Making '''youtube friends''''

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Okay, so this may seem juvenile, but... I'm struggling to make 'online' friends, people that are in similar content situations (making similar content) ect
I also feel awkward in a lot of online spaces as I'm usually quite a bit older than people I come across (Not always! I'm young still, only 23, but a lot of people who I interact with on insta ect seem to be... 15-17 ish, and I just don't feel super comfortable being FRIENDS with someone that age.. if that makes sense)

SO basically, I'm wondering, how do you find people, and what has your experience been like? I feel like if I had more of a following it would be easier for people to find me, but thats life!

Again, sorry for sounding like a 12 year old kid going into highschool LOL

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
sorry for sounding like a 12 year old kid going into highschool LOL
Ha, don't be, because 26 year old me feels the same way xD I seem to have the opposite problem, as in the people I interact with are much older then me. I really don't understand how people just find a community they seem to fit in. I feel like the creative communities are easier (animation channels, animation memes, storytime animations, timelapse drawings, etc). They're very distinct with multiple platforms you can interact on.

So my experience has been similar to yours. The most like minded people I've found are actually on this forum! But nothing that led to collaborations or actual online friendships. I've tried FB groups as well, but as I said, most people seem to be a lot older or in a vastly different niche.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
From my personal experience, it happened by chance. As weird as it may sound I just found myself in the right place at the right time and I just was myself. And yes, most of the time I met them in this forum. Keep on searching, and you will eventually find some youtube friends.

Reactions: Morgans Crew

BestNerdLife

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Haha, I don't really have any helpful advice, but this thread is super relatable. As a 30-year-old man from Sheffield (UK) who has really just started this YouTubing lark, it does feel a bit daunting to find 'YouTube' friends. So don't feel lonely as you aren't alone in your experiences! And wow, you make me feel old talking about you being 23 haha!

just4thes

Reaction score
I can't relate more! I live in a country that doesn't speak English, and I make English content, so you can imagine the struggle of me trying to find some youtube friends. I am still looking btw, but I am hopefull that I will make friends with some lovely chill youtubers one day :)

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
But nothing that led to collaborations or actual online friendships.
I get what you mean, I have talked to a lot of nice people from this forum and it's really helped build my channel and my confidence from the start, I think it's just hard to 'click' with people online sometimes!

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
And wow, you make me feel old talking about you being 23 haha!
I honestly never think of myself as 'old', I know I'm basically an infant compared to a lot of people in the YT space but damn, if I talk to someone online only to find out they're 14 and do a 'yikes...' one more time.. LOL
It's tough though, esp since I don't have any IRL friends in the YT or even online space really (On an... dare I say, '''influencer''' standpoint, rather than just a 'upload selfies and dog pics to instagram for friends and family') and hardly any of the people I know even KNOW about my channel, and those that do don't rrreaally get it..

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hahahah I know what you mean.I deal with the general public on a day to day basis and yet I get massive anxiety when I attempt to game with other gamers, that I'm not already friends with
I honestly think sometimes we are all in the same boat, maybe I need to as they say put myself out there a bit more.