Lower quality after uploading

Ayeemah

Reaction score
Hello all!

I've recently completed my first video which is ready to be uploaded on Youtube.

I've exported the file as directed by Youtube (mp4, H.264, 720p, etc). When the file completes its export from Final Cut Pro and I open it in Quicktime, it looks just as it should. But when I upload it "privately" on Youtube, it looks more pixelated than it does in Quicktime.

Researching why this could be, the only answer I seem to find is that Youtube sometimes takes time to process the higher definition version(s) of videos, and therefore if you wait a few hours, it should reach the expected standard of quality. But my video (and I've uploaded it numerous times now with various settings) processes very quickly and I'm able to watch it at 720p almost immediately. I've even left it for 5 hours and come back to it to see if it was processing in some way behind the scenes, but when I returned, it hadn't changed.

So I'm a bit disheartened! I really want my video to look like it does in Quicktime or VLC, but I have no idea how to resolve this resolution issue.

Please let me know if you're aware of any way I can make the uploaded video on Youtube play as it does on my desktop.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the Video Editing / Recording / Software discussion forum.

I think YouTube converts videos to a format that they can host more easily. They recommend that videos are exported with these settings:

It could be that they are converting the video during the video processing, and you are noticing the differences, but I'm not sure. I'd try exporting the video with their recommended settings and see if it uploads differently. :eek:

xpdeus

Reaction score
Youtube encoding decreased quality of your video