kids watching on a device that was handed to them by an adult or teenager. There are posters that have built large audiences of kids and now are transitioning video content that can "avoid" being designated as for kids. There has been post after post of people that have an absolute erroneous understanding of how the law impacts content creators. They have flaunted the idea that the FTC can't possibly take action against everyone when they have not even bothered to read the stipulated court order and even remotely have an understanding of the power involved in a permanent injunction issued by a federal judge. I have seen scandal after scandal when it comes to kid content on Youtube. There are some really good kid content creators out there that I have a lot of respect for and I know that they will survive this issue. I have personally experienced earning a large amount of ad revenue on kids content. I am also a supporter of COPPA and the FTC's actions. Sure everyone says nobody wants to harm kids. At least until you actually ask yourself the question and legitimately answer it. If you actually care, there is legitimate research out there to illustrate the problem. Sure you can dismiss it all and call everyone that wants to challenge your revenue as crazy.

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
There are posters on here claiming that the demographics in their studio analytics show proof of a plus 13 audience. It is just kids watching on a device that was handed to them by an adult or teenager. There are posters that have built large audiences of kids and now are transitioning video content that can "avoid" being designated as for kids. There has been post after post of people that have an absolute erroneous understanding of how the law impacts content creators. They have flaunted the idea that the FTC can't possibly take action against everyone when they have not even bothered to read the stipulated court order and even remotely have an understanding of the power involved in a permanent injunction issued by a federal judge. I have seen scandal after scandal when it comes to kid content on Youtube. There are some really good kid content creators out there that I have a lot of respect for and I know that they will survive this issue. I have personally experienced earning a large amount of ad revenue on kids content. I am also a supporter of COPPA and the FTC's actions. Sure everyone says nobody wants to harm kids. At least until you actually ask yourself the question and legitimately answer it. If you actually care, there is legitimate research out there to illustrate the problem. Sure you can dismiss it all and call everyone that wants to challenge your revenue as crazy.
I do think that "group think" happens quite a bit in this niche and we've allowed principles to normalize that, even rewinding 5 years back, would not be received with open arms.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
why do governments start fake wars like WMD excuses? Why is the debt 22 tril and some private company prints money for them? Why do they do a lot of secret experiments on people I think they don't like us. We need to remove a human factor from them (if there is any left) and create a blockchain goverment that will never have a desire for wars or bribes

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
ftc comment section is stuck at 1881 Not sure if they are taking anymore

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
why do governments start fake wars like WMD excuses? Why is the debt 22 tril and some private company prints money for them? Why do they do a lot of secret experiments on people I think they don't like us. We need to remove a human factor from them (if there is any left) and create a blockchain goverment that will never have a desire for wars or bribes
Well we finally have common ground. As someone that started buying bitcoin in 2015, I believe in blockchain technology. Very few people appreciate the remarkable beauty found within our constitutional republic with separation of powers. Although I'm a little partial to the judiciary, despite the people's thirst for scandal and labels, the US system works. A simple majority cannot override your rights enumerated by the Constitution even when it may serve a greater good. Our system allows the poorest of the poor to seek legal redress and achieve equality through due process of law.

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The FTC changes only protect kids from advertisements (kind of) or having their data tracked. It does not address or protect kids from the bad content like elsagate stuff. What do you think about sponsored content which are basically advertisements too? FTC says kids are harmed because they’re too young to understand what a sponsored ad or even what an advertisement is.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
The FTC changes only protect kids from advertisements (kind of) or having their data tracked. It does not address or protect kids from the bad content like elsagate stuff. What do you think about sponsored content which are basically advertisements too? FTC says kids are harmed because they’re too young to understand what a sponsored ad or even what an advertisement is.
I hope FTC kids will start watching 13+ content until their daddies realized what they've done

SoSuperLoud

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
OMG, just got some notifications of changes. Not looking good for kid channels from what I am reading. Gonna take a big hit in revenue. Especially if not using sponsors or affiliate marketing.
Set your channel or video’s audience

I was just beginning to get my kids channel (oops, can't call it that now) up and running, and now wondering if it will be more of a struggle?
My kids are in the videos and have fun making them.

Would I have to select kids as my audience if??:
My videos have kids in them, but they are really geared to showing adults cool ideas to have fun with their kids.
Activities, games, other stuff. Not really geared toward kids. It is not teaching kids anything, its not a learning channel.
Kids may end up watching it because there are kids in the video doing fun stuff, but I don't feel as though the channel is specific to kids.

Last edited:

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I have respect for you and your channel. I think you have done things the right way. Although COPPA has nothing to do with Elsgate, bad baby, and et al, it certainly has played a major role in getting rid of some of the harmful trends due to the attention it has shined on Youtube. There is nothing wrong with kids being exposed to advertisements and it is fine to make money off kid videos. Just make sure you provide proper disclosures. The ads need to be like TV where it is content based. Youtube can easily push hard to put content based ads on kid channels and everything would be fine. The problem is Youtube won't invest the time and money to getting this done. In reality, a lot of the illegal personalized ads were a mix of tracking data from the minors and adults sharing devices which resulted in children being shown personalized advertisement that was a waste of money (example car ads, insurance ads, and non-kid movie ads). Then the adult might have been shown a child's ad due to the sharing of the device. So it actually makes sense even in a practical sense for all ads on child videos to be content based and not personalized.

I want to be very clear, content creators are NOT to blame for COPPA violations. Youtube is solely responsible for their flagrant disregard to federal law. Youtube's unlawfulness is related to their collection of data and falsehoods about claiming Youtube main didn't cater to under 13. There were many solutions available where Youtube could let kid content creators continue to thrive. Youtube made a selfish decision and threw kid content creators under the bus.