Legality of using instrumentals for covers?

Zijin_cheng

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hello all, I've been doing quite a bit of research about posting song covers to Youtube, and while I found lots of information about creating covers of songs, I did not find much about using an instrumental as a backing track.

I know how to use the music policies section of Youtube to figure out what songs I can make covers of, but does this apply to using original instrumentals?

Many of the songs I would like to cover I usually use the original backing track and then sing over it. I see many youtubers doing that without any repercussions, but wanted to ask people on this channel if this is legal and how to go about doing it properly.

Reactions: darksmokeyt

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I wouldn't publish cover tracks at all unless they're properly cleared with the rights holders. There's separate rights for lyrics usage and music usage. Best check back with someone who knows all that legal stuff.
Tread carefully in this area, mine field ahead!
It doesn't get less wrong if others do it.

Zijin_cheng

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I wouldn't publish cover tracks at all unless they're properly cleared with the rights holders. There's separate rights for lyrics usage and music usage. Best check back with someone who knows all that legal stuff.
Tread carefully in this area, mine field ahead!
It doesn't get less wrong if others do it.
I know that all cover tracks are illegal no matter how they are created, however the Youtube Music Policies allows a workaround for Youtubers to share ad revenue with music creators to avoid their music being taken down. However, I know that this applies to covers where music and singing are recreated. What I want to do is use the instrumental master tracks and wondering how that differs from the generic Youtube Music policy for covers.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know that all cover tracks are illegal no matter how they are created, however the Youtube Music Policies allows a workaround for Youtubers to share ad revenue with music creators to avoid their music being taken down. However, I know that this applies to covers where music and singing are recreated. What I want to do is use the instrumental master tracks and wondering how that differs from the generic Youtube Music policy for covers.
No, there is no workaround. What you are doing is illegal, period. That YouTube allows revenue sharing, rather than dragging the offender into court doesn't make it okay. People need to stop rationalizing violating the law.

Zijin_cheng

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
No, there is no workaround. What you are doing is illegal, period. That YouTube allows revenue sharing, rather than dragging the offender into court doesn't make it okay. People need to stop rationalizing violating the law.
Not the question I was asking, I know its illegal and don't really care.

Zijin_cheng

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
And that's the problem. You should.
I don't really care when I'm breaking the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law. It's meant to protect the creator's rights, and they get their share of revenue when I upload a cover.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't really care when I'm breaking the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law. It's meant to protect the creator's rights, and they get their share of revenue when I upload a cover.
Except using the original backing tracks isn't a cover.

Zijin_cheng

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Except using the original backing tracks isn't a cover.
What is it? Illegal? I see many large Youtubers doing that, meaning that they have cash and a real target on their backs, and wondering how they navigate the legalities.

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've done this and you end up splitting your revenue with the copyright claim.
I have recently decided to try to stick to the Youtube Audio library, I can always find free
music to use from it.