LOCKED - What would cause such a drastic Drop in Estimated Revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenyanese

Reaction score
That is MUCH more promising. Fingers crossed, buddy. Please update us.
I just received my finalized earnings for December

The figure is exactly $605 or what is in the Analytics.

So my ~$2700 is gone:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

I don’t know but I’ve lost faith in the emails. I expect another bogus yarn

77K views earned me $675,and barely 96hrs later,some 367K views earn me $190. How in the world

Scapestrato

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
What was the content in the video? Anything related to what lately has been frown upon (i.e. elsagate stuff, logan paul dead body vid commentary, etc.)?

Because in that case it could make sense they removed and gave back external advertisers revenue while leaving you YT Red revenue (like, controversial content that could be troubling for advertisers but not crossing the line enough to clearly break YT guidelines)

Kenyanese

Reaction score
What was the content in the video? Anything related to what lately has been frown upon (i.e. elsagate stuff, logan paul dead body vid commentary, etc.)?

Because in that case it could make sense they removed and gave back external advertisers revenue while leaving you YT Red revenue (like, controversial content that could be troubling for advertisers but not crossing the line enough to clearly break YT guidelines)
It was Jay-Z interview with New York Times.

Video was uploaded under Creative Commons so could be shared freely. It was re-uploaded severally by the community, never was it even for a second flagged as inappropriate. It was the most exciting of my uploads and only stayed viral for about 6 days from Nov 29th to December 4th.

The short 5-6 days meant I constantly checked on it.

As I said, my biggest problem is not even the poor revenues from the video but the abrupt review of it's estimated earnings which went into my finalized earnings.

Obviously something happened after end of December that made YouTube to nullify the ad rates or monetized playbacks for the month of December.

If the algos decided it had invalid clicks then how come I never got a community guideline strike? Plus, why would they take a month and 5 days to invalidate my clicks supposing this were the case? How come November earnings were not affected? And finally, can they invalidate an income stream(Ad Revenues) of the video while leaving the other one (YouTube Red) intact?

Thing is, even the most probable explanation has tons of holes so nothing makes sense

Last edited:

Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
to be honest, the $190 for 365K views is WAY more realistic than the $675 for 77K views. It takes me about 1.5million views to make $650. I think the screw up was in November, not December. I know income varies depending on CPMs but could you imagine the CPM differences you and I would have to have for this situation to be real? Basically, it would mean that your CPM is 20 times greater than mine. And I can 23892939% guarantee that it is not.[DOUBLEPOST=1515968169,1515967065][/DOUBLEPOST]also, that last pic you showed of your December income is YOUTUBE AD REVENUE...that's how much you make before the 45%, etc. is taken out. You need to look at "revenue" for your actual estimated revenue.

In December I had:
$3.09 average CPM
537,463 EMP
$1922 Youtube Ad Revenue
$881.96 my final take home check for December.

Last edited:

Kenyanese

Reaction score
to be honest, the $190 for 365K views is WAY more realistic than the $675 for 77K views. It takes me about 1.5million views to make $650. I think the screw up was in November, not December. I know income varies depending on CPMs but could you imagine the CPM differences you and I would have to have for this situation to be real? Basically, it would mean that your CPM is 20 times greater than mine. And I can 23892939% guarantee that it is not.[DOUBLEPOST=1515968169,1515967065][/DOUBLEPOST]also, that last pic you showed of your December income is YOUTUBE AD REVENUE...that's how much you make before the 45%, etc. is taken out. You need to look at "revenue" for your actual estimated revenue.

In December I had:
$3.09 average CPM
537,463 EMP
$1922 Youtube Ad Revenue
$881.96 my final take home check for December.
Of course I know YouTube Ad Revenue is total income and Your Estimated Earnings is my share of that

About 85% of my views came from the US where the CPM was the highest. So my Nov average(I think it is weighed ) CPM was $8.35

Pick any of your video November Ad rates, Revenue and break it down by country for comparison.

Look at the CPM vs estimated monetized playbacks.

To demonstrate this was reasonable, I'll share ad rates and Revenue for another video's performance in Dec. Here,

Its Dec statistics were approximately half of my disputed video's monetized playbacks for Dec so you'd expect its earnings to halve. They did more than halve because the CPM went down significantly towards end of December compared to end of Nov. It was $5.13,a 39% drop.

So looking at end of November higher CPM from the fact that I targetted and hit US viewers, do you still maintain that my $675 Nov earnings were unreasonable?

The other point which you may have missed is Youtube’s notion that a video that gets some 82K Estimated monetized playback over 77K views in Nov had zero estimated monetized playback in Dec over 367K views, not to mention the sudden slashing of my estimated earnings after end of month(Note that throughout the month of Dec, my estimated earnings started high,and grew to $3205 ,and almost all came from this video.

YouTube guide on earnings say there are only some slight adjustments after end of month. Makes sense because when you look at your earnings immediately after end of month, you miss estimates for the last few hours of the month. Also, you may get disputes,copyright strikes etc before finalized earnings which affect the Analytics estimates since these had not been factored in during the month.

My Nov earnings were very close to the Analytics so much that whatever it threw at me throughout Dec was my natural expectation +/-$15. But I was hit by -$2600

Last edited:

Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never paid for clicks. What’s interesting is the video attracted 77K views in the last 30 hours of November and some 367K in the first five days of December. November pay was quite close to the estimate.

My video has zero Estimated Monetized Playbacks for December compared to over 80K in November

C
How could your month of November have 80k estimated monetized playbacks with only 77k views? I'm so confused.
Of course I know YouTube Ad Revenue is total income and Your Estimated Earnings is my share of that

About 85% of my views came from the US where the CPM was the highest. So my Nov average(I think it is weighed ) CPM was $8.35

Pick any of your video November Ad rates, Revenue and break it down by country for comparison.

Look at the CPM vs estimated monetized playbacks.

To demonstrate this was reasonable, I'll share ad rates and Revenue for another video's performance in Dec. Here,

Its Dec statistics were approximately half of my disputed video's monetized playbacks for Dec so you'd expect its earnings to halve. They did more than halve because the CPM went down significantly towards end of December compared to end of Nov. It was $5.13,a 39% drop.

So looking at end of November higher CPM from the fact that I targetted and hit US viewers, do you still maintain that my $675 Nov earnings were unreasonable?

The other point which you may have missed is Youtube’s notion that a video that gets some 82K Estimated monetized playback over 77K views in Nov had zero estimated monetized playback in Dec over 367K views, not to mention the sudden slashing of my estimated earnings after end of month(Note that throughout the month of Dec, my estimated earnings started high,and grew to $3205 ,and almost all came from this video.

YouTube guide on earnings say there are only some slight adjustments after end of month. Makes sense because when you look at your earnings immediately after end of month, you miss estimates for the last few hours of the month. Also, you may get disputes,copyright strikes etc before finalized earnings which affect the Analytics estimates since these had not been factored in during the month.

My Nov earnings were very close to the Analytics so much that whatever it threw at me throughout Dec was my natural expectation +/-$15. But I was hit by -$2600

How is it even possible to have 77K views in a month with 80K EMP?

with 77K views, at THE MOST 20K would be monetized views. and that is being very very generous. which would make it 20 x $8 = $160 for 77K views and again, thats being generous. I just want to genuinely know how you get 80K EMP on a 77K view month? I'm highly confused on that.

I guess if you had multiple ads on your video, but even with that, that is way way way way too high a number of EMP. That would mean basically everyone watched the ad...no way.[DOUBLEPOST=1515986149,1515985688][/DOUBLEPOST]I tried to find a video of mine similar to yours. I have one with 80K views. the CPM was $2. EMP 11,000 it made $25. Your CPM is 4 times higher than mine which would make your video worth about $100.

Kenyanese

Reaction score
How could your month of November have 80k estimated monetized playbacks with only 77k views? I'm so confused.

How is it even possible to have 77K views in a month with 80K EMP?

with 77K views, at THE MOST 20K would be monetized views. and that is being very very generous. which would make it 20 x $8 = $160 for 77K views and again, thats being generous. I just want to genuinely know how you get 80K EMP on a 77K view month? I'm highly confused on that.

I guess if you had multiple ads on your video, but even with that, that is way way way way too high a number of EMP. That would mean basically everyone watched the ad...no way.
Definition of monetized playback;
Estimated monetized playbacks: A monetized playback is when a viewer views your video (i.e., a view) and is shown at least one ad impression, or when the viewer quits watching during the pre-roll ad without ever reaching your video (i.e., an abandonment).

In my opinion, and I may be wrong,the explanation is viewers rewinding the interview. It was sensational, he made some startling revelations including cheating in Beyoncé bla bla. Obviously once you start playing a video that’s regarded as a single view, but if you rewind it severally and are hit by multiple ads during that then maybe Estimated playbacks can approach and exceed views. Then again I place multiple ads inside a single video.

Here’s another example over the same period.

33K monetized playbacks v 37K views. Not equal to or greater than but very high,higher than your estimates.

I tried to find a video of mine similar to yours. I have one with 80K views. the CPM was $2. EMP 11,000 it made $25. Your CPM is 4 times higher than mine which would make your video worth about $100.
How long is your video, and how many ads do you have inside it?
Note mine is 35 min with an average 16min per view. Anyone watching any section of the video 16min would be hit by at least two ads. In short I think it depends on how captivating your content is. I have some boring ones with miserable conversion rate(views to monetized playbacks)

Last edited:

Hollyweird Teens

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Definition of monetized playback;
Estimated monetized playbacks: A monetized playback is when a viewer views your video (i.e., a view) and is shown at least one ad impression, or when the viewer quits watching during the pre-roll ad without ever reaching your video (i.e., an abandonment).

In my opinion, and I may be wrong,the explanation is viewers rewinding the interview. It was sensational, he made some startling revelations including cheating in Beyoncé bla bla. Obviously once you start playing a video that’s regarded as a single view, but if you rewind it severally and are hit by multiple ads during that then maybe Estimated playbacks can approach and exceed views. Then again I place multiple ads inside a single video.

Here’s another example over the same period.

33K monetized playbacks v 37K views. Not equal to or greater than but very high,higher than your estimates.

How long is your video, and how many ads do you have inside it?
Note mine is 35 min with an average 16min per view. Anyone watching any section of the video 16min would be hit by at least two ads

my videos are short, with only 1 ad possible per view, but doesn't matter. The viewer has to interact with your ad. Most will skip or click it off. The ads that pop up at the bottom of the screen they have to actually click on it and go to the webpage to get paid. Your ad activity is extremely abnormal in relation to your amount of views. extremely. usually 1/3 (ish) of the viewers actually interact with an ad. This is why I suspect November numbers are wrong and they tried to make up for it in December.

I'm confused at your latest pictures. I thought you had 77K views total over all your videos for the month of November?

Kenyanese

Reaction score
my videos are short, with only 1 ad possible per view, but doesn't matter. The viewer has to interact with your ad. Most will skip or click it off. The ads that pop up at the bottom of the screen they have to actually click on it and go to the webpage to get paid. Your ad activity is extremely abnormal in relation to your amount of views. extremely. usually 1/3 (ish) of the viewers actually interact with an ad. This is why I suspect November numbers are wrong and they tried to make up for it in December.

I'm confused at your latest pictures. I thought you had 77K views total over all your videos for the month of November?
No sir, 77K views are for the questionable video. There is nothing abnormal. Maybe you should ask anyone who does longer videos and who works with multiple ads inside them. I think the threshold for multiple ads is 10 minutes length.

It had 77K views in November between 29th and 30th,and another 367K views n Dec.

Compare my two top earning videos in Dec, look at their views,minutes versus income

5 million minutes and 367K views later I’m $190 richer,while a modest 356K minutes and 66K views later made me $207.

Youtube For whatever reasons yanked off all the December ad revenues from this video and left me with just YouTube Red

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.