Making Money from a Football Video Channel?

MGPT

Reaction score
I have a passion for 1990s football (soccer) and have been considering making a YT channel just for 1990s compilation videos. I have a ton of old VHS tapes that I could convert into mp4 files and could also download existing youtube videos and use them.

My question is, can I possibly make any money from this and if so how? Obviously the footage is not my own and I don't want to incur any legal action or get banned from youtube.

There currently exists numerous channels that post football compilation videos. These guys have lots of views, have been going for multiple years and according to social blade they are making money. One example is 'Wrzzer' who has 182 videos, they are all using footage he clearly doesn't own and his earnings are estimated to be 150k-2.3m per year!

How exactly would he be making money given the footage does not belong to him? Is it due to a partnership of some kind? He doesn't have inbuilt ads on his videos as far as I know.

I would love to do this as a hobby and potential side income but as I said, I don't want to get in any kind of trouble for it. Would appreciate any feedback on this.