Lots of comments saying to raise my volume

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
So.......is there a way I can do this within YouTube?

Also, since I can't seem to get my volume right...any tips?

Also, I'm assuming that YouTube lowered my volume, because it sounds fine in my editing software.

I've been doing some research about audio normalization on YouTube. I don't know much about it, or if YouTube has normalized my video yet, but it says "Volume/Normalized 100%/100% (content loudness -30.5dB)

Last edited:

RhysP

Reaction score
don't think you can do it in YouTube, but Audacity is a good free download (sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/). you'll have to reupload the edited files though.

Reactions: darksmokeyt

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Does anyone have/had videos with too low of a volume, and already uploaded it to YouTube? I need to know what I should do from here.

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
well once it's uploaded, you're pretty much screwed.

however, moving forward I do have a few suggestions b/c I always try to be aware of volume levels.

based on my experience, the volume levels differ quite a bit if you're editing with your head phones on or off. this pertains to my macbook, not sure about pc. anyways, with my headphones on, the volume levels sound much louder but when they are off, the volume is significantly lower. so you have to find that right balance. this also applies to background music. whenever I bump into a video that has background music that's way too loud, I know that that person probably didn't take that into account.

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
well once it's uploaded, you're pretty much screwed.

however, moving forward I do have a few suggestions b/c I always try to be aware of volume levels.

based on my experience, the volume levels differ quite a bit if you're editing with your head phones on or off. this pertains to my macbook, not sure about pc. anyways, with my headphones on, the volume levels sound much louder but when they are off, the volume is significantly lower. so you have to find that right balance. this also applies to background music. whenever I bump into a video that has background music that's way too loud, I know that that person probably didn't take that into account.
Thanks a ton buddy. I've done some research about audio normalization on YouTube, and from what I can find, it's much better to put audio that's too loud onto YouTube rather than too quiet, because YouTube will normalize it (decrease the intensity), and make it less loud, but they will not boost quiet videos. Thanks again.

Reactions: sanitary103

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depending on your editing software, it’s best to show the audio meters on the screen while you’re editing so that you can see audio levels and peaks. This is a much more accurate way if editing than just relying on the audio itself, because your particular setup will have a tremendous affect on the audio. (As others said, headphones vs. laptop speakers vs. desktop speakers, etc.). Go by the audio level meters.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
YouTube will not lower or alter your volume. But YouTube does provide guidelines you should aim for when editing your audio.

You cannot go solely by what YOU hear, because eveyone’s setup is different. From headphone to laptops to cell phones to 70” televisions. It’s going to sound different on every device.

It’s best practice to use the audio level meters in your editing software to set your audio levels and use that as the reference as opposed to what you actually hear. The sound coming from your speakers or headphones have little to nothing to do with the actual audio levels that are displayed in your editing software.

Whatever you use for editing, google “setting audio levels in Premier” or “setting audio levels in Final Cut.” Or Resolve or Windows Movie Maker or iMovie or whatever you are editing in. Find out the best practices YouTube requires for audio and use your audio meters to hit those goals without exceeding (or clipping) them.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Well you found a way to flood your channel with comments! :p

What previous posts says. Also check if you record two channels of audio and those end in your final edit. It is weird and rare error but also a possible reason i think.

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Well you found a way to flood your channel with comments! :p

What previous posts says. Also check if you record two channels of audio and those end in your final edit. It is weird and rare error but also a possible reason i think.
:bounce:Haha, thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1530215671,1530215559][/DOUBLEPOST]
YouTube will not lower or alter your volume. But YouTube does provide guidelines you should aim for when editing your audio.

You cannot go solely by what YOU hear, because eveyone’s setup is different. From headphone to laptops to cell phones to 70” televisions. It’s going to sound different on every device.

It’s best practice to use the audio level meters in your editing software to set your audio levels and use that as the reference as opposed to what you actually hear. The sound coming from your speakers or headphones have little to nothing to do with the actual audio levels that are displayed in your editing software.

Whatever you use for editing, google “setting audio levels in Premier” or “setting audio levels in Final Cut.” Or Resolve or Windows Movie Maker or iMovie or whatever you are editing in. Find out the best practices YouTube requires for audio and use your audio meters to hit those goals without exceeding (or clipping) them.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely continue researching and try and set my audio level. I was under the impression that YouTube normalizes loud videos to become quieter? Try right-clicking on a video while it is playing and click on "stats for nerds," and it shows a normalized audio category.

Reactions: videoeditgr