Making Parody Songs Work

Clandlewood

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi there.

I've made one minecraft parody song and had good feedback and am looking to make more.

However, I'm very iffy on the rules youtube has; whether it matters if I make the music myself or not etc... It seems as though from their wording that parodies that aren't directly referencing the original song or artist are technically satires and aren't allowed.

However, tonnes of channels make these sorts of videos and they're left up so I'm assuming it's not really enforced?

Anyone who's already made parodies or cover songs have any idea whether I'm actually allowed to make these videos? I'm not sure I fully understand youtube legal-speak on the matter.

Thanks in advance!

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
A parody is only fair use if the judge says so. You have to be sued to determine if your work is a parody. Weird Al Yankovic gets permission and I do as well. I talk to several music publishers universal, sony, Warner etc and they all say a parody is technically a derivative work because you are changing the lyrics and that they will sue in most cases. The reason why all these parodies are around like Key Of Aweseome etc is because they have so much money that these companies wouldn't sue them because they know that it wouldn't be worth it and they have lawyers that will fight for the lawsuit. Also since the Content ID system YouTube is paying these companies millions so they won't bother suing. I also advise you check out parody/satire satire is not fair use and you need permission. A good example is Eat It by Weird Al. It's a satire because he never mentions or mocks Michael Jackson in the song recording. A parody would be if you mentioned the original artist while mocking the original work. I know this because I communicate with a copyright lawyer and even Weird Al's lawyer has said only three of his songs are parody and the rest are satire. Changing the words does not make it a parody. Also The YouTube license deal that was made back in 2011 says that derivative works are not covered. So even song covers that are altered with lyrics changes or drastic melody changes are not allowed on YouTube unless you have permission. It's very confusing and whether you will be sued is all random and based on who you are and what kind of money you have.

Clandlewood

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the info.

Its just such a minefield. There's so many parodies out there that don't get taken down and I assume it's just becuase content owners can't be bothered to go after them.

Seems bizarre as the reason people watch parodies is to listen to the things you've changed (else they'd be watching the original), but I know that's not how the law works.

Cheers anyway :)

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You are welcome. As far as getting permission goes I can try to explain it to you in a Private Message if you would like. Considering how complicated it is it might be challenging just to understand it all. I spent almost two years learning it.

Clandlewood

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That would be great if you could. Would deifnitely be something worth bearing in mind for future songs!

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Okay, Please go to my website offbeatbryce.com and contact me through there then I can explain it to you.