Male beauty vlogger builds £6 million fortune

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Full article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6639377/YouTube-19-year-old-male-beauty-blogger-James-Charles-got-famous.html

Excerpt from article:

• James Charles rose to internet fame when his senior prom pictures went viral
  • He started his own YouTube channel and became first male face of CoverGirl
  • Teenager, from New York, has since worked with Katy Perry and Kylie Jenner
  • 19-year-old is legally blind but uses coloured contact lenses as part of his look
Five years ago, James Charles was a high school student dreaming of becoming a global sensation - but he never thought he'd actually get there.

He humbly describes himself as just a '19-year-old kid with some blending brushes'.

But the teenager from Bethlehem, New York State, USA, is now worth £6million and has millions of people following his beauty channel all over the world.

This weekend the vlogger made headlines in the UK when his 30-second appearance to open a cosmetic franchise 'broke Birmingham' with 8,000 fans turning up to see him at the city's Bullring centre.

It all started in 2015 when Charles, then known to his classmates as James Charles Dickinson, began uploading make-up tutorials to YouTube from a studio his contractor father built for him in the family's basement.

His devoted fanbase grew steadily until a year later in October 2016 when he made history as the first ever male face of US cosmetics brand CoverGirl.

Company bosses had spotted one of his viral posts the month before and decided to sign him up.

Charles had re-taken his senior year prom pictures to capture the full extent of his personality - and his beauty skills.

He wrote on Twitter: 'I brought my ring light with me so my highlight would be poppin. I love being extra.'

After that his following exploded and he became friends with Kim Kardashian and her sister Kylie Jennner - now boasting 13.6million followers on Instagram, 13.7million on YouTube and nearly three million on Twitter.

For the rest of his story - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6639377/YouTube-19-year-old-male-beauty-blogger-James-Charles-got-famous.html

His channel (13 million subs! ) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCucot-Zp428OwkyRm2I7v2Q

Pretty cool story that shows what is possible with hard work and creativity!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Wait, whut, he is blind? How does he even do his make up then?! I have full sight and I suck at doing make up xD
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. "Legally blind" can mean he doesn't see very well but not totally blind.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Still, that's hella impressive! I don't watch his content, as I am not into beauty, but I have seen him floating through Youtube and Social Media. Nothing but respect for someone who is not afraid to be himself, own it and pursue his interests, regardless of physical or social limitations :)

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i meet the criteria for legal blindness (my vision can't be corrected beyond 20/200 even with contacts or glasses), but i can still do my makeup up close! not to say my makeup is as good as james charles by any means. but definitely possible. :)

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
This kind of story is really exciting, the potential for success on YouTube just continues to amaze me. I read recently that Huda Kattan of the "Huda Beauty" channel is estimated to have a net worth of around $500,000,000. The source of that was Forbes....so pretty reliable.

I'll be in London on Friday speaking about YouTube and the SuperYacht business at a conference...these are exciting times to be a YouTuber! More and more business opportunities are opening up for people who have even a modest following, and I'm very happy for James Charles who may have struggled financially in a pre-internet age.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
He’s not tott
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. "Legally blind" can mean he doesn't see very well but not totally blind He’s not totally blind he can see, he just has to wear a specific prescription because of how bad his eyesight is. I believe he talked about it his eyesight in one of his videos. I watch his tutorials all time he’s really good at makeup and he really explains what he’s doing very well because there’s so many YouTubers who do tutorials but doesn’t explain it very well.