Macbook Pro or Microsoft Surface Pro 4?

Cmullinax93

Colby Wan-Kenobi
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I get paid sometime tomorrow and I'm looking into buying one of the products mentioned in the title. This will be used for video editing on the go and in my room.

The thing I like about the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is the pen and Keyboard attachment that you get with it and I've also had a surface pro before when they first came out and I really liked it.

I've never had a Macbook before nor any type of Mac product. I've just recently invested in the iPhone 7 Plus and I really like it and want to use it as my vlog recorder until later down the road when I can afford a DSLR camera, but I need a computer first so I can edit videos better.

If anyone has any insight on this please feel free to share :)

networkstudios

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
well i would recommend the macbook pro for editing it handles the processing much better and renders much faster. i use a 2014 macbook pro for editing and it is much easier than using my PC. hope this was helpful

Cmullinax93

Colby Wan-Kenobi
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank you for the insight :) I just look at it as I'll have to learn the ins and outs of working a macbook compared to already knowing the ins and outs of the surface pro lol but change is always good so I may go for the Macbook Pro. It's the 2015 model and it's like $1200 on base where I'm stationed I believe.

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Neither have great video processing. No 3d acceleration card, processor is mobile and underclocked. Unless of course you're getting the top of the line Macbooks. Those have 3rd acceleration cards, but the processors are still poor at video processing and incredibly expensive.

It's really up to you. Do you like MacOS or would you rather use Windows 10?

networkstudios

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Neither have great video processing. No 3d acceleration card, processor is mobile and underclocked. Unless of course you're getting the top of the line Macbooks. Those have 3rd acceleration cards, but the processors are still poor at video processing and incredibly expensive.

It's really up to you. Do you like MacOS or would you rather use Windows 10?
well he's looking into macbook pro which are designed for this kind of thing, plus macs use processing power a lot more efficiently than a pc. and the version of the pro he's looking at has got good video processing

Reactions: Cmullinax93

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
@networkstudios He's looking to buy the $1200 2015 model. That is the lowest tier of Macbook pro. That does not come with a 3d acceleration card, is an i5 (5th gen), 8gb of DDR3. So, not great.

If you want to do video production I would recommend a laptop with DDR4 ram, i7 7th gen, and if possible a 3d acceleration card. If you're just looking for something small, I would recommend the Lenovo Yoga 910 (it's $1199 new at Best Buy)

That i7 7th gen will handle 4k content MUCH better than any processor in previous generations. To learn more about the processor you can check the spec sheet at
https:// ark.intel. com/products/95451/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz-

Last edited:

networkstudios

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@networkstudios He's looking to buy the $1200 2015 model. That is the lowest tier of Macbook pro. That does not come with a 3d acceleration card, is an i5 (5th gen), 8gb of DDR3, a 13inch monitor. So, not great.

If you want to do video production I would recommend a laptop with DDR4 ram, i7 7th gen, and if possible a 3d acceleration card. If you're just looking for something small, I would recommend the Lenovo Yoga 910 (it's $1700 new, but maybe you could find a used one for cheaper?)

That i7 7th gen will handle 4k content MUCH better than any processor in previous generations.
i do VFX animation on a older macbook pro and it runs smoother than my old PC. how mac uses the on board power is different than PC. have you used a mac for any sort of video production? they are much more reliable for it and can handle the processing power much better than PC can

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i do VFX animation on a older macbook pro and it runs smoother than my old PC. how mac uses the on board power is different than PC. have you used a mac for any sort of video production? they are much more reliable for it and can handle the processing power much better than PC can
Since youre a big mac guy (i am to, and iMovie works perfect for my videos) Im thinking about getting a new laptop. I was thinking either the macbook pro the regular $1,299 one or a macbook air. I love the slim light look of a macbook air, but i was wondering what the real difference is between the air and the pro for video editing. Like i said i just use iMovie and it works great, i dont need anything to fancy.

networkstudios

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Since youre a big mac guy (i am to, and iMovie works perfect for my videos) Im thinking about getting a new laptop. I was thinking either the macbook pro the regular $1,299 one or a macbook air. I love the slim light look of a macbook air, but i was wondering what the real difference is between the air and the pro for video editing. Like i said i just use iMovie and it works great, i dont need anything to fancy.
well the macbook pro is more powerful than the air, as it has a more powerful processor and in the large one has more ram than the air. plus the Pro has retnia screen which is much higher quality compared to the 1080p of the air. so for video editing i would recommend the pro as it means you can upgrade form iMovie to any adobe product

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I get paid sometime tomorrow and I'm looking into buying one of the products mentioned in the title. This will be used for video editing on the go and in my room.

The thing I like about the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is the pen and Keyboard attachment that you get with it and I've also had a surface pro before when they first came out and I really liked it.

I've never had a Macbook before nor any type of Mac product. I've just recently invested in the iPhone 7 Plus and I really like it and want to use it as my vlog recorder until later down the road when I can afford a DSLR camera, but I need a computer first so I can edit videos better.

If anyone has any insight on this please feel free to share :)
I have a Macbook Pro and I would NEVER get anything else. I use to have a Dell laptop and it was garbage compared to my mac. It is just very quick and can handle all the video files without being slow. But, if you've used a surface before YOU might prefer that. When I first got my mac, it was a big adjustment because it is very different than any windows products but I have an iPhone and iPad so now I am all apple. Best decision I made! :)