Lav or Shotgun, etc

Reaction score
Hey gang. How are you guys. I just signed up to these board.

Been doing a lot of research. Am on a budget. I do a reaction show from my spare bedroom. I use my iphone 6s (front facing, I will change this, but I like the confidence it gives me seeing myself in the screen) with the standard phone mic and iMovie to edit the video from my 2015 MB Pro.

What I want to ask is about audio. After much research I decided upon the Boya BY-M1 as a starter lav mic to improve the audio which sounds decent but echo-ey no matter how much I try to deaden the sound. Was going to go with the Rode Smartlav but the cord was too short and in multiple review the difference between the two was hardly noticeable.

I was ALL SET to get the Rode Videomic Go, but again reviewers turned me off of that one (interference issues) and was then gonna get the Videomicro. Was the talked out of a shotgun mic for my set up as it was suggested going with the lave for what I want to do would be just as good if not better.

One thing I am reading though is that to get the most out of the lav, I need to download the Rode Record app which is about 6-8 bucks as I recall. Ok no problem. BUT, I use my iphone on a tripod to record my videos, and the point of that lave was to plug directly into my smart phone. SO (sorry I have been wanting to ask these questions for weeks):

1. Did I make the right call, going for a lav over small shotgun mike for my set-up?? (Biggest thing is crisper audio which will do the best job of eliminating that tin-ny echo-ey sound. and..

2. Can I use that recording app while on my smart phone WHILE using the phone to record my voice?? Is the app used in post? Do I need to match my vocals to my video in post with that lav??

Sorry for the long post. Any advice on these issues would be appreciated..

Last edited by a moderator: