Rolz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys whatsup! Hope you are all well. Just a quick question(mod feel free to move this if its in the wrong place):
When shooting your actual videos (not recording gameplays) how do you get the lighting right? Do you just record in the morning when it's bright or do you situate some of those light boxes/lamps (not sure of the exact name) around?

I would like to get some lights/increase the light in my room as I feel my room is too dark...

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
When doing our trail-videos we have to make due with whatever nature gives us. But when doing a product review or how-to type video in the garage, i struggle with lighting. I make best use of the natural light (window), use overhead lighting, and a high-powered natural-light flourscent photography bulb mounted in a standard (cheap!) shop-lamp.
Then I do a lot of adjustments in my editing software.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey! I have dealt with the same issues with lighting concerns. I am brand new to all of this, so I'm definitely not an expert, but here is what I do:

First of all, I am a high school English teacher in the Mississippi Delta, so I don't bring in a lot of cash anyway since teachers are paid so little (which is especially low in Mississippi, and even worse in the Delta). Therefore, I am not in a place where I can sink a bunch of money into creating my YouTube videos. I started posting videos as a hobby, but just like everyone else, I am hoping to make a little side cash just to help make ends meet. Plus, as we have all discovered, it is such a fun thing to do! :):):) My point is though, I don't have some big expensive camera or big nice lighting set ups or anything of that nature. When I posted my first few videos, I didn't like the lighting, just like the issue you say that you are encountering. I did a lot of trial and error, and my lighting is still by no means perfect, but I have improved it quite a bit by:

When I make a product review, I sit against a wall in a room where I can have a window in front of me behind the camera. I open the blinds all the way so that I have plenty of FREE ;) natural light coming in. If the light from the window isn't enough due to weather or time of day, I open my laptop behind the camera and pull up a white screen and adjust the lighting on the laptop to a higher setting. This way gives me more light shining directly at my face. Now when I create a video of my Cockatoo, Maui Lynn, (which the majority of my videos are about her) the lighting problem seems to be harder to solve. Most of the things she does that I have recorded are spontaneous actions and situations that she does when she feels like it, lol. Anyway though, that's what I do that seems to work ok for me :) I hope that helps you a little!

King Christo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I like to use natural lighting. If I need light because it is dark outside I just prop up a few flash lights. It is not as good as professional lighting, but does the job without spending all the $$$$. Unless you are making an income on youtube, I would not buy professional lighting. I do suggest finding some way to get a white backround though on in studio videos, even if that way is simply using a few bath towels.

Reactions: Rolz

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm a professional photographer so I luckily own lighting setups. All of my videos are shot at like 3am if you want to check out how they look. I use one large soft box directly in front of me. If you've got the income I suggest buying some soft boxes. You can get some cheap kits for $100-200 on Amazon that would do the trick.. that's what I started out using until I switched to the big boys.

Rolz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When doing our trail-videos we have to make due with whatever nature gives us. But when doing a product review or how-to type video in the garage, i struggle with lighting. I make best use of the natural light (window), use overhead lighting, and a high-powered natural-light flourscent photography bulb mounted in a standard (cheap!) shop-lamp.
Then I do a lot of adjustments in my editing software.
What sort of adjustments do you do? I see a lot about color grading...

Hey! I have dealt with the same issues with lighting concerns. I am brand new to all of this, so I'm definitely not an expert, but here is what I do:

First of all, I am a high school English teacher in the Mississippi Delta, so I don't bring in a lot of cash anyway since teachers are paid so little (which is especially low in Mississippi, and even worse in the Delta). Therefore, I am not in a place where I can sink a bunch of money into creating my YouTube videos. I started posting videos as a hobby, but just like everyone else, I am hoping to make a little side cash just to help make ends meet. Plus, as we have all discovered, it is such a fun thing to do! :):):) My point is though, I don't have some big expensive camera or big nice lighting set ups or anything of that nature. When I posted my first few videos, I didn't like the lighting, just like the issue you say that you are encountering. I did a lot of trial and error, and my lighting is still by no means perfect, but I have improved it quite a bit by:

When I make a product review, I sit against a wall in a room where I can have a window in front of me behind the camera. I open the blinds all the way so that I have plenty of FREE ;) natural light coming in. If the light from the window isn't enough due to weather or time of day, I open my laptop behind the camera and pull up a white screen and adjust the lighting on the laptop to a higher setting. This way gives me more light shining directly at my face. Now when I create a video of my Cockatoo, Maui Lynn, (which the majority of my videos are about her) the lighting problem seems to be harder to solve. Most of the things she does that I have recorded are spontaneous actions and situations that she does when she feels like it, lol. Anyway though, that's what I do that seems to work ok for me :) I hope that helps you a little!
Hmmm those are some creative ideas! I did not think of the laptop one hey...perhaps i'll us my phones light :)

Reactions: Emily Meredith

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
What sort of adjustments do you do? I see a lot about color grading...
For most videos, it's more of just color "correction".. adjusting the exposure and/or contrast when needed. It's pretty easy in Final Cut Pro - probably just as easy in Premier.

Rolz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For most videos, it's more of just color "correction".. adjusting the exposure and/or contrast when needed. It's pretty easy in Final Cut Pro - probably just as easy in Premier.
Ah okay cool I see! Yeah I do mess around with some of those effects in premiere:)

TechSpotJosh

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hi guys whatsup! Hope you are all well. Just a quick question(mod feel free to move this if its in the wrong place):
When shooting your actual videos (not recording gameplays) how do you get the lighting right? Do you just record in the morning when it's bright or do you situate some of those light boxes/lamps (not sure of the exact name) around?

I would like to get some lights/increase the light in my room as I feel my room is too dark...
The best lighting would be three point lighting. You can honestly pick up a few LED worklights and set them up around your room. Wax paper can be used to diffuse the light (which I recommend) to make it look softer. You want a key light which is next to your camera (I can't remember if it is to the right or left, I need to look at my school notes.) Opposite of that, and hidden from the shot, a back light to make you POP from the background. If needed you can add a fill light, or a reflector to make the lighting on your face even. I recommend googling three point lighting, that is going to really make you pop in your room :)