Long video yes or no?

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
So I have just started out with my yt channel, I only have one video up, I was supposed to upload one today, however after editing it, the final footage came out 29 mins long and I don''t know if I should upload it or just try and record another video or something?

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
i am no expert, and I am a small youtuber, but the good news is, random people are definitely watching my videos and they have been short (about 2 - 4mins).

From research, ive been told. shorter videos are key for small and new youtubers until you grow a large audience. they say 2 - 5mins is idea then as you get better 6 - 8min then 10 - 15mins due to audience retention. I mean if you make a 20 min video, are they realistically going to watch 1 to 2 mins or 10mins? retention time is key here, especially for small youtubers like ourselves.

I try to make my videos 2 - 4 mins i had some videos posting at 1min but i actually had people asking why its so short they want to see longer videos lol.

anyhow, my audience retention on most of my videos is usually 50% or more and that is considered really good, then again dirtbikes attract a specific type of audience lol.

hope this helps!

Last edited:

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If you think it will hold peoples attention for that long then go for it. If you think people may only watch a minute or two then that would be a disaster for your watch time retention- and in return for future views also. In the past I've cut around 50% out of an uploaded video to give it better watch time retention in order to rescue the video so that Youtube shows it more around the site.

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
29 minutes is definitely very long for Youtube standards. however, there are some great videos that are that long or even longer that do well.

it all depends on the type of video and what you're trying to accomplish. for the most part though, unless it's a game play or some type of documentary, I can't see how a Youtuber would be able to constantly have videos that long.

TWITCHTOPSTUFF

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
29 minutes may be a tad long, but 10 minutes or so I have found works best!

Gits and Shiggles

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I generally just put all the stuff I want in my videos and they come out to being somewhere between 8-12 minutes and then I just post em. If you have a super long video you could turn it into a two-parter if you wanna take advantage of the youtube algorithm. Generally, it's not smart to upload super long videos because people get bored and stuff, but some YouTubers can get away with it. I realized that all of this literally just boils down to "Do whatever" sorry I couldn't be more help...

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
IMHO, that's too long for YouTube, especially if your channel is not yet established. People just don't have a long attention span on the internet and seeing the duration may dissuade them from clicking.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Can a new channel actually post 29mins? Something in the back of my mind says 15 mins max?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ask yourself, how many channels do you yourself watch that provide half hour content that you want to regularly watch?

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
I agree with most comments. It is going to be tough to retain a viewer for 29 minutes or longer. Creators with a good established community might get away with it depending on the content. Maybe just try it and see what results you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk