Long vs Short Shelf Life Videos & Topic Balance ~ How To Get More YouTube Views

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This concise guide will explain the difference between long and short shelf life videos, and the balance of topics for your channel. Accompanied by a video version of the guide, you will be able to master the art of uploading videos that go viral, show up on page 1 of search results and are ultimately good for your channel.

Text Version:

SHORT SHELF LIFE VIDEOS

These are videos that are no longer relevant after a period of time. This could be a video blog about something that is happening RIGHT NOW. It's a great video to have for your subscribers and may get a huge burst of views from YouTube/Google searchers - But a year or two down the road, it probably won't be relevant.
Example: Tom Cruise Buys New Expensive Car, OMG
That probably wouldn't be watched/searched much once the tabloids stop talking about it.

LONG SHELF LIFE VIDEOS
These videos are relevant for a long period of time. They will be searched for years and will bring in thousands of views over time, if not more.
Examples: How USA Election Process Works, Worst Serial Killers, Best Colleges

You need a balance of short shelf life and long shelf life videos if you want to sustain a channel that brings in tons of views each month. Sure, if you all your short shelf life videos get tons of views that's GREAT. However, just imagine if you could capture the burst of views/exposure AND sustain a video's monthly views year after year. Long shelf life videos can be far superior (but not in all cases).

TOPIC BALANCE
Having a focused channel that supports a specific niche is great, but don't forget about everyone else you could have as a subscriber. And don't start off with too much of a personal channel. While having subscribers that are there for YOU as opposed to your content is great, you need to get them there first.

Video bloggers, I am talking to you!
Starting a video blogging channel is wonderful, but don't just post videos that only directly relate to you. Nobody knows you at first. Change that. Make videos that will get views from search results for more general topics. For example, if you like to bake don't make a video called "SillyAdam Cooking" because nobody knows SillyAdam. Instead, title & shape the content of your video around "How To Bake ____, ____ Recipe by SillyAdam". This brings in more views.
Or instead of "My Favorite Food Recipes" try "Easy & Best Homemade Baking Recipes for Christmas and Thanksgiving". This captures the holiday cooks and gets them to your channel.

Make them fall in love with your general content first, then work on making them love YOU afterwards. It's far more effective than starting a video blogging channel full of YouTube tag videos and stuff that isn't standalone greatness (as in, replace you with anyone else and the video is still great). It's the answers your video has, the information that they have at first - The love for you personally comes later.

SO!
Balance the amount of personal videos you have and ultra specific ones with videos that appeal to the masses. Balance the amount of short shelf life videos with long shelf life videos so that your channel can not only live off of videos you upload weekly, but also ones that you uploaded years ago.

I hope this guide helps you grow your channel, thanks for reading. Please comment and ask questions below, I WILL reply! :)

Lofangas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks, Very helpful! My channel is mainly based around those videos with ""2014" & "2015" in the title. These get 80-95% of their views in that particular year. However, I do have some long life videos which push up my views drastically. Could this be a serious issue for me when I get a bit larger, say 2500 subs?

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
This is actually one of the biggest problems on my channel. My best series (quality-wise) is a topical news editorial in the gaming space and very few of them are ultimately relevant for more than a few weeks. I've not yet put in place a solid plan of action to resolve this unfortunately.

SpacePrincessSandy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been focusing on timeless, or as you say long shelf life videos so far. I have a series on fashion tips (garment care, textile types, etc) and I have shied from short shelf life videos because I feel like everyone would say the same thing on the latest. Being that I am oriented towards long shelf life videos, I have considered doing some "time capsule" videos with a fashion history orientation. As in what's hot right now, how I predict it will be remembered 5 years from now. Does that sound like it would work out alright?

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been focusing on timeless, or as you say long shelf life videos so far. I have a series on fashion tips (garment care, textile types, etc) and I have shied from short shelf life videos because I feel like everyone would say the same thing on the latest. Being that I am oriented towards long shelf life videos, I have considered doing some "time capsule" videos with a fashion history orientation. As in what's hot right now, how I predict it will be remembered 5 years from now. Does that sound like it would work out alright?
Sorry for not replying to this until now.
I think a time capsule video has more value for you and your fans/friends/family than it does for the random viewer. I may be wrong.

I think a proper time capsule that has a higher chance of being popular in the future would be a good 10+ minute video that shows tons of things that are happening today with a focus on trends, styles, etc. Then instead of just releasing it as a time capsule video update thing in the future, upload it as a "All 2015 Kids Will Remember This" video. Remember those "All 90's Kids Remember These Things" videos that were popular?
That's how I think a time capsule video would really work for you, but it requires patience and the ability to upload the video in 10-20 years from now haha.

Khappa

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Musician, Vlogger
some good advice bro... interesting. Now I just have to adapt what you say in case of my channel and it is not easy but I wanna work in make it possible
Thank you man :)

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No problem man! It's tough, but long shelf videos are so worthwhile. A few of my long shelf videos took a while to really get off the ground, but now they rank for certain keywords that bring in a few hundred views per day, per video. It's definitely worth the effort.

My first long shelf video has over 60,000 views and has been through a lot.

When it reached 15,000 views someone filed a DMCA takedown notice. I countered their claim and fortunately YouTube saw that I was correct in my claim of fair use. Seeing that video come back online and reach 60,000 views is amazing. I made a second version of that video that is now around 4,000 views and will most likely end up as a video with 50-100,000 views in a year or so.

Video 1:
Top 10 WoW Rages | NERD RAGE | Raidleaders Screaming!

Video 2:
6 Insane Nerd Rages, World of Warcraft RAGE

They both are ranking on page1 for people looking for nerd rages and WoW rages.

some good advice bro... interesting. Now I just have to adapt what you say in case of my channel and it is not easy but I wanna work in make it possible
Thank you man :)

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
No problem man! It's tough, but long shelf videos are so worthwhile. A few of my long shelf videos took a while to really get off the ground, but now they rank for certain keywords that bring in a few hundred views per day, per video. It's definitely worth the effort.

My first long shelf video has over 60,000 views and has been through a lot.

When it reached 15,000 views someone filed a DMCA takedown notice. I countered their claim and fortunately YouTube saw that I was correct in my claim of fair use. Seeing that video come back online and reach 60,000 views is amazing. I made a second version of that video that is now around 4,000 views and will most likely end up as a video with 50-100,000 views in a year or so.

Video 1:
Top 10 WoW Rages | NERD RAGE | Raidleaders Screaming!

Video 2:
6 Insane Nerd Rages, World of Warcraft RAGE

They both are ranking on page1 for people looking for nerd rages and WoW rages.
I'm at work so I can't go check them out, but please tell me you included more dots... :D

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm at work so I can't go check them out, but please tell me you included more dots... :D
Of course I included moar dots! I also included 2 other rages from the same raidleader in other groups/raids. All of those are in the top 10 one, not the 6 insane one. Check it out on my channel page, it's a couple sections down on the channel homepage.

Khappa

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Musician, Vlogger
That's sounds interesting because I created a music video called "I wanna be Nerd" :) :)

So, definitely most of you and also a PR marketer (my friend) talk about advertising using AdWords right?