Learn public speaking

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd recently had someone comment on a stream that I must have been streaming/making videos a long time to be as comfortable as I am. I replied this was not the case, that I'd done public speaking before and that this just carried over.

It got me thinking that this could be a tip for YTTalks (I have not seen any mention of it). I don't know if this has been talked about much here, but it's a subject that I believe will help boost a creator's skillset. Learning public speaking helps boost confidence, retain audience attention, plan better, and articulate what you say.

Do you folks believe this is a subject we should expand upon, and possibly make a page or even a video about?

Reactions: videoeditgr

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I hate public speaking. My stomach turns over and I go into panic. I talk too fast.. Erm/Urg/Oooh etc
I have watched YT videos to try and help but I could definitely do with some further pointers.

I wonder if this will help with recording a YT video though? When on camera I try not to consider hundreds/thousands of people are watching. Instead I try to act more intimately as if I was talking to just 1 person / a friend.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My stomach turns over and I go into panic.
a couple of beers help a lot. :D :p

I talk too fast.
a couple of beers make it worse :p :p :p

Sorry for the offtopic!!! I think that one either "got" it with public / camera speak either not. Guess that practicing helps, but most succesful people are naturals. Public speach require also soething else, preparation. Answering back in anything fast and to the point :)

Reactions: OldManTenno

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wonder if this will help with recording a YT video though? When on camera I try not to consider hundreds/thousands of people are watching. Instead I try to act more intimately as if I was talking to just 1 person / a friend.
I think it does, as this is the approach I take when speaking publicly or when talking to the camera. They are not strangers I'm talking to, but my friends. Learning public speaking made me more cognizant of things like my posture and hand gestures (forms of non-verbal communication). I was very guilty about trying to fill space by saying "ummm", I think I've done well by pretty much removing that. These two alone help project a sense of confidence even without saying many words. Even just recording voice with no camera, people can tell the difference in tone just by confidence.

There are people who "have it" more naturally than others, but no one really thinks that their upbringing probably showed them this skill (parenting teaches more than just words). Point is, it's a learned skill that anyone can pick up. There was a club in Dallas that met to teach these things. I remember one woman of small stature who was shy and very introverted, dreading the thought of having to talk to more than a couple people. But she took this up because she knew it was important to the career she wanted. It took her a while, but she became MUCH more confident in doing it and seemed like a different person from when she started. If she can do it, I know anyone here can. :)

Reactions: EVO and videoeditgr

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I took public speaking and debate when I was in high school and I learned a lot of good tips like don’t say like, erm, umm when you’re giving a speech. A lot of stuff I learned I carried it over to my content, same goes with the acting and voice classes I took and being in drama club.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
a couple of beers help a lot
Beers help with every situation.[DOUBLEPOST=1540851571,1540851333][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think it does, as this is the approach I take when speaking publicly or when talking to the camera. They are not strangers I'm talking to, but my friends.
This is what I try to do.

Most people think I can speak in public. My wedding speach was good. My best mans speach was good. I am a sales person and have been for 10+ years, but on the inside I am pooping myself. On the outside I appear calm and collected.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've noticed something similar, but the opposite -- making videos has helped my public speaking. Actually, I think it's helped my speaking in general lol. Now, I seem to focus more on articulation -- something I used to never pay attention to. I still get nervous for public speaking more than I do for a video, but at least I can speak a little slower and pronounce the words a bit better lol.

curiousflavor

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Interesting idea of how to improve your videos.

In fact, I'm sort of the opposite. I enjoy making videos to try and improve my story telling ability. I sort of train / force myself to get better at telling succinct yet interesting anecdotes of my life.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For anyone struggling with public speaking, be sure to check out Toastmasters. They likely have a group in your area. It’s totally free and you basically get up in front of a supportive audience also trying to learn public speaking and you give a speech. The audience critiques you, and even uses a little buzzer when you say err, umm, etc.

It’s a great way to get used to speaking in public by using a supportive audience that’s there to do the same thing. A VERY welcoming and low-pressureenvireonment. I live in a rather small area and we have 5-6 Toastmaster groups.