• Bad decision.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I Currently use GoPro Session, and i know its not the greatest, but it was a Christmas present and its what pushed me to start! but one problem i ran into is when i use it in really dim light, the quality comes way too dark.

I am still very happy with the session, I still use it! but i think its time to upgrade! im looking for a camera that can record 1080p at 60fps! for something under $500? Sounds impossible because well i tried looking, but couldn't really find much. So maybe I thought I ask??

Help please? :)

Pluralize Entertainment

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you want to stick with GoPro, I would move up to the GoPro Hero4 Silver. It has much better image quality for the same price, plus a screen to view what your're vlogging. If you want to move up from that, I can tell you that I personally vlogged with the Nikon D3300 for 2 years before then upgrading to the D5300. Amazing image quality since it is a DSLR, and though the D5300 would be better for vlogging because it has a screen that can swivel around, the D3300 would do just fine for the cheaper price! Can shoot true HD (1920x1080) at 60 FPS easy! If a DSLR is not your thing but you still want good image quality, try looking at some of the camcorders/handycams that Sony makes. They are pretty much leading the camera industry these days with Canon and Nikon falling behind.

LRwF

Super Poster
Reaction score
We used the Canon IXUS 220 HS, though it only filmed in 24fps it was very good for the price and a good camera (it was our first vlogging camera). I personally dont like using the GoPro for vlogging because of the sound quality and poor lighting but if it works continue - its hard to find a good camera cheap..

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Are you looking for something portable or will you mainly be recording at home?

CrystalD

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If you're going to be stationary, maybe look into a nice webcam? I recently picked up a Logitech C920 and am loving it - it has HD quality, 1080P, but 30 FPS. It's only 70 dollars though, and if you're going to be just sitting in your room vlogging then I would personally go with that. They also have the C930, but from what I've read the difference in quality isn't really worth the price jump.

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If you're going to be stationary, maybe look into a nice webcam? I recently picked up a Logitech C920 and am loving it - it has HD quality, 1080P, but 30 FPS. It's only 70 dollars though, and if you're going to be just sitting in your room vlogging then I would personally go with that. They also have the C930, but from what I've read the difference in quality isn't really worth the price jump.
I have the C930. It's good for skyping. I have used it for live streaming before, but in my opinion the quality is far from ideal for use as the main camera for a YouTube channel.

NuSpirit

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If it doesnt have to be camera/DSLR I can recommend Canon Vixia HF R600/R700 (if you are in USA) or Canon Legria HF R606/R706 (if you are in EU). Tiny camcorder, flip-able display, fairly low price (US version around $250-$300, EU can be from €200-€275)

Scheck

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've just started vlogging with the Sony alpha 5000 and the quality is really impressing me. It even has a flip screen which makes vlogging simple, and you can change all settings as you would a full size dslr.

Due to it not being the latest model (or even the second latest model) the price has really gone down too. I picked mine up for £140.

Also, interchangeable lenses! but for vlogging the wide angle it comes with is perfect for me.

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I've just started vlogging with the Sony alpha 5000 and the quality is really impressing me. It even has a flip screen which makes vlogging simple, and you can change all settings as you would a full size dslr.

Due to it not being the latest model (or even the second latest model) the price has really gone down too. I picked mine up for £140.

Also, interchangeable lenses! but for vlogging the wide angle it comes with is perfect for me.
£140 is an absolute bargain for that camera. I was considering the a5100 but I saw one or two people saying the stock lens wasn't great for vlogging and a good vlogging lens cost hundreds more. Not sure if that was good advice or not.

How do you find the size and weight of the 5000? Do you walk around and do vlogging style videos with it?

Scheck

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
£140 is an absolute bargain for that camera. I was considering the a5100 but I saw one or two people saying the stock lens wasn't great for vlogging and a good vlogging lens cost hundreds more. Not sure if that was good advice or not.

How do you find the size and weight of the 5000? Do you walk around and do vlogging style videos with it?

Size and weight are excellent. Down side is you can't attach aftermarket microphone, but the quality of the stereo microphones on top is pretty good!

Its big enough to have an excellent sensor, yet smaller than a dslr so i don't feel like an idiot carrying it with me all of the time. I walk around with it on the end of a small ish tripod and I feel the picture quality is miles better than my old Panasonic hc v500 handycam for vlogging.