• Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lately I have been considering getting a Macbook pro. I am not one to jump into a purchase like that as soon as I come up with they idea though. I like to research things and what not first. My intent with this laptop is to be able to edit on the go. because of my schooling sometimes I am on campus for 4-6 hours because I commute and shouldnt drive home between things. A little light gaming on it would be nice too as well. I have herd apple laptops last quit a few years longer than a typical laptop as well. What are your thoughts? Macbook or something else?

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Lately I have been considering getting a Macbook pro. I am not one to jump into a purchase like that as soon as I come up with they idea though. I like to research things and what not first. My intent with this laptop is to be able to edit on the go. because of my schooling sometimes I am on campus for 4-6 hours because I commute and shouldnt drive home between things. A little light gaming on it would be nice too as well. I have herd apple laptops last quit a few years longer than a typical laptop as well. What are your thoughts? Macbook or something else?
Macs do have a good lifespan and are built well. Whether you get a mac or not is up to you, I personally love the OS and trackpad so I think I'll be sticking with Macs long into the future but that's not to say that there aren't comparable windows laptops out there (some with better specs, the Razer Blade comes to mind). I'd recommend trying out the operating system first to see whether or not you like it, some people like it and some don't. As for gaming, GeForce Now is great for that (it's free at the moment but will be paid in the future), most Macs will probably be able to handle simple or indie games too so light gaming should be fine natively without GeForce now.

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
There are many things to consider here:

As far as schoolwork goes, if you need any specific programs to run on this laptop, you need to research which platforms it is compatible on.

For midlevel gaming and higher, a MacBook will struggle. I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that the MacBooks (including the pro) do not have graphics cards, which are pretty important when running games. I have a friend with a MacBook Pro and it runs Fortnite so slow that he just deleted the game.

As for editing, it is solely preference and compatibility with software. MacBook users can get iMovie for free, which is a good starter software for editing.

As for longevity, I'd definitely advocate for MacBooks. You will hear people say that Macbooks never get viruses, which I've seen to be mostly true. I have seen a MacBook with a virus, but I've seen far more PCs with viruses (relative to the number of each respective unit). Apple is known for making high-quality products, and tends to focus on security.

Something to consider is that PCs are much cheaper, and you can purchase many PCs for the same price as a MacBook. Keep this into consideration when considering "oh MacBooks last longer, so I'll buy that one."

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For midlevel gaming and higher, a MacBook will struggle. I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard that the MacBooks (including the pro) do not have graphics cards, which are pretty important when running games. I have a friend with a MacBook Pro and it runs Fortnite so slow that he just deleted the game.
That's correct, the 13-inch MacBook pros don't have dedicated graphics cards but the 15-inch ones do. My 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro with a graphics card struggles with any game that's slightly demanding, which is why I use GeForce now for most games (I don't game much so it doesn't really bother me). From what I've heard the graphics cards in the iMacs aren't the best either and the MacBook and MacBook Air don't have graphics cards (which is understandable with their thinness).

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Cannot tell on gaming i never do. But graphics cards are fast enough for video editing. Another advantage of macbooks is that they have a good resale price. I mean you will have to google most of laptops to see specs etc. But macbooks are commonpoy known.
Regarding power on the go there are external usb power banks and for non mac laptops i think, so you might want to explore and this option. All current new models have decent features from slimbooks to higher ones. The truth is that you will have to try before buy as long as previous posts say. Either you will love it either you will hate it!

:)

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
At that price range I would also consider a Surface Book 2. I was also looking for a powerful laptop to be used on the go and ended up getting the 15" version, which comes with Nvidia 1060. If you are already into the Apple Ecosystem the MacBook is an excellent option. But as a Windows user the Surface Book 2 is just perfect. The form factor, detachable screen and Surface line of accessories are awesome. It is pricey though, kind of hard to swallow at first.

Reactions: ASMR Amour

mytechliving

Reaction score
I would recommend the MacBook only depending on the gaming you do and the resolution you plan on editing. There's also a potential for the type of video footage you are editing and the editor you.use to dictate your decision.

First, what are you using to edit?
Premier? Either Mac or windows will work.
Final Cut? Mac only
Davinci Resolve? Either will work, but the stronger the you the better
Sony Vegas? Windows only
Anything else? Your choice.

What are you recording with and what is the footage outpit format? If it's .mov then apple ecosystem.will work better. If it's mp4 or Avi, either will work.

With my Sony camera, recording 4k to an AVCHD codec, my 6 core Mac Pro with an r9 270x struggles in Davinci Resolve because it's so GPU heavy. In this situation, a laptop with the best GPU would be best.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would recommend the MacBook only depending on the gaming you do and the resolution you plan on editing. There's also a potential for the type of video footage you are editing and the editor you.use to dictate your decision.

First, what are you using to edit?
Premier? Either Mac or windows will work.
Final Cut? Mac only
Davinci Resolve? Either will work, but the stronger the you the better
Sony Vegas? Windows only
Anything else? Your choice.

What are you recording with and what is the footage outpit format? If it's .mov then apple ecosystem.will work better. If it's mp4 or Avi, either will work.

With my Sony camera, recording 4k to an AVCHD codec, my 6 core Mac Pro with an r9 270x struggles in Davinci Resolve because it's so GPU heavy. In this situation, a laptop with the best GPU would be best.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Well currently I use Premier to edit, because that is what I am comfortable with.
I use a Canon 7Ti to record with. My desktop does a great job of handling editing the videos that it records currently and its seems like macbook pros are like not as powerful as my desktop but maybe it handle it okay. I'm sort of leaning towards the macbook pro, but Im trying to take my time to think about it since a laptop that can edit on the go will be a hefty purchase no matter what i get.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I would recommend having a MBP since I have a 2016 one. Great built, great quality and you can be sure it will last for at least 5 years. I told that form experience when I had my first MBP from 2011, one of the best laptops I had.

MBP are great for school purposes and professional life. Editing in final cut is just so easy and it exports a video extremely fast. My videos are 4GB on average and they are ready to upload in a couple of minutes. If only my internet was faster :(

I also use the MBP for light gaming as you suggest but I decided to buy an Xbox controller to play with, I also downloaded NVIDIA GEForce Now Beta where I can play AAA games with ULTRA settings without the need to worry about the specs or graphics card [It's basically Netflix for Games]. You need to buy the games on Steam and library is limited but there are a ton of games

Hope this helps!
Have a great day

Reactions: ASMR Amour