Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hello everyone!

Everyone is always talking about the importance of the analytics page, so I look at it frequently (though it doesn't tell me much, since I only have 1 video up right now xD). However, I realized I often don't actually know what I'm exactly looking at. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit.
(Also, I'm not completely sure this is the right board for this, so feel free to move it)

Analytics || Tab: Overview

Watch time;; I assume this is the accumulated time my watchers have watched my video(s)? It's currently at 93 minutes and I only have one video up of 7:25 min, which now has 70 views.

Average view duration;; How long my viewers actually watch my video, I guess? It says 3:05, which seems quite low for a 7:25 min video. I was also wondering, does commenting affect this afferage view duration? Because if you want to respond to someones comment (on someone else's video, so you can't use the community tab), it always takes you to the video and starts playing it again and them you pause the video, reply and click it away. Does this affects the average?

Views;; Are these the views on your actual channel page? Because it says 30, eventhough I've had 70 views on the video.

Traffic sources;; I've already learned from a video that the 'browse features' are your subscribers, but what is 'channel pages'?

If you guys have any more tips and tricks on how to use the analytics page to my advance, I'd love to hear them!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
you are right about the watch time and average view duration, but the views actually are the total number of views on all your videos, the reason it is less than the amount on your video is because the analytics are delayed by 48 hours, so any views you got that day or the day before won't be shown, the YouTube studio app can give you an estimate of how many views you have gotten in the past 48 hours, and it is usually pretty accurate in my experience.

Katt Strike

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hey Dutchie!

YouTube have the Creator Academy which you can access through your dashboard on there. It teaches you things like analytics as well as channel strategy which is sooo useful!

With the analytics, I personally look at my demographic and where my traffic is coming from as well as retention.
I hate lookimg at retention because it shows where people are clicking away, but it's incredibly useful if you want to keep building your channel :)

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
you are right about the watch time and average view duration, but the views actually are the total number of views on all your videos, the reason it is less than the amount on your video is because the analytics are delayed by 48 hours, so any views you got that day or the day before won't be shown, the YouTube studio app can give you an estimate of how many views you have gotten in the past 48 hours, and it is usually pretty accurate in my experience.
Oooh, I didn't realize that! Thank you n.n

YouTube have the Creator Academy which you can access through your dashboard on there. It teaches you things like analytics as well as channel strategy which is sooo useful!

With the analytics, I personally look at my demographic and where my traffic is coming from as well as retention.
I hate lookimg at retention because it shows where people are clicking away, but it's incredibly useful if you want to keep building your channel :)
Yeah, I've come across it, but I haven't had the time to check it out. I will soon :) And I hate looking at retention as well xD But I'll really curious is the retention average is affected by people who come to the video again to reply to my reply.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use morningfa.me...it really helps me understand my analytics. It even shows you the type of videos your Audience want to watch. Great tool

Kinan Media

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’ll save you the trouble of deciphering, and explain the data you need to concentrate on

1. Use YouTube Analytics to Craft the Perfect Marketing Message
Do you know who’s actually watching your videos?What if I told you that your viewing audience may be completely different than what you expected?
By clicking on the demographics tab, you can quickly determine the age and location of the people actually watching your YouTube videos.

2. Use Analytics to Rank Higher in Search
How engaging are your videos? Does your audience enjoy your content? You may think so – but how do you know for sure? Do they watch every second? Or do they leave immediately?
If you scroll down to your video “Retention Rate” you can see the average watch time for each video.
3. Use YouTube Analytics To Increase Traffic to Your Website
This step is where we start to really optimize our BUSINESS. We’re talking website traffic, leads, and sales. Our goal is to turn as many viewers into leads as possible. This is done through YouTube annotations (they’re kind of like clickable billboards that allow you to send traffic from videos to your website).
By looking at individual video analytics you can see dips and spikes within your video where viewers are engaged, and when the majority leave.

4. Use YouTube Analytics to Collect Data for Paid Advertising
Using analytics is extremely important when it comes to gathering information for paid advertising. You can use YouTube analytics to craft the perfect marketing message and define your targeting when it comes to paid advertising… whether thats on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. By seeing which videos get the most views, you can decipher which subjects of your videos are most popular to your market.This allows you to create ads that hit pain points or spark interest for your market.

Ok. God Bless You,