Lighting for creating videos with acoustic guitars

fig000

Reaction score
Hi,

This may be a bit specific but I'm not sure where else to ask. I am creating youtube instructional videos for guitar. I found that, even if I zoom or play with the lights the highest strings on my guitar are not visible in the video. I need them to be visible because I refer to them in the instructional videos. I'm using a cannon elph 180. Just for those that are wondering what this is about, the two highest (in pitch) string on the guitar are thin and that's why they aren't easily seen in the video. I've seen a couple of videos where I can see the highest strings pretty clearly.

I'm not sure if this is due to lighting (I'm using a floor lamp at the moment which works fine except for the highest strings not being visible) or if it's my camera. Some of the videos I've seen on youtube that also have the problem of the strings being invisible are clearly using better cameras than me. I've found that shining the light directly and strongly on the strings makes things worse.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

James Strange

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Good lighting always helps. Are your stings reflective? If you position the light so the camera can see the refection that could help.

But you might need a better camera with high quality lens. Then you would be able to pick up fine wire.