LIghts for video lighting?

Adam

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to go a step up and buy some lights for shooting video.
What should I get that isn't t0o expensive?

stratafm

Ryan of the WWW
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter
Right now I use a combination of lamps with the shade taken off and one of those clamping shop lights. lol don't have much of a budget over here.

I'm wanting to step up my lighting too though. I've been thinking of buying a couple more shop lights... they get crazy hot though and I usually record in a rather small space. Maybe one of those multi-light tall lamps with the flexible light stems. Seen a few people use those.

I've also thought about building my own soft light boxes for my green screen (sheet hanging on wall) get-up... I don't want to set fire to the house though.

I'm open to lighting suggestions too... obviously. haha

the9one8

www.youtube.com/the9one8
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've found that shop lights work best for us so far and fairly inexpensive. When doing green screen work (which has been limited thus far) we typically use a white bed sheet a few inches in front of the light. That way the whole sheet illuminates and gives a pretty balanced lighting. Definitely not a pro style, but it does this trick on our $100/year budget:p

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
And you can change the color of the light by hanging a different color sheet. Grab a couple of the double tripod mounted ones and a pair of the floor singles with a handle. Cheap.

Reactions: the9one8

Lee-Zette

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I have soft boxes and overhead lights but it makes me look yellow! So I use a normal desk-light - a sport light one with a small head and put it on me so rest of the room around me is dark. Im using a canon EOS T1I. Sometimes when Im lazy I use the iMac webcam to make a video. Im not allowed to place videos yet on this site.

BlindSide3D

BlindSide3D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
There are many alternatives to getting some lighting for video! Experiment til your satisfied