Legality of my video idea

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have an idea for a video that I intend on doing tomorrow but it requires the videoing of peoples reactions. Am I able to upload their image without them agreeing to it?

Cheers,
The Taylor Brothers
Jack Vale does it all the time

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
You could always ask them after the idea so you get the surprise and permission. That and if they say no, you can always blur their face :)

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Technically you're not allowed.
Are you certain? I seem to recall the idea that there is implied consent in areas where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. Recording in a bathroom would be obviously bad, but recording on the side of the street is not problematic. I totally broke my own, don't post in this forum unless you're sure rule sticky.

Reactions: TheBatteryChicken

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Are you certain? I seem to recall the idea that there is implied consent in areas where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. Recording in a bathroom would be obviously bad, but recording on the side of the street is not problematic. I totally broke my own, don't post in this forum unless you're sure rule sticky.
Yes, since he's uploading the video to a site where it is used commercially people in the video have every right to request the video be taking down.

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
Yes, since he's uploading the video to a site where it is used commercially people in the video have every right to request the video be taking down.
Any chance you can quote a source for the legality of it? I'm curious as to the line drawn between direct coverage and incidental coverage (news media for example need not blur faces when recording a crowd, etc.).

Catie WahWah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Laws vary by country, but as basic professional courtesy you should always inform someone whose face is recognisably featured in a video that you will be putting it online if the camera is concealed. If you clearly have a camera then you can argue that anybody who sees it knows they might be filmed, but you should ask people afterward for their permission (and if possible draw up a release form) just so that you're covered for commercial use. That way if someone doesn't want their image online you can know not to use it and/or blur their face without getting in trouble later on.

Basically, it's the golden rule: treats others as you would like to be treated.

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
Any chance you can quote a source for the legality of it? I'm curious as to the line drawn between direct coverage and incidental coverage (news media for example need not blur faces when recording a crowd, etc.).
I retract my statements since looking back on it, the websites I used for the info aren't considered legitimate sources nor do they have a source so my info is not actually verified, sorry for giving out info that may not be correct.

Jackie Pearce

YouTuber, writer, nerd, sushi lover
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Like others said, it depends on the state/country. If you're in a public place, chances are you are 100% allowed to. It's how photographers can take pictures of people and still publish them without consent (I worked at a newspaper), but it is still nice if you can get it.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
You need them to agree to it, otherwise you have no protection if they ask for it to be taken down. 1 of the options for reporting a video is "Infringes my rights > Invades my privacy" you show their face, they no longer have privacy. It's 1 thing if someone is accidentally in your video but if you're making them a part of it then you should let them know, don't be an areshole, it could potentially impact them in a negative way.