Lacking A Female Audience: Is It Bad?

What percentage of your audience is female?

• Total voters
I'm sure there's channels where no men watch, so it's no problem. I made a video about girls day once though and it still got watched by 35%men! What??

This topic has been on my mind for a while now. Lately I have seen a trend of content creators (mainly male Youtubers) complaining about their lack of a female audience. There complaints would go along the lines of "why are only 5% of my viewers female" or something similar to that.

I have also seen a trend of content creators (once again mostly male) who have been criticized and mocked for having a small female audience. The thing I find most surpising of all is that I haven’t seen complaints or criticisms of the reverse (a content creator lacking a male audience).

These findings have me very confused, and it makes me feel like I'm missing something important. I thought good quality and not being a jerk was enough to attract both men and women to your channel, but it seems that women are looking for more. If so, what are they looking for? I know a lot of guys who struggle to build a female audience, and even other women who struggle to do so. I tried finding the answer to my question on Google, but I failed. I came here hoping that someone would know. Here are my questions:

Why is a lack of a female audience seen as a bad thing (especially for male content creators), but a lack of a male audience isn't?

Is a female audience more valuable than a male audience? Why or why not?

What are the consequences a content creator could face for failing to have a decently sized female audience? Could the same consequences be faced if their male fanbase was lacking instead?

How does one grow a female audience?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Does any of you have similar experiences of having trouble gaining a female audience? I look forward to hearing your responses.

I don't think it matters if more boys watch your content than girls. If you think about it us boys have more in common and the same applies with girls. If you look at girls who do beauty, fashion or DIY videos most of their audience are girls and they have a small percentage of guys.

In addition to what @Lightsen said female viewers are assumed to get more engaged in a channel once they like it. So they are wanted for a stronger fan base. But this only works if your videos are tailored to certain niches.

I also have a very small percentage of female audience. It's about 5-10% female, and I'm pretty sure that's just from me watching my own videos (derp T.T).

I do realise I have a really small channel though, so mine is not a good sample size regardless.

To answer your question, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I seriously don't know why anyone would mock anyone for it. And you never know, some of those male accounts could be actually female. I used to have male accounts all the time, especially in games.

My audience is about 75% male, 25% female.

I don't know if that's good or bad. Sometimes I wish I could make "girlier" videos.. oh well

Oddly enough my genre is gaming and I was genuinely expecting a measly 1% (if even) of my audience to be female, but a little over 20% of them are female! I personally don't see this as a problem or even an advantage. Views mean you are generally getting to your target audience. Just look over your content, and make sure you aren't in fact just doing something females don't watch like monster trucks or something. :)

I do car related stuff. And I am no god amongst men. So yeah, the females will not watch my channel. It is fine though, I do it for fun and am luckily happily married for over 10 years.

Why is this so important? Maybe a lot of females like different things than guys. For example my channel is a gaming channel and I have, like, 4% female viewers. What is important to me is that my viewers enjoy my content, whether they're a dude or a dudette. So what, if they don't watch? :)

Back