Low viewers duration time what to do?

Scuplex

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello dear creators, i face a problem where i upload a video it gets 50-60 views and the average watch time on the videos from my viewers is 0:43 and the videos have a length of 6-10 minutes
I know that this question has been asked multiple times in the past but i want a bit of clear advice to improve as a small youtube channel!

mirrorlessNY(youtuber)

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
this might be normal, a good question would be: why should someone watch the whole video? is there an educational commentary explaining a strategy? gear characteristics?

NateStanley

Editor / Creator
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Hey Scuplex, could you take some screenshots of the view-time analytics of a couple of your videos as well as link your channel?

OpiumSymposium

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
From my experience shorter videos get better view retention than longer videos.

There can be a lot of reasons why your view retention is so low, ranging from content that people don't want to watch to sharing your videos to your friends on Facebook who only click and watch a couple of seconds only to move on to something else.

Reactions: Scuplex

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
You tags, title, and thumbnail get them to click. Your content gets them to stay.
Make sure the tags, title, and thumbnail are engaging - and actually apply to the content of your video. Whatever you are promising, needs to be presented. Then present it well, and keep it entertaining and/or informative.

I have the same issue, I think it is pretty common. Look at your retention graph. There tends to be a quick drop off, which means they immediately clicked away from your vid (accidental start of your vid? Something quickly turned them off? Who knows). I don't worry about those too much. We do not really get enough analytics to see why they click on & off so quickly.

I look at the viewers who stay. If I can keep them until the end, or very near the end of the video, I figure I am doing something right. The ones that stay are my audience, they also bring the average watch time up.

Scuplex

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Scuplex, could you take some screenshots of the view-time analytics of a couple of your videos as well as link your channel?
I noticed that my video where i had a "nice" or you can say a thumbnail that makes the viewers to click to see what happened had the most views! i get around now 40-70 views but i only gained 3 subscribers in the past 5 videos! getting subscribers requires content that other people will like... i think that my content is great enough to make people wanna see more but this is my opinion ofc ! here are the screenshots andthe link is under my name WebSITE :)

Attachments

Scuplex

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
You tags, title, and thumbnail get them to click. Your content gets them to stay.
Make sure the tags, title, and thumbnail are engaging - and actually apply to the content of your video. Whatever you are promising, needs to be presented. Then present it well, and keep it entertaining and/or informative.

I have the same issue, I think it is pretty common. Look at your retention graph. There tends to be a quick drop off, which means they immediately clicked away from your vid (accidental start of your vid? Something quickly turned them off? Who knows). I don't worry about those too much. We do not really get enough analytics to see why they click on & off so quickly.

I look at the viewers who stay. If I can keep them until the end, or very near the end of the video, I figure I am doing something right. The ones that stay are my audience, they also bring the average watch time up.
Thats one major problem they could before leaving ... leave feedback so we know why they left and how we can fix that! YouTube doesnt help a lot with its analytics!

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thats one major problem they could before leaving ... leave feedback so we know why they left and how we can fix that! YouTube doesnt help a lot with its analytics!
That would be nice, but who wants to fill out a questionnaire just to leave a video? YT offers a way to refine the recommendations, and I rarely bother with that...

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I checked out your last video pretending to be interested in the topic. I watched for about 20 seconds and I had no idea when the part about the 6 kills is coming - you made a few kills, got killed in return and that's it. I clicked off and had no further interest in watching the rest of the video.

You have to literally tell the viewers what and when is happening in your video, because they will leave if you don't offer them the content promised by the title and/or thumbnail. You can do this with either the voiceover (doesn't matter if your English is bad, just say it the best way you can) or some kind of textual overlay/transition.

This is purely speculative advice, but as someone who's experimenting extensively with different video structures and formats right now, I can tell you from my own experience that you have a VERY short time window to capture people's attention. I'm talking 10-20 seconds tops.

Even my latest video with 43.5% Audience retention, which is the new "high-score" for my channel, immediately dropped to 65%-ish in the first 10 seconds.

Getting somebody to click on your thumbnail/title is only half the battle, you have to make it absolutely crystal clear what and when to expect in the first few seconds to keep them from leaving your video right away.