making video with a effed up face...lol

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
so earlier this week. while working on a semi truck I had a little accident that that resulted in about a 1lb piece of metal with the force of a strong blow from a very large sledge hammer sent flying back at me straight into my face. huge black eye half my face is swollen knocked several teeth loose (not out thankfully) about 80% sure I actually fractured my cheek bone. so talking with enthusiasm is rather difficult.

the repair I was doing will actually be part of next weeks video although I didn't actually have the camera running when it happed. my video that went up this week was filmed prior to the accident but I included a quick clip near the end of the video with me with my screwed up face basically saying and next week your find out how this happened...and what ill be working on......lol I did gain a subscriber within 20 mins of posting that video (could be coincidence)

I have a lot of stuff going on right now that will make good content for my channel and I finally have a chance where I can get several weeks ahead on my video's however I do feel a little weird about putting out a lot of video with a screwed up face.
screwed up face.jpg

pretty sure its not going to heal super quick so there is going to be some video's with my screwed up face. I could probably still make weekly video's for a while without filming anything new, next week's is filmed (with a screwed up face) and I have a couple video's worth of footage that I decided didn't make good video that were recorded a while ago.

however the work will go on weather I record or not. so if I don't record ill loose good content that probably won't come up again for quite a while.

how would you guys handle that situation?

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
I feel like you should just go for it and continue making content. It may very well make your subscribers feel closer to you because you shared something like this with them, and maybe unfortunately a little schadenfreude, but depending on how you feel I guess they will be laughing with you. Why would you just stop? Just keep going if you are worried about losing content. This just makes you more human.

Reactions: Ezrider92356

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
you do bring up some points I had not really thought of. I'm not embarrassed by it at all, but my video's remain relevant individually. so my hesitation to crank out a lot of video over the next few weeks comes from feeling like ill have to explain what happened in every video. ill probably just make a comment in each video that a video link will be in the description if you want to know what happened witch will probably over time hurt audience retention on next weeks video.

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
you do bring up some points I had not really thought of. I'm not embarrassed by it at all, but my video's remain relevant individually. so my hesitation to crank out a lot of video over the next few weeks comes from feeling like ill have to explain what happened in every video. ill probably just make a comment in each video that a video link will be in the description if you want to know what happened witch will probably over time hurt audience retention on next weeks video.
You could probably make a pop up or something saying that there is a link in the description (I know annotations aren’t a thing anymore) or just don’t say anything at all, still put the link in the description and maybe pin a comment so when someone goes to comment about it, they will just see your comment explaining or telling people the link.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Ouch, I hope you're ok. That sounds and looks painful. I'd definitely recommend you get yourself checked out by a doctor and dentist. :)

how would you guys handle that situation?
You could own it and make a video giving the story of how it happened etc etc. That photo would be a good thumbnail. ^^

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

Ouch, I hope you're ok. That sounds and looks painful. I'd definitely recommend you get yourself checked out by a doctor and dentist. :)

You could own it and make a video giving the story of how it happened etc etc. That photo would be a good thumbnail. ^^

I wasn't really sure what part of the fourm this topic would best fit....lol

I certainly planned on owning it how I'll go about owning it I'm still not sure yet. its probably a good thing I'm not a vain person who puts a lot of concern into my appearance. next weeks video is already filmed but not yet edited. I should probably try to edit it sooner rather than later incase I need to shoot anything else if I change how I present the video.

iv found in the past that combining two related but different topics in one video is generally bad for audience retention. so maybe I will make it be 2 uploads for next week. one for black eye and the other for content. of course a couple weeks ago I had two related but different topics and made it two uploads at the same time and they were my worst preforming video's to date, could be just no one was interested in the subject or maybe 2 uploads at the same time hurt me I don't know. sometimes trying to make sense of why one video preforms and another does not just leads to more questions than answers.

on a plus note when I got up this morning the swelling had gone down quite a bit over night, it had been getting worse everyday, so maybe I won't look like I got punched in the face by mike Tyson as long as I thought I would. as far as getting it checked out even if my face is literally broken they cant cast your face besides doing reconstructive surgery and I think under all the swelling my face is still in the same shape. being self employed id rather not run up large medical expenses unless its really necessary.

several years ago I racked my elbow into a meal bracket and laid my elbow open, couldn't stop the bleeding and went to the er for quite a few stiches cost me out of pocket around 2 grand. insurance for someone who is self employed is a joke, it either costs you 10 times what your average annual medical costs are or it does not cover anything. but that is a whole different topic.

the picture I posted is actually a screen shot from the raw footage from next weeks video....lol

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I wasn't really sure what part of the fourm this topic would best fit....lol

I certainly planned on owning it how I'll go about owning it I'm still not sure yet. its probably a good thing I'm not a vain person who puts a lot of concern into my appearance. next weeks video is already filmed but not yet edited. I should probably try to edit it sooner rather than later incase I need to shoot anything else if I change how I present the video.

iv found in the past that combining two related but different topics in one video is generally bad for audience retention. so maybe I will make it be 2 uploads for next week. one for black eye and the other for content. of course a couple weeks ago I had two related but different topics and made it two uploads at the same time and they were my worst preforming video's to date, could be just no one was interested in the subject or maybe 2 uploads at the same time hurt me I don't know. sometimes trying to make sense of why one video preforms and another does not just leads to more questions than answers.

on a plus note when I got up this morning the swelling had gone down quite a bit over night, it had been getting worse everyday, so maybe I won't look like I got punched in the face by mike Tyson as long as I thought I would. as far as getting it checked out even if my face is literally broken they cant cast your face besides doing reconstructive surgery and I think under all the swelling my face is still in the same shape. being self employed id rather not run up large medical expenses unless its really necessary.

several years ago I racked my elbow into a meal bracket and laid my elbow open, couldn't stop the bleeding and went to the er for quite a few stiches cost me out of pocket around 2 grand. insurance for someone who is self employed is a joke, it either costs you 10 times what your average annual medical costs are or it does not cover anything. but that is a whole different topic.

the picture I posted is actually a screen shot from the raw footage from next weeks video....lol

A teen Vlogger would probably go the clickbait route with a title like "STORYTIME - ZOMG - I NEARLY DIED TODAY!" lol ^^

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
ha ha, yeah I don't think that's the route I'm going to be going with this. my audience is a adult audience. I feel that would alienate my audience and attract viewers who would not give a rats behind about my other content.

Reactions: Crown