Lessons I Learned During My First Year on YouTube

David Stoll

Not to be taken seriously
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
I just had my one-year anniversary as a creator on YouTube. I thought I’d share some insights about growth and what I did to increase technical quality over time. This is quite long, but there may be discreet parts of interest.

Caveats. Nothing here is really new—it’s all been said by other contributors. Also, as I post this, I have 133 subscribers, 7,849 views, and 30% retention (64% subscribed). So take this for whatever you think it is worth.

GROWTH INSIGHTS

If you build it, they will come (eventually). The good news is that if you consistently put up videos that your target audience will like, the audience will find you. The bad news is that it takes serious time and patience.

Where do babies come from?
Many of my very early viewers and subscribers were from YTTalk, but over time they have come from several sources:
  • Some subscribers are people whose small or mid-sized channels I have commented a lot on.
  • Some were subscribers of channels that have I since become YouTube friends with.
  • Over time, increasing numbers of viewers (and perhaps subscribers) have come through promotion by YouTube. In the last 28 days, nearly one-third of my views came from YouTube Suggested Video, YouTube Browse Features, and YouTube Other Features. I know some of this includes subscriber feed, but that’s still pretty sweet. Also, two recent subscribers have come from Recommended Channel. I don’t know how or why.
  • I don’t think many views or subscribers come from social media, nor do I believe I have had any traction from commenting on big channels.
(I can’t get no) Adisfaction. As an experiment and out of curiosity, I ran an AdWords campaign when my channel was fairly new. I got a lot of views but no subscribers. While my content is much better now, I suspect the result would be the same if I tried again.

Who am I? Why am I here? Any YouTuber will tell you that the earliest videos are cringe-worthy, and that is certainly true for me. I think this happens for two reasons, one obvious and one less so. Obviously, skill development through experience matters, but I also think it takes some people time to find their voices.

To have a good channel, I think you need to know what is your channel really about. My first 16 videos are just a hodgepodge of stuff. In my next ten videos, I can see my current online presence begin to emerge. Around my six-month mark, I found my voice and started making content that I am much more proud of. Also, my consistent viewers know what to expect more now than they might have before.

TECHNICAL QUALITY

In the beginning. Early on, I used my very old, barely HD video camera and edited in iMovie. I added background music after a few videos. My videos from that period look fine—not slick, just fine. And that is enough. If you are just getting started and don’t know how long the hobby will last, don’t spend money. You can get views and subscribers on the cheap.

I’m going to need a bigger camera. As I got hooked and started growing as a YouTube creator, I became dissatisfied with the way my videos looked. I wanted a more professional quality. I wasn’t prepared to spend on an SLR, but after a ton of research, I settled on the Canon G16. It’s great for talking to the camera and vlogging.

A leopard can change its spots (with editing software). With my fancier camera and higher definition raw files, I wanted more power to edit. I had outgrown iMovie. I chose Premiere Pro, which costs $19/month. Many hobbies are far more expensive than that. The more I learn about it, the more I use it.

You light up my life. I have had a very hard time with lighting and spend a ton of effort during editing to try to correct the color. Just a couple weeks ago, I bought a $70 lighting softbox set from Limo Studios. I am still figuring out the best placement of the lights and what tweaks I need during editing, but I am excited that my videos will soon have a consistent and more professional lighting look.
-----
I am not saying you need to make the choices I have made. I just wanted to share my experience of how and why I upgraded my equipment. I still have a long way to go before my videos look A+ professional, but I am having a great time in the process.

echoraven

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This should be required reading for any ambitious youtuber.
I upgraded my camera early on (nothing amazing, but a Canon Vixia) and lighting. Bouncing between iMovie and an older version of Premier and I've done this mostly because I'm trying to keep up with what my brain wants...

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
Like this post, it really shows that non of this happens over night. I didn't however have such depelopment on my channel. I still use the same camera from my first video, which is a Canon S120 powershot (can't complain). The progress I did make was implementing an end card at the end of my videos, improving my thumbnails and recently I moved from Windows Live Movie Maker to Sony Vegas Pro which has given me a lot more options (still figuring them all out).

forever4

Super Poster
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the insight!!! It's taking forever for me but it's all good I guess. Let's all keep trying! :)

Reactions: David Stoll

LordMongrel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Although most of this doesn't apply to me since I don't plan on showing my face, this is a great read! Good luck! :D

TheSoloSection

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Great post, David! I can certainly relate to the "I'm going to need a bigger camera" point. I'm just starting out and I'm finding that I just want more and more equipment. It's not just to reach out to other people, it's to satisfy myself with the quality of my videos. There are worse hobbies to have though.

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Mirandapanda

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes yes yes. After going through my first few months as a youtuber, I agree with allll of this. Especially the parts about not spending money in the beginning and gradually finding your identy. Excellent work! All newbies should read this :)

Reactions: BillyVlogsTV