Launching a mobile app through your channel?

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Has anyone here ever launched a mobile app through their channel, as further way of making money?

A good friend of mine is an app developer and we spent quite a while brainstorming some useful, yet simple to create apps for my niche. Of course, marketing is going to be the issue and we are wondering whether a successful Youtube channel alone can help make an app a success.

Has anyone else tried this?

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
That seems rather obscure to me, I don't know any Youtubers who've done that.
It could work, if your brand extends past Youtube, but making a totally new app specifically just for your Youtube stuff seems incredibly silly and pointless.

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think you misinterpreted what I meant slightly.

The app wouldn't be to do with the channel really, but related to the niche. So for instance, if you had a cooking channel which was videos of you preparing different meals, then maybe an app with recipes, or how to measure ingredients etc..

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
marketing is going to be the issue and we are wondering whether a successful Youtube channel alone can help make an app a success
A succesful YouTube channel can make a commercial success of a great many things; a book, a clothing line, a range of perfumes...and yes...an app.
The question I would ask though is how an app would be any more profitable than the other things that I mentioned?
You used the example of an app that contained recipes, but to be honest I think many people are like me and just watch a YouTube video as they are cooking (which explains the food particles I occasionally find on my keyboard).
I'm guessing that your channel is not related to cooking though and that you have a very specific niche and a specific app in mind that you would like to develop for it. If you are looking for feedback on whether this would be commercially viable then it would depend a great deal upon the costs of creating the app, just how successful your YT channel is, and of course how useful the app is.

Reactions: KatyAdelson