Making a reaction video STRICTLY for subs with "copyright" music.

GAIJINxSTUDY

Reaction score
I live in Japan. My content isn't the best but I know I am not reaching as many people as I need to be. I made a video of myself reacting to Japanese TikTok and of course it contains copyrighted music. I uploaded it in private and I got hit with 3 warnings. But they all just mentioned loss of monetization for the video. I'm not planning on monetizing the video either way. Could this backfire and hurt my channel which I hope to monetize in the future?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Well, if you're not monetizing yet, it's not a big problem. I do think sometimes they can place ads on your video, even if you're not monetized.
If you later on do monetize your channel, just don't select the ones with obvious copyright problems and only monetize original videos with no claims.

GAIJINxSTUDY

Reaction score
Well, if you're not monetizing yet, it's not a big problem. I do think sometimes they can place ads on your video, even if you're not monetized.
If you later on do monetize your channel, just don't select the ones with obvious copyright problems and only monetize original videos with no claims.
Noted! Thanks for the advice! Good thing I didn't completely delete the video. I just didn't want my account to be in bad standing or anything.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / claims / legal forum. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
There is one problem you should note.

A Compliance Review for application to the YPP will not be successful with active copyright claims in place; plus if the majority of your views come from copyright-claimed media, this will help to guarantee that your YPP application will be rejected for "reused content".

You also need to know that TikTok doesn't allow commercial use of the platform's content; and you must have commercial use rights for all content intended for monetization on YouTube. So again, if the majority of your views and subs come from this video when you apply for monetization, that will definitely work against you.

GAIJINxSTUDY

Reaction score
There is one problem you should note.

A Compliance Review for application to the YPP will not be successful with active copyright claims in place; plus if the majority of your views come from copyright-claimed media, this will help to guarantee that your YPP application will be rejected for "reused content".

You also need to know that TikTok doesn't allow commercial use of the platform's content; and you must have commercial use rights for all content intended for monetization on YouTube. So again, if the majority of your views and subs come from this video when you apply for monetization, that will definitely work against you.
Thanks for the tips!
I assumed the monetization process was pretty automated... I suppose I'll take the video down!

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks for the tips!
I assumed the monetization process was pretty automated... I suppose I'll take the video down!
It may have been in the past, but not any more.

Last year YouTube deliberately took on more than 10,000 extra employees whose sole task is to review channels for compliance with the new YPP Policies and Guidelines brought in about the same time. For future reference, please also take note of this often overlooked section of the YouTube Terms of Service, which you had to accept and promise to abide by when you joined the site and set up a channel.

"7.7 You agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain any third party copyright material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights (including rights of privacy or rights of publicity), unless you have a formal licence or permission from the rightful owner, or are otherwise legally entitled, to post the material in question and to grant YouTube the licence referred to in paragraph 8.1 below."

Many YouTubers seem to think they can just ignore this section; but recent events are proving this to be a false sense of security. Many YouTube channels are being terminated for copyright violation these days, often without the warning of a single strike being given.