Looking for camera / lighting recommendations

barry.c

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hi guys,

I'm just about to start a channel doing guitar covers and I'm looking for recommendations as to what kind of camera I should get? 1080 and 60fps will do for now. Don't have a huge budget but willing to stretch if it'll improve the channel. Also, I haven't much knowledge when it comes to lighting. Would one light be enough to suffice if I'm filming in a relatively badly lit room? Any lighting rig recommendations? Thanks!

Reactions: UhoohExtra

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
You don't need a camera. Just use your moby. It's mostly about the lighting. You will get very high quality on most phones if your lighting is good. You need a soft box set of around 3 lights on stands. Look on the usual ecommerce sites for 'soft boxes' and spend about £50-80 if your on a budget. That should do. Presume your already knowledgable on recording sound given your channel type. You can get the visuals wrong but people are not forgiving if the sound is bad.
Good luck

Reactions: barry.c

barry.c

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I have an honor play phone. You think the camera will be sufficient? Would a Shure SM57 cut it for recording any dialogue?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Hey Barry, I think your phone should be fine to start. You can get a cheap portable LED light source for under 50 bucks on Amazon. The light is called Aputure M9. Once you're ready to upgrade to a camera, let me know :)