Learn from my mistakes... TAGS

WillyGChino

Reaction score
When tagging your video, you want to reach the widest audience possible. Meaning that, you want to use the most popular words when tagging your videos. But how much is too much? Well, I learned the hard way...

I saw a few videos on YouTube while doing personal research on how to brand my channel or grow my channel. I found a few videos that spoke about tagging. I noticed in the description of a few videos that additional tags were used in the description box (since YT limits the number of tags in each video). Anyways, I took this approach and I went even deeper. I began to use tags that weren't even related to my video, in hopes to become more search engine optimized. I saw others do it on YT, so I thought why would my little channel matter...

I had a total of 32 videos taken down by YT, Rejected Content. Basically, I spammed my videos with too many tags that weren't related to my video. So please learn from my mistakes!
DO NOT SPAM TAG YOUR VIDEOS!

Here is an alternative that I have found...
I just Googled "Keyword Tool Youtube". Just type is that name of the game and the most popular words searches will pop up giving you the best tags to use! Here is the URL just in case...
keywordtoolDOTio/youtube

I hope this helps some of you. Hopefully I can help you skip this mistake and save you some time!
WillyGChino

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yep putting any tags in a tags section in the description no matter if they are related or not are against the YouTube TOS so it's best to stay away from that. It is a good idea to try and incorporate keywords into the actual video description and Title though as that would help.

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
That sucks you had to find out the hard way. If only you had been on YTTalk sooner and read some of the great sticky posts about SEO and tags :cool: Hopefully it doesn't deter you too much and you'll keep making videos :thumbsup2:

iS-iPad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That sucks but its good you found this Keyword thingy to help you out :)

KlausGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the heads up! Here's another tip for keyword research. Google will suggest the most searched keywords in the autofill form when you begin typing in your search. Google will also suggest two columns of keywords at the bottom of the search results page after you searched.

If you want to be really thorough use the Google Adwords keyword suggestion tool that will give you keywords suggestions that are related as well as search volume estimates!

Keywords in the title and description of the video will also help Google figure out what your video is all about and therefore make it more likely to rank for those keywords.

Reactions: iS-iPad

TheIDIOTBowi

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for the tips, but I have a question.

I believe you know YouTube have some like tags suggestion, and I always click or choose what tags that YouTube suggest to me and that kind of many tags, are you think that is dangerous?

iS-iPad

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the tips, but I have a question.

I believe you know YouTube have some like tags suggestion, and I always click or choose what tags that YouTube suggest to me and that kind of many tags, are you think that is dangerous?
Sometimes I think they aren't very useful. But does it help create traffic on your video?

Vir

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It's sad that you found that out the hard way :( but keep on going mate :)