Let's Talk Cameras

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
My Camera :

I have a nikon dslr 52000 and i have a ton of adapters and filters to go with it, the only thing i am currently missing is a Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G , to get that tyler oakley blurry background rant effect that i see a lot of "funded" youtubers using.

It is pretty amazing if i may say so myself, here is an example of it :

There is another one with slightly better depth of field the Nikon Ai-S 50mm f/1.2 manual focus that costs 500 more USD than the one i need, the quality is notably different but to be honest, i'm shooting video so i dont believe anyone would be able to tell said difference, here is an example of it :

I believe it is just shofter and i could care less about it, still will be purchasing it in the near future but it is not a "need", just a "want".

What camera do you guys use and what are some lenses you guys use?

Therealkojr

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If i need to record a facecam type video or vlog i normally just use my webcam. Its a Logitech hd720p camera i got for really cheap. It gets the job done but i have been looking into getting a better camera for better quality. I have a bunch of skits written but you can't really do skits well on a webcam :p

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If i need to record a facecam type video or vlog i normally just use my webcam. Its a Logitech hd720p camera i got for really cheap. It gets the job done but i have been looking into getting a better camera for better quality. I have a bunch of skits written but you can't really do skits well on a webcam :p
I suggest a cheap one to try out your skits, you can remake them later if you so choose.

The one i would personally say works well is the
Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 20MP 8x Optical Zoom HD Video

Reactions: Therealkojr

BobbyKryptonite

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I use a Canon EOS 550D with the 18-35mm lens, I bought it 5 years ago when I was 17 after some hard saving. I have been very impressed with it :) I have used static for most videos though I have vlogged with it once or twice. I have recently bought some rigs for it and am saving for lens kits :)

I use a GoPro Hero3+ Black edition for helmet/handlebar footage on my bike channel as well as for some vlogs. I don't currently own a compact camera, though in the past I have had:

Pentax Optio A40 - my first real camera, bought in 2009 with my birthday money, I had just turned 15 and had this dream that I wanted to be a photographer, very nice camera, great pics and vids, but I broke the screen about 3 times, I read that this was a common problem with that model.

Fuji Finepix - bought in a charity shop (thrift shop) in 2010, bought it to tide me over while the Pentax was having its screen replaced the second time. It still shot fairly good video for 2010

Nikon Coolpix S3300 - bought in 2011 to replace the Pentax, it recorded great photos and videos, but was terrible quality, I vlogged with it for a while, then sold it to my dad, when it was about 2 years old, it died, the plastic gears that drive the lens in and out wore down and no longer worked, again, a common problem on this model, they even sell replacement lens units on ebay :/

Toshiba Camileo BW10 - Waterproof camcorder, got this secondhand in 2011, it was great, I used it for vlogs on a road trip around Canada and America, took it whitewater rafting, tubing etc, and it worked really well. Though it has a problem now :/

Canon (can't remember exact model) - Bought in 2014 to use as a vlogging camera on a holiday to Tuscany, it too beautiful crystal clear pictures and video, but, every time I moved the camera during filming, it did this annoying thing where it re-focused, meaning about 5 seconds was blurry and unwatchable, this made the camera terrible for vlogging, I ended up giving it to my Dad as an apology for selling him my old Nikon :/

So, any recommendations for a compact camera? :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Reactions: Sinc

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I use a Nikon D7100 for video and a Nikon D800 for general photography. We use only Sigma Art lenses for photography and I just use standard kit lenses for video since I don't take it that seriously. Sigma Art 35mm $800, 50mm $900, 85mm $1200. Photography is what brings us in the money to afford our equipment. The audio on Nikon DSLRs is terrible though, so I use a Røde Video Mic Pro to fix this..

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I use a Nikon D7100 for video and a Nikon D800 for general photography. We use only Sigma Art lenses for photography and I just use standard kit lenses for video since I don't take it that seriously. Sigma Art 35mm $800, 50mm $900, 85mm $1200. Photography is what brings us in the money to afford our equipment. The audio on Nikon DSLRs is terrible though, so I use a Røde Video Mic Pro to fix this..
you seem to shoot your videos with a backdrop close to your skin tone, makes it hard to actually see you but the quality is amazing.[DOUBLEPOST=1489871962,1489871892][/DOUBLEPOST]
I use a Canon EOS 550D with the 18-35mm lens, I bought it 5 years ago when I was 17 after some hard saving. I have been very impressed with it :) I have used static for most videos though I have vlogged with it once or twice. I have recently bought some rigs for it and am saving for lens kits :)

I use a GoPro Hero3+ Black edition for helmet/handlebar footage on my bike channel as well as for some vlogs. I don't currently own a compact camera, though in the past I have had:

Pentax Optio A40 - my first real camera, bought in 2009 with my birthday money, I had just turned 15 and had this dream that I wanted to be a photographer, very nice camera, great pics and vids, but I broke the screen about 3 times, I read that this was a common problem with that model.

Fuji Finepix - bought in a charity shop (thrift shop) in 2010, bought it to tide me over while the Pentax was having its screen replaced the second time. It still shot fairly good video for 2010

Nikon Coolpix S3300 - bought in 2011 to replace the Pentax, it recorded great photos and videos, but was terrible quality, I vlogged with it for a while, then sold it to my dad, when it was about 2 years old, it died, the plastic gears that drive the lens in and out wore down and no longer worked, again, a common problem on this model, they even sell replacement lens units on ebay :/

Toshiba Camileo BW10 - Waterproof camcorder, got this secondhand in 2011, it was great, I used it for vlogs on a road trip around Canada and America, took it whitewater rafting, tubing etc, and it worked really well. Though it has a problem now :/

Canon (can't remember exact model) - Bought in 2014 to use as a vlogging camera on a holiday to Tuscany, it too beautiful crystal clear pictures and video, but, every time I moved the camera during filming, it did this annoying thing where it re-focused, meaning about 5 seconds was blurry and unwatchable, this made the camera terrible for vlogging, I ended up giving it to my Dad as an apology for selling him my old Nikon :/

So, any recommendations for a compact camera? :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
unsure what your budget is but i really like Nikon (Only because i have a crap ton of adapters/filters and wide lenses for them already)

BobbyKryptonite

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
unsure what your budget is but i really like Nikon (Only because i have a crap ton of adapters/filters and wide lenses for them already)
I have always been fairly low budget, when I bought my Canon EOS 550D, I paid around £600 for it, and at the time it was the most expensive thing I ever bought. I am generally quite cheap, unless it's bikes or cameras. Nikon certainly have a very good name, though I was very disappointed with the compact I had, though I am sure they still make good DSLR's, I know plenty of people who use a Nikon DSLR, though I think my brand loyalty may lie with Canon. I would say my budget for a new compact would be under £200, my Mum recently bought the best selling (on amazon) compact Canon, I shot a test clip with it and was very impressed, I may get one for myself.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
you seem to shoot your videos with a backdrop close to your skin tone, makes it hard to actually see you but the quality is amazing.[DOUBLEPOST=1489871962,1489871892][/DOUBLEPOST]
/QUOTE]
If you have trouble seeing me I question your eyesight :(

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you have trouble seeing me I question your eyesight :(
i mean your skin tone blends with the backdrop, would be more visable against a contrasting color, something darker, like say green/blue/red so you are more pronounced.

lilmoogz

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use a Nikon D5300 with the 18-140mm zoom lens. The zoom lens is really handy in some situations. Love it so far!