Looking for a Free Video Editor to get started

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a free video editor to get me started with my channel. If things start to look up, I'll spend some money on better software if I feel the need. The screen capture software I use will record 2 audio tracks, I'd like an editor that would support this. In other words, so I can add effects or change levels on my mic without affecting the computer/game sound.

Also, I'd like to be able to overdub audio in the editor somehow. I have only basic video editing experience(much more experience with photography) so I might be asking for things improperly but hopefully you get what I'm looking to do. Combining clips would be very important as well, which I think most editors do.

Suggestions? I've seen a few that look promising but not sure, such as Lightworks, VSDC, and Openshot

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Imovie is the best free one that I've used. The rest couldn't match it from what I found. But I quickly got out of the free stuff as they are very limiting. I now use Adobe Premiere Elements 15 which is decent and only 80$ US

Reactions: WebSam

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you don't want the pirate software, I'd suggest Pinnacle Video Spin. It's free, pretty good, and it was one of my first editors

Reactions: Skydmark1

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you don't want the pirate software, I'd suggest Pinnacle Video Spin. It's free, pretty good, and it was one of my first editors
I'll check that out, I wanna take a closer look at that OpenShot too, I've heard good things, I'm just not sure it does everything I want

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Turns out Openshot can only be installed on 64 bit operating systems, I'll give Pinnacle a look next

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi! I would also recommend iMovie if you're on a Mac. I also have had good luck with Lightworks years back when I've used it.. Windows Live Movie Maker is another option.

Removed by Staff
Discussion and promotion of piracy is forbidden on this forum. The fact that you skated around saying it was piracy makes it clear you were aware of this rule.

BrainInAJar

Reaction score
I have used Kdenlive in the past, it's a free editing software on Linux that now has a beta Windows-version.

Although, depending on what kind of videos you want to create and what kind of features you need, my suggestion to you would be to not waste too much time searching for freeware and instead buy a cheap older version of paid software that looks good to you and has the tools you think you're going to need.
If you like the program, you can buy a more recent version later, but in the end it will save you a lot of time if you don't have to start the whole learning process all over again.

Skydmark1

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have used Kdenlive in the past, it's a free editing software on Linux that now has a beta Windows-version.

Although, depending on what kind of videos you want to create and what kind of features you need, my suggestion to you would be to not waste too much time searching for freeware and instead buy a cheap older version of paid software that looks good to you and has the tools you think you're going to need.
If you like the program, you can buy a more recent version later, but in the end it will save you a lot of time if you don't have to start the whole learning process all over again.
That's an idea too, Guess I just need to do a little more research. Mostly I just want to be able to do basic video editing (cutting, transitions, etc), have the ability to add audio, or adjust the audio tracks that come from OBS screen capture, and maybe some options for creating titles and things like that. I'm on windows so maybe I should just try using Movie Maker to get my basic skills down before jumping into something more advanced? I tend to jump in over my head sometimes

bigattck

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's an idea too, Guess I just need to do a little more research. Mostly I just want to be able to do basic video editing (cutting, transitions, etc), have the ability to add audio, or adjust the audio tracks that come from OBS screen capture, and maybe some options for creating titles and things like that. I'm on windows so maybe I should just try using Movie Maker to get my basic skills down before jumping into something more advanced? I tend to jump in over my head sometimes
Then I definitely recommend VSDC, its very easy to use and you can do a lot more than any other video editing.