Lacking A Female Audience: Is It Bad?

What percentage of your audience is female?

• Total voters

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have a 25% female audience. I don't think it's down to anything specific. Like someone else said, more men watch youtube than women. Could be the more women favour traditional tv than youtube. Would be interesting to see if that audience grows along with youtube expanding into the TV on demand market

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
the reason people want women isn't diversity, its cause their views tend to pay more. Why? Because brands pay more for women since they think they buy more stuff.
I'm a girl and nearly every single ad I've ever received on a video has been targeted specifically for women (I've also had that irritating league ad mentioned earlier).

there are less women on YouTube in general so don't worry about having less of them in your views.its not a bad thing, just expect that there will be less girls into car videos and FPS gaming, just like there's less men into makeup tutorials and 'the sims' playthroughs.

oh my channel is 68% dudes and 31% lasses btw

Last edited:

QuestionMan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I guess it depends on the type of channel. I do outdoors type stuff and probably the places I promote have more males. I only have about 9% female audience although some of my biggest fans are female so go figure.
Yeah someone mentioned earlier that your female audience size can depend on the type of content you make. It's interesting that your biggest fans are females, considering your small female audience size. It would be interesting to understand why.[DOUBLEPOST=1492004906,1492003886][/DOUBLEPOST]
Personally I've got a ~80% female audience and it's because of the type of videos I do. I think if you really want to know how people attract a female demographic and how it differs watch different kinds of content and see what they do to attract that demographic. Watch DIY or beauty vids like LaurDIY, watch the popular male vloggers like Dan and Phil. Compare those types of content to the more mixed audiences like Jacksepticeye and videos from the other side of the spectrum like Tomska. Check out the comment section see how the fans differ. Obviously there's overlap, for example I like watching all the youtubers I named, but you can still tell what demographic is most likely watching. Knowing your audience is really important.
This was a really informative response. Studying how people who already have a large female audience make content and the fan reaction does give information on what their demographic is & how to attract it. Even with content that stereotypically has a small female audience (such as gaming), there's still some YouTubers that have a decently sized female audience in those fields. Maybe looking into that can help too. I'm gonna look into the people you mentioned and see what they do differently from people with a "sausage fest" audience.[DOUBLEPOST=1492005363][/DOUBLEPOST]
For gaming at least I feel it largely has to do with the types of games you are playing. If you go play League of Legends I would think you would have more than 3% female audience.(maybe it's just a stereotype, but they run ads targeted at getting female players) Another game I've been getting into lately is the Sims 4, and that game has tons of female YouTubers, so I would expect the audience to be different for that. If and when I do upload Sims 4 videos to a new channel, I'll let you know what the stats look like compared with my other channels.

I do think different interests factor into the equation, but mabye if I stopped saying "bro" so much that would also help...
I feel like different interests factor into the equation too. Some games attract more females than others for a reason. What are those reasons? And I know some companies run ads to target more females, so that could play a role too. As for constantly saying "bro", experiment and see if not saying "bro" a lot has an effect lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1492005772][/DOUBLEPOST]
Men spend 44% more time on YouTube than women and so most people would have more watch time from males.

I don't think anybody values either gender's views more. People just talk about female views more because they're rarer, I suppose.

On the other hand, I'm sure a bulk of YouTubers really like the idea of having a bunch of girls fangirling over them. ;)
Hmmmmm. Curious as to where you found that statistic. If it is true, it would make sense as to why most people have audiences that are made up of mostly males. As for female views being rarer, I could see why they could be considered rare, especially for a content creator with a sausage fest audience, but for content creators with a mostly female audience, female views aren't so rare. What do they do differently that lead them to attract more females to their channel? And the idea of having fangirls chase after you does sound amusing lol

QuestionMan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a 25% female audience. I don't think it's down to anything specific. Like someone else said, more men watch youtube than women. Could be the more women favour traditional tv than youtube. Would be interesting to see if that audience grows along with youtube expanding into the TV on demand market
"More men watch youtube than women". Do you have a statistic for that? If you did, it would help out a lot. And it could be that women prefer traditional tv, but in order to truly find out, someone would have to do a study on it in order to look into it further.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have around 35% Female and would love to see it closer to 50/50

QuestionMan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
the reason people want women isn't diversity, its cause their views tend to pay more. Why? Because brands pay more for women since they think they buy more stuff.
I'm a girl and nearly every single ad I've ever received on a video has been targeted specifically for women (I've also had that irritating league ad mentioned earlier).

there are less women on YouTube in general so don't worry about having less of them in your views.its not a bad thing, just expect that there will be less girls into car videos and FPS gaming, just like there's less men into makeup tutorials and 'the sims' playthroughs.

oh my channel is 68% dudes and 31% lasses btw
Where did you find this information? This is probably the most interesting response I have received yet. There is a trend of advertisers spending more money to attract more female viewers, so I can see why female views would cost more and be seen as more valuble. You brought some really good ideas to the table.

Reactions: Lightsen

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
"More men watch youtube than women". Do you have a statistic for that? If you did, it would help out a lot. And it could be that women prefer traditional tv, but in order to truly find out, someone would have to do a study on it in order to look into it further.
Thats why I said 'could'. There is plenty of data out there if do a simple search. I can't link to any as I don't have permissions. But the stats clearly state that whilst the split between users is pretty even, men use youtube 44% more than women do, and out of 51 categories measured by openslate, men make up the majority of viewership in 90% of them. Why me. Use youtube more I have no idea, but it is a fact.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Where did you find this information? This is probably the most interesting response I have received yet. There is a trend of advertisers spending more money to attract more female viewers, so I can see why female views would cost more and be seen as more valuble. You brought some really good ideas to the table.
I've heard the information from a lot of YouTube certified channels like Deral eves and others, but recently had my YouTube consultation rep also confirm it to me. So its definitely info that's getting passed around quick!

MintApocalypse

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This was a really informative response. Studying how people who already have a large female audience make content and the fan reaction does give information on what their demographic is & how to attract it. Even with content that stereotypically has a small female audience (such as gaming), there's still some YouTubers that have a decently sized female audience in those fields. Maybe looking into that can help too. I'm gonna look into the people you mentioned and see what they do differently from people with a "sausage fest" audience.
Good luck in your quest. ;)